Is it all right for the government to turn victimless acts into criminal ones?

• Criminalization has a place

Victimless in the law may not mean victimless in reality. Take Trash Island. There is an island of trash floating in the Pacific Ocean that is the size of Texas. Someone should be responsible for ruining the planet like that. It has very few positives, and mostly negatives, so someone should be held accountable.

• Not if they are truly victimless

A victimless crime is typically the type that has little or identifiable evidence of an individual that has suffered damage in the infraction. Examples include violations of laws concerning public decency or public order, and include the sale, possession, and use of illicit drugs, prostitution, trafficking in pornography, and gambling. But I do think there should be some distinctions among the "victimless crimes". For example public decency crimes may truly be victimless but gambling is often not truly so- it's addictive, people may steal or cheat to get funds for gambling, and people do hurt others to pursue it.

• All Right For The Government

I personally think that it is not all right for the government to turn victimless acts into criminal ones because what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. I personally think that it is not all right for the government to turn victimless acts into criminal ones because if that individual did not do the crime why should they be punished for it.

• Combination of different level crimes exists.

If I was gonna agree with this question that a victimless act must turn into a criminal one then the level of different crimes won't make any sense for us. Another words, why do we say felony? Or why do we say misdemeanor? Of course the level of their criminal act makes difference. When US government has such a great law about crime, corruption, records, movement, then why would someone think that a victimless act should be turned into a criminal one. No, because a criminal act has its own version and way of judgment and a victimless act should have its own way of judgment based on the quality of its crime.

• No It Isn't

I do not believe it is right for the government to turn victimless acts into criminal ones. I think America has a problem enacting laws that do just that. The War on Drugs has been particularly bad about it, but there are laws on the state and local levels that are equally unfounded.