Is it better to be an atheist than to follow a religion?

• No religions can be Substantiated, their beliefs are not Justifiable:

It is actually Irrational to follow beliefs that have no verifiable truth, nor evidence to support them. No religions have any Justification for their existence, they are all derived from Subjective Fantasies and Hallucinations. It is by far more rational to believe in that which can be Substantiated.
    Disbelief in religion due to lack of evidence for religion can be completely Substantiated.
    Atheism is a position of Justifiable Disbelief.
    Atheism is thus, SUBSTANTIATED.
    Unlike Religions.

• No Fake Rules To Follow

Religion just seems to make up rules as they go along. I guess all society does that, but religion seems to only do it when they do not like what other people believe. While I am not an atheist, I get that they do not worry one day to the next about other people's beliefs. That is because they do not believe in God. So, why are they even going to think about other people's Gods they do not believe in?

• Being an atheist is better.

Being an atheist, I do think that it is better than following a religion. The reason for this is that religion warps and deludes people, even though it provides them comfort. I would prefer to know the hard facts of reality than to worship a wizard in the sky, hoping it will give me guidance.

• Would You Rather Be Free or Be A Sheep?

I honestly find that science is the truth. I think that religion WAS (keyword: was) good back in the day but we honestly do not need it now. We are so advanced in technology that we do not need those old ideals now, everything can be explained with science. Wanna know how we are the way we are, evolution. Wanna know how rain works, the water cycle. Wanna know what makes us up, atomic theory. Everything can be explained with science. Also, why do religious people look up to murderers? A lot of religious figures like God promoted murder, mostly in the Old Testament but in the New Testament as well. Then the Bible just ridicules people of other races, the Romans, the Jews, the Egyptians I think you get the picture.

• Hi h h

G f d d d. D. F g g f f f f f f. Off f f f f f f f f f f. F f f f f d ff f. F f f f. F f f. G f f g g g g g g g

• Yes, it is

This is basically asking: Is it better to be free or to be a sheep who follows a set of ridiculous rules made up by a nutter thousands of years ago who claimed to be the vessel of which a magical fairy in the sky spoke to. Might I remind you, if that were to happen today, that man would be seen as crazy and treated for some kind of brain disease.

Religion also causes laziness - Praying to god that some miracle happens instead of actually moving your ass and working.

Let's put it this way: Imagine your child has a terminal illness that can be treated with a few weeks in hospital, but instead, you decide to pray to some magical fairy in the sky that your child is cured. Your child then dies because you chose to put you faith in a made up bloke in the sky rather than actually sending your child to a hospital to be cured. Would you not buy your child any presents for Christmas and instead hope that Santa brings them presents? No, because you know better than that. You know Santa doesn't exist and that you need to put an effort in for your child.

Remember how bad life was before society actually became civilised? That's how life will be if everyone put their faith into religion. Might I remind you that people used to think the sun set and rose by the command of god? And that the world used be the centre of universe? Might I also remind you that we thought basically everything, including illness, was caused by god, until you know, science. I think I've proved my point. Feel free to try and argue against me, even debate me if you wish, but you won't succeed.

• Better off believing then seeing the truth.

The problem is that if you are an atheist, you will get shunned and be disgraced by most. I'm no religious person but I keep it to myself. The thing is that you keep your atheist stuff to yourself while believing in a religion publicly. Also, beware and remember religion's past horrible things such as the Crusades, indulgences, etc.

• We can just chill without some god watching us.

People have natural right to love each other no matter what their sexual orientation is. We have the right to create happiness. For me, I have beliefs that are video game based, irrevelant to god. Science is the REAL truth, although it is not complete yet. There's nothing better than chilling and watching the real stars all night.

• Yes and no

Yes, for the world as a whole. You are probably "on average" going to leave this world better off than a religious person would. No, for the person. You are going to have a lot of enemies if you understand the need for speaking out, or you're going to hide it.

• Be a scientist

I think that the best thing to be is not an atheist, who hates religion, but be a person who believes in science, and believes that the use of the facts that have been found and the theories in place can accurately produce the way that everything was made here.

• Follow A Religion

I personally think that being an atheist is not better than following a religion. I personally think that following a religion gives an individual time to learn themselves as well as learning their religion. I personally think that following a religion is based on how an individual feels and believes in.

• this is something....disagree

Being an atheist is better. Being an atheist, I do think that it is better than following a religion. The reason for this is that religion warps and deludes people, even though it provides them comfort. I would prefer to know the hard facts of reality than to worship a wizard in the sky, hoping it will give me guidance.

• Better off believing than seeing the truth.

• That is way too broad of a question

When people refer to religion, they assume people are a bunch of sheep following the command's of their master. It is far from the truth, that is why I despise using the word "religion." I'm not apart of an organized religion, because that sounds too man-made. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. God has all the answers, not humans. If you don't believe in God, it just means that you believe there is nothing perfect in the universe. But is that all that means? No, it means that you believe you don't need God. It means that you don't even want a God in your life. Being a believer doesn't mean someone who isn't free, it's the opposite! With God in my life I am free. I feel powerful, I feel hopeful, I don't feel chained. It's like waking up, it doesn't mean you're an idiot who is conforming to Santa Claus in the sky rather than "Science." It doesn't mean someone that is a perfect little saint. Those are all completely misconceptions. There are those who are apart of an organized religion, there are those who have a real relationship with Jesus Christ, and those who don't believe in a higher power. You may say two of them are the same, but it's not true. I'd rather be an Atheist than someone who is fooled into thinking they'll be in Heaven. Sorry to sound harsh, but just because you go to church and believe in God...Means nothing. It means a life full of not only emptiness but ignorance. You may say 'I don't believe in God, and I couldn't be happier!' Well I believe you, but if you're not seeking for anything, then you wouldn't know that you're missing something.

• First Define What 'Better' Means.

I don't care so much what one person's religion is as what they do with it. Be a Christian if that truly has a positive impact on your life, just don't protest outside abortion clinics, threaten anyone who isn't a Christian with eternal hellfire, or act like evolution is a made-up hoax by the scientific community and demand that creationism be taught in public schools. Every person is different, and different people cope with difficult situations in various ways. It's only once your religion imposes limits on what I- and others- can do that becomes a problem.