• I think our forefathers and mothers would want us to be happy!

Have you ever seen pictures of Armistice Day? People are dancing in the street, overjoyed and full of happiness. We should celebrate the heroism and sacrifice of fallen soldiers and everyone else who sacrificed their sons, fathers, family members, friends...We should feel joyous. I believe that my grandfathers would want us to be toasting them over a drink and sharing stories of their bravery and heroism. God bless them, they are true heroes.

• Whether or not you approve of the wish, Happy Memorial Day, is a personal preference.

Those who appreciate the sacrifices made by those who gave their life to defend their country and our freedom are entitled to feel happy about that and within their right to say 'Happy Memorial Day'. It does not mean we are happy that anyone died; it means we're happy that we have our freedom because there were soldiers who were willing to give the ultimate sacrifice for liberty and freedom. Those who choose only to dwell on death do not have to use those words.

• Yes, by doing so you are honoring the fallen.

Absolutely! By saying Happy Memorial Day you are honoring the sacrifice of those who gave their lives to protect ours. We SHOULD be happy, not they have fallen, but that they were brave enough to risk doing so. No war ends with no casualties and the ones we honor fought in just wars.

• Yes, say, 'Happy Memorial Day'!

Yes, it is appropriate to say 'Happy Memorial Day.' In offering this greeting, you are acknowledging this person and wishing them a good day in any way that pleases or helps them. I understand that some people feel Memorial Day should be solemn and somber. Those people may choose to do so. I also think it is appropriate for some people to hold celebrations and family gatherings. They should do this as well. In the end, everyone is setting this one day aside, either by taking a day off work, holding somber remembrances, or family celebrations. All these people are recognizing the holiday and that is good. To everyone, I say, "Happy Memorial Day!"

• It is perfectly appropriate to say 'Happy Memorial Day'

It is perfectly appropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day," at least to people who are not on some mission to be offended. While Memorial Day is a time to reflect on the service of those who died defending liberty, it should also be celebrated for the very same reason - that liberty is alive and well. That's something to be happy about.

• IT is highly inappropriate - it is a day of reverence not partying

It is highly inappropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day"...You may say "have a thoughtful and reverent Memorial Day" or just say nothing at all (preferable). We must respect the families and friends who have lost loved ones. Be respectful. Have your picnics, but remember why we are observing memorial day.

• The Real Meaning

Those who Say Happy Memorial day either did not have someone close to them die in a war or are so caught up in themselves they fail to see the real reason for the day. I'ts not even a day to honor veterans we have our day, it is a day to Honor those who gave their lives in service to our country.

• It is not

Try saying "happy remembering your child day" one year after a persons child dies. Doesn't work. Wishing someone a safe memorial weekend fits best if you want them to enjoy their day. Regardless of how you wish someone to enjoy the day, just taking time to remember what it is about is the actual important part. The second important part is using your freedom to spend time with family and loved ones. Your freedom is important and it may have been a person like you they were thinking of before they passed. Thank you for caring enough to look this up.

• No, it is not appropriate to say “happy Memorial Day”.

It seems disrespectful to say “happy Memorial Day. Would you say “Enjoy Jan’s funeral”? Memorial Day is a day to honor the fallen. It is a somber occasion, not a happy day. I don’t think anyone who has lost their friend, spouse, brother or sister in war is having a “happy Memorial Day”.

• A day of remembrance and reflection, not celebration!

As a military spouse who has over 48 months of my husband deployed in highly dangerous situations not knowing if he would come home, I find it disrespectful to those who have lost their love ones to be out celebrating the deaths of their love ones. So for those of us who did not directly lose a love ones, we still lost many outstanding friends and acquaintances so there is nothing "Happy" about this day!

• It is not very appropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day."

Memorial Day is a holiday to commemorate soldiers who died serving their country, and it may be a very somber day for many families and friends of soldiers. It would be inappropriate to use the word 'happy' when talking about a day commemorating those who died in combat. Saying "have a good Memorial Day" is a good thing to say instead.