Is it ethical for colleges, parents, or employers to search social networking sites for information about people?

• Yes, Why Not?

Do kids even tell their parents their using social media? Do they even look at the license and agreements before they sign up to realize they ned to be over 16 and if not consult parents for permission. Why should parents not have the right to know what their kids are doing on social media? Shouldn't they already know that they're using it, shouldn't the kids be open minded to telling them if they did nothing wrong. The whole reason why kids "Think" parents don't have a right is because they don't want to show them what really going on behind their computer screens.

• YYYEEESS why Not!

Why wouldn't they look you up. If you are a gang banger and want to bing that to the college community then that is going to be really bad for the college of course. Keep all of those drugs and gang bagners away from our schools. That is not needed and not wanted

• Yes, because it is.

I am debating the affirmative side, so I would like to vote as such. If you post something online, it is out there for everyone to view: Teachers, Friends, Family, That Creepy Guy Down The Street, and Future Employers. It is only fair that if one person willingly posts their personal life to the internet, that it can be used against them.

People need to realize that once something is on the internet, it is there forever. If people's "personal" lives are so "personal" then why are people displaying it on a public website? Personally, I deleted my Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter because as I was applying to college I realized I wanted them to understand more of who I am by my application, not some stupid Facebook posts I made when I was 13.

When you put something on the internet no matter if you set it to private others will be able to find a way out what your posting. I'm sorry if someone is talking about doing a criminal act on facebook and I was going to hire then as a babysitter I would want to know that before hiring them.

You are joining this sites that you know are public so you cannot expect much privacy. Once it is put on the internet, it's for everyone to see, no matter what your private settings are. If they want, people will always find a way to see what you are trying to hide. Social networking is great, but you have to be smart about it.

Much of the information placed on the internet is public. This is common knowledge and is accepted by those who chose to participate in social media. If you have information you do not want future employers, your college or your parents to know, you should perhaps consider not placing it in a public forum.

• This is just for my English Debate.

• What do you have to hide?

• It's Ethical because

• It's public

• You know it's public, be smart about it

• Well, yeah

I mean, in general it's one thing if you pose as someone else to infiltrate a group of people and then spy on their social networking pages (probably condemnable) but it's another if you just search them and find a public profile (not condemnable). If I was a college or an employer, I wouldn't want to hire someone with any less information than I could get.

• Yes Parents SHOULD be tracking closely what their kid's are doing in social media sites.

In today's world teens and pre-teens are going on to social media sites like FB and behaving terribly. Many use more swear words than normal words in sentences, they set up drug deals and drinking parties or talk about sex they had the weekend before. Many engage in cyber-bullying and ultimately it leads to depression, fear and sometimes even suicide. Social media for this age group is a BAD thing unless parents are monitoring it very closely on almost a daily basis. But who has time for that ???

• Wow duud wow

W w w w w w w w w w w w f f f f f f uu uu u u u u c c c c c c k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k kk f

• It is taking away a human right

Colleges checking applicant's profiles should be illegal. It is taking away from human rights, and their privacy. Everyone needs privacy. If one wanted others to know about their life and how how they live it/what they do, then will make it clear if it is okay for people to snoop around on their profile.

• I don't think it's ethical because

Social media is not a true representative of one's character, and certain kids only post to fit in, or use slang terms and abbreviations because some social media mandate a maximum amount of characters. This does not mean that the people posting are bad at grammar, or can't speak correctly, it's just the way they display themselves on social media.

• No, it's not ethical, because my life shouldn't determine my fate.

Nobody actually posts things to the internet with the ONE intention that colleges are going to see what they are doing. People post things as an outlet of their certain interests. But say those interests aren't the colleges preferred affairs. Does that automatically make him/her an ineligible candidate? It shouldn't. Just because someone enjoys doing something that isn't in the college's outlook doesn't mean they aren't qualified to pursue the career they've been wanting. Most times, it's not the actual career that busts a candidate online- it's the little posts and tweets that causes them to not follow their dreams.

• It is not ethical for a college to nose around in your private or even public life.

Facebook statuses have nothing to do with the character or personality of a person. They could have a really messed up life according to their Facebook and be the best worker you have ever seen. They could also have no problems in their life and be the laziest person ever.

• Private is private.

All citizens have the right to assume a level of privacy in the homes cars and yes on a site that allows you to set you account as private. The same as your bank account. You can give access to anyone you like but if someone take it upon their self to access it without your permission, their are breaking the law. So should it be with social data. Now if you use your account to write things like blogs or such, then the intent is to be open to the public response. If not, the info was meant only for those on your actual friend/family list and once you something in private, it's private. My friends come to my house because their my friends. My boss never came to my house before or after hiring. You know way? Because that my personal life and not the office.

• It's an invasion of the student

What a student does on social media is none of a college's business and it should affect whether or not a student is accepted. And it is just wrong. I don't want any college snooping around on my Twitter/Facebook, Myspace account just to find out what type character I have. They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

• It's no one's buisness.

Personal lives are called personal lives because they are personal. Thats why people have privacy settings. They don't want people to know about their personal lives because it's no one's buisness but theirs. Thats why people don't tell the whole world about their personal problems and/or things that may not even be problems.

• Public information is a private right.

For a long time we have been able to publicly put out information on what we're doing, who we're seeing, arguments, ideas, thoughts, and ideology. Anyone can search it, anyone can see it. The question comes down to whether or not colleges, employers, and family, should be able to see it. There are setting to post so that only 'certain people' can see those updates. Circles, friend settings, privacy.
    A college, parent, or employer may say "Let us see it," under potential legislation. Forcing people to conform to others ideas is the primary point of this. Nothing other than a concerted effort to enforce conformity to within certain guidelines both at work and off work both at school and away from school, both in front of your parents and away from them. It is an attempt to use a form of expression as control mechanism, and should not be allowed.

Posted by: a.m
  • I think that parents, employers, and colleges should not be permitted to invade a person's privacy.

I disagree with this statement, because social media is the fastest growing form of communication out there. Everyone is on Facebook, Twitter, or both. Parents, colleges, and employers should not be allowed to enter someone's personal site because, plain and simple, it is an invasion of privacy, and doing that pushes a lot of boundaries.

Posted by: BoundlessHomer49