Is it considered sexist for a man to hold a door open for a woman?

• With an asterisk

A man only opening doors for women is sexist. If said courteous behavior spans all genders in both action and reception, it is not sexist. People should hold doors open for people because it is a nice thing to do, not because someone's genitalia makes them somehow weaker and in need of constant supervision.

Posted by: ztal
  • Supports The Patriarchy

Whether or no they're doing it with good intentions, they are still playing into the stereotype that women need someone to take care of them and being a "gentleman" is the only way to please the right kind of woman. Most men who hold open doors for women would never hold open a door for a man.

• Car doors are different.

A door to a building is going to be a gender-neutral and polite hold. A car door, on the other hand, is silly, unnecessary, and patronizing. Would you do the same for a man? If yes, it is consistent and not sexist, but I suspect it's no in most cases.

• This is ridiculous

This is an argument from people actively seeking offense in absolutely everything. Of course it isn't sexist. In fact, you should hold the door open for all people, it's called being a decent person. What's frustrating to me is the fact that complaints about this stuff delegitimize actual instances of sexism.

• A sign of respect.

I was raised that women deserve my respect and honor. To open a door or stand when one enters the room is a sign of respect and honor to women. It was never about a weaker sex. To not do so, is an insult and sexist to me. Why would anyone be offended at that?

• No, it's a nice gesture

I've never, ever felt like I offended a woman by holding the door for them. I think that's just common courtesy, I'd be stunned if I actually upset somebody doing it. I think calling that gesture sexist is a real reach, sexism is still a problem in our society but this doesn't apply.

• I am a full-fledged, raging feminist

And, still, men have bigger arms.

Also, some men are so polite that they cannot not hold the door.
    I am happy to thank them.

I want to take this minute to say that I am happy to punch women who think that I should hold the door for them - mostly foreign women who are younger than me - will not touch the door and push through or let it hit me TOO OFTEN when my hands are full and theirs are empty.
    If you want to know why some people hate immigrants, look to your manners - not your DNA

• Appreciate manners where you can get them

It's not sexist at all, it is just the polite thing to do. Besides people hold the door open for other people regardless of sex. So, basically no, it's just polite, and with the shrinking use of politeness, I would appreciate it if any one held the door open, whether it's a man or woman.

• It is not

I fail to see how in the heckies a man holding a door open for a woman could ever be considered sexism. So what, the person holding the door has a dong? It's no big deal. It's the exact same as if that person had a vagine. If this is considered sexism, we're ages away from true gender equality.

• Yes, i know you can open a door.

It will only be a problem if you make it. It's just nice to do. I know you can open a door, just accept the fact that I'm being nice, thank me (or not), and be on your way. Also, weren't these the people that said compliments were sexist..? Just, please... Get some help.

• Yes, i know you can open a door.

• Yes, i know you can open a door.

• Sexist is buying your son shorts and your daughter skirts. Sexist is buying your boy Leggo's and your daughter magic wands.

If the feminists want to truly attack the root of sexism they need to change how kids are raised. If a girl is given skirts that can't get dirty, and brushes and dolls and makeup, they will be lacking in major technical skills that they would have gained had they been given Leggo's, Erector sets, circuity kits, and science-based field trips.