Is it ethical for people to use animals for food?

Asked by: vladashtin
  • It's natural man!

It happens in nature all the time! Whether a bear kills a fish, or a cat kills a rodent. We need sufficient protein in our diet. The best way to get protein is from animals. I hate when I am enjoying some steak, and a vegan or vegetarian, who I am 90% sure works for fema says "DO YOU KNOW WHAT OU ARE EATING?!" "A steak." I reply. 'YOU ARE EATING A COW!" says the guy. "I know." I say in reply. "YOU ANIMAL KILLER!" says the guy and he walks off. That happened one time when I was eating with my parents at a restaurant. It is natural to eat animals!

• Equality in food.

We need food to Survive and equally with plants we need animal's so in difference it shouldnt matter what one we consume, or both. More of the problem would be as to how much we are eating perhap's cutting down on the amount consumed would help everyone. But if we were to completly stop eating Animal's and start only eating plant's like vegetarian's we would eventually run out or be killing the vary thing that give's us our oxygen.

• It's all nature.

I won't say that HOW we are killing animals and locking them up is ethical (even though I guess as a non-vegatarian I am contributing to the mess) but guess what, everything dies. It's called the circle of life. That cow that you so dearly love just killed all that grass and no one seems to care. That zebra that supposedly had his whole life planned out and would have loved to see his children have children was killed by a lion. Why, because living organisms die and are meant to die. Cows and all other life forms are meant to reproduce and die, that is what nature intended.

• Of course it is.

Asking whether eating meat is ethical or not is just stupid. It's like asking 'Is it ethical for a lion to eat meat' or 'Is it ethical for anteaters to eat ants'. Of course it is. We are the top of the food chain, therefore we eat what is below us. Just because we have learned to rationalise our actions, doesn't mean that something so natural and primal as being part of the food chain becomes unethical.

• IT MUST HAPPEN: (as in title) by FEARtheghus

We are a species that eats meat, therefore we should, i believe in evolution, led by god, and which ever way you believe it still made us like this, whether you take adam and eve literally or not, we are meant to eat meat. There is no matter created that we know of yet, there is therefore only transfer. So when we kill an animal and eat it, it is simply it's essence now ours, it is trade, trade and change of hands is change, change is survival, and survival is improvement. We must improve with them or die without them. Also if all animals ate plants, the plants would die out most likely and then the animals would die of starvation slowly. If you believe in god you can't be a true vegan without being satanic, since you would believe that he made this the way it is. Lastly, they do have feelings... Induced by instinctual pheromones, we are sentient and therefore should not be eaten, but they are meant to eat then be eaten, that's called the food chain, and only our high power of mind saves us from the many large predators (many are wild cats) that would so easily kill us. Cats actually are sentient or at least as close as it gets since they have complete free will, as many owners have seen both good, and not bad. They should not be killed, but eating is simple. If animals have souls and should not be eaten because they are alive, then so do plants with that same argument. You simply don't have any will to survive, and if you will do nothing to eat that which had ever lived, then sit there and die, for by the requirements to improve, evolve, and change for the better, THE WEAK DIE AND THOSE WHO SURVIVE THRIVE IN THE END. Resources change hands, just as many native Americans would thank their god(s) for the meal and life that there was. Absolutely last, is that we grow most of what we kill, we give them happy longer lives without slow deaths and in turn they give us their fruit of the endevour. They would not ever have lived if we did not farm them, and we would never have farmed them if we did not need them, so we have a cycle, they have their lives because of us, we have our meat because of them. Life is trade of resource and survival, we must win period, always and forever until we grow, that is the instinct that we need in order to ever live.

• It is natural

Eating animals is a part of the circle of life. Animals contain many nutrients that are required by humans to eat. Would a coyote think to itself,"I shouldn't eat that rabbit because it probably has feelings and wouldn't like being eaten." That's just not what happens. Just because they are living doesn't mean they have rights. I mean sure they shouldn't be treated cruelly that's obvious, but someone could just as easily say plants are living things so we shouldn't eat them either. Eating animals is not something that an entire species can just stop doing.

• But the way in which people obtain that food is outrageously unethical

I'm a vegetarian- always have been, always will be. However, I don't believe it's wrong to eat meat- I simply choose not to. Whether or not a person wants to eat meat is their choice; I would never go up to someone and say "How can you eat meat?! You're disgusting!", but by the same token I don't expect people to say to me "Why are you a vegetarian- that's stupid". The issue I have with eating meat is the animal cruelty involved- that is nothing short of barbaric. There's absolutely no need for the abhorrent treatment of cattle and poultry that goes on.

• Talkin' bout Meat

There is a reason that God put animals on this planet and that reason is to feed humans and other animals. Just Imagine what the world would be like without meat. No steak, bacon, chicken, fish sticks, ham, pork, salami, pastrami, lamb, and the fabulous bologna. No offense to vegetarians and vegans.

• They too are living beings

They too have life. Animal welfare supporters believe that it can be morally acceptable for human beings to use or exploit animals, as long as: the suffering of the animals is either eliminated or reduced to the minimum and there is no practicable way of achieving the same end without using animals. We can live without eating them. THen say, how do vegetarians live. They dont eat animals!!!!

• This is coming from a vegetarian,

I have been thinking about this topic for a long time. Even If one of the reason I gave up eating meat is the ethical question, I don't think people eating meat are committing anything unethical, it is simply a matter of choice. Eating meat is certainly not necessary, but I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat. However, I have a lot against animal cruelty, treating the animals the way they are treated, slaughtering them with such savagery.

• It's a crime!

Animals have right to life like people. They are living creatures and if you eat meat, think about what you eat: it's cadaver!
    Animals were created to live, not to be eaten by stupid and cruel people. We can exist without eating animals. They are our friends!
    Do you want to kill and eat your friend?

• Absolutely not, for several reasons

Viewer discretion is advised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhBWDzkqEPY. I wept. Watch the video. Do. It is haunting.

We pretend that animals do not feel pain. We ignore and are ignorant of what happens in factory farms. We don't want to know. Eating meat is too convenient for humans for us to bother. Slaughtering nonhuman animals causes massive amounts of suffering. It is torturous.
    In scientific studies, killing animals is only used when absolutely necessary, or if one is certain that the research could save lives. Eating meat funds imprisoning, torturing, and killing innocent animals. If you think the death penalty or criminal torture is controversial, imagine those practices for 7 billion innocent persons for every year. It doesn't matter whether meat tastes good, is cheaper, or even nutritious (btw, you can get all the same nutrician elsewhere). Using nonhuman animals for food is very unethical. Do watch that video, and do your own research into factory farms.

Posted by: kbub
  • The big double standard.

Animal killed and eaten by human, no one bats an eye. Human eaten and killed by predatory animal that actually NEEDS the meat, early hunting season, and members of that animal species is eaten and killed.
    Mass murder of animals called progress and food. Mass murder of humans called the Holocaust, not like the animals are treated any better that the Holocaust victims.

• They too are living beings

• Are you being serious?

All the Christians here back off here, God created this Earth so therefore he would want it to last but by eating meat you are destroying the environment as acres of trees are cut down for farms to mass breed meat. It may not be wrong to some people though.

• Do not kill animals

They have their own life they are very happy in their surroundings so why don't we live in our environment .There are lots of things provided by nature to us for eat. Respect for animals and do not kill them neither one day the animals should also start killing you for food

• To kill or not to kill

If a human and a lion were both put in a cage I'd like to see who was superior then. We as humans are arrogant and pretty much cruel to think we can put animals through pain and torture because we are 'superior'. Murder is wrong and illegal, yet it happens every day to animals. They feel pain like us, they have feelings like us - why is it any different to murder an animal?
    I'll end this by pointing out that just as I wouldn't like someone to say for example "you're a vegetarian, that's stupid" to me, I wouldn't have a go at someone else for eating meat. All this is purely my own opinion, but I think meat eaters should do their research on HOW what they eat actually gets on their plate. At least watch some videos on it, it might change your mind on the whole situation.

• Why animal food

Nimal rights supporters believe that it is morally wrong to use or exploit animals in any way and that human beings should not do so.

Animal welfare supporters believe that it can be morally acceptable for human beings to use or exploit animals, as long as: the suffering of the animals is either eliminated or reduced to the minimum and there is no practicable way of achieving the same end without using animals.

For people who think like this, the suffering to animals is at the heart of the issue, and reducing the suffering reduces the wrong that is done.

Supporters of animal rights don't think that doing wrong things humanely makes them any less wrong.

• We do not NEED meat.

As a vegetarian, I obviously have many reasons as to why it's unethical. For one, it's not necessary to eat meat. The fact that we put animals through suffering and take their lives for food we don't actually NEED is in my opinion unethical. A lot of people don't actually know of the torture animals are put through just so humans can have some meat on their plate - it's really cruel and selfish that we allow it to happen for our own enjoyment. A common argument I see from meat eaters on this topic is that humans are superior to animals - but why?! If a human and a lion were both put in a cage I'd like to see who was superior then. We as humans are arrogant and pretty much cruel to think we can put animals through pain and torture because we are 'superior'. Murder is wrong and illegal, yet it happens every day to animals. They feel pain like us, they have feelings like us - why is it any different to murder an animal?