Is it ever acceptable to burn the American Flag as a show of protest?

• It's a flag; not a person. Burn it if you need to.

The American flag has some kind of sacred place in a lot of people's heads - but the truth is, it's just a flag. It's mass produced in plastic, town up and printed on people's clothing and misused and reshaped daily in cheap and tacky tourist places. I believe that it has more of a place in political debate - even while being burned - than it does on someone's underwear. Until it stops being abused in such a way I think it is perfectly acceptable to burn a flag in a show of protest so long as the cause is actually meaningful to America and not merely for grabbing attention - it is an act that should be considered gravely before being done.

Posted by: DuaneAir
  • Yes, because it is our constitutional right to do so.

Although personally I rather abhor seeing a US flag being burned, it is our right as Americans to do so if we want to, as part of our freedom of expression. It is one of the most fundamental rights we have in this country, it is a big part of what makes the United States so unique. We can say what we want, read what we want, and desecrate an iconic American symbol if we want.

Posted by: PinkMych
  • Yes, it is acceptable to burn an American flag in protest because of freedom of expression.

Although I disagree with the idea behind burning an American flag, the Constitution gives the right to freedom of expression when no one else's rights are being violated. Therefore, I might not agree with what the person is saying by burning the flag, but I will defend their right to say it even though the flag represents the freedom allowing them to burn it in the first place.

Posted by: SascM0n
  • It is legal by the First Amendment, but the real question is WHY.

There is no question whether it is legal or not. It is. Freedom of expression. The real question should be either "Should it BE legal?" or "Why is one burning the flag?" To address the first question, it should be legal. The flag does not represent freedom and democracy anymore, otherwise I would be against burning the flag. Due to our recent election, and the dirty, corrupt, lying few presidents before, the flag now represents racism, lies, controlling our lives, corruption, violating our Constitution, and much more. I don't know about you, but I would definitely burn a symbol that represents such evil. And for all the people saying that "soldiers died for that flag", I call BS. Soldiers die for the people of this country and for what it supposedly stands for, not for a mass-produced, made in China, piece of cloth. Furthermore, just like kiranna11 said, even if the flag DID represent our soldiers, America is always getting involved in foreign wars we have no business in! Even worse, we do it killing innocent men, women, and children in the name of spreading freedom and democracy to "those in need". This is straight-up imperialism and sounds a lot like what Communist Russia did when they were creating the Soviet Union.

• Our First Amendment Rights are more important than a piece of cloth

To those who say they or their family members served in the military to protect the flag, I call BS. People serve in the military to protect the people of our nation. To protect THE RIGHTS our forefathers listed in the Bill of Rights. Including the right to free speech and free expression, and yes...The right to burn the flag as a sign of protest.

• Touch my flag and we have a problem. I don't care what you do with yours.

The unfortunate fact is that the constitution, backed up by supreme court, allows for this disgusting behavior. While I think it is the ultimate in irony that one would choose to burn a symbol of his right to do so, I ultimately support personal liberty and freedom of expression no matter how ridiculous. If during the burning of the flag you threaten, intimidate, or break some other law then you should be jailed accordingly - but not for the mere act of burning a flag in protest.

• Screw Trump and his racist followers

The flag represents hate, dishonesty, discrimination, war, and disunity. Therefore, we should burn it. The flag does not represent "soldiers fighting for our country". Even if it did, ever wonder why America is always going into other countries and killing innocent men, women, and children? Because we believe that it is the only way to protect ourselves from an angry crowd of people who hate us. But why do so many countries hate us? Because we are a selfish country that does not even care about half the people living here; and that includes legal citizens who are labeled the "minority". Look at what we have done. Children are taught history at school so we do not repeat our nation's shameful moments. Then we go against what America was supposed to stand for and elect a cheeto for president. Idiots. Meanwhile, every other country laughs at us because we contradict ourselves all the time. It is so hilarious!

• It's ones right to exercise freedom of speech, plus that flag also represents what is also wrong with the country

It's ones constitutional right of freedom of speech, and they have the right to burn the flag. Burning the flag is also a form of peaceful protest, as it is not targeting any specific group, race, culture or religion, but instead targets the country and what is currently wrong with whatever social, political or economical event occurring.

Posted by: camk
  • Freedom of expression

To me the flag means a symbol of America, when people are so dissapointed with there country that they feel the need to burn the flag then so be it. It's a flag, burning it means just taking a stand, to me burning the flag just means exercising your first amendment

• It really is just cloth

Due to the recent election I would gladly burn 10 flags to show my rage at racists. Would I burn the flag in public to show my hatred for Trump? No. For racists, you better believe it. My entire life I never understand the love for America or its conductor of hate and wars, the flag. And that's why today and since I was 6 years old, I would stomp, burn, and send it to Mexico to show my independence and stance against the evil and corruption in this world. Don't like it, that's why we have freedom speech my friend!

• Cant believe my dad lost his life defending <<< those people.

Flags are just pieces of cloth?! Tell that to my father who lost his life to defend that "piece of cloth." If you want to burn our national symbol of freedom, then maybe you don't deserve that right. So go to another country where you cant even express your own opinion at all. If the values are worth fighting for, the symbol and embodiment of those values deserve to be protected.

• There are many other ways to show your freedom of speech

There is no point in burning our nation's flag. The flag should not be used to get a point across. Freedom of speech means "speech" -- words to be used to express how you feel. I don't see anywhere that says you can burn the United States flag as a form of freedom and liberty. It minimizes the hardships our nation took to get to where we are today. How dare our own American people burn such a symbol! We wouldn't be happy if another nation burned the flag, so why are we doing it?

• Not being a civilized person.

The flag symbolizes a country. Burning a flag of a country is a disrespectful act. No matter how you disagree with a country's policy, the act of burning its flag already shows that you are not being rational. In my opinion, protesting is an act of people after rational thinking and it's an act of showing disagreement in a rational way.

• No, it is never acceptable to burn the American Flag as a show of protest as it is a traitorous and unpatriotic thing to do.

There are other ways to protest than to burn the American Flag. Burning it shows disrespect to the country, treachery, lack of patriotism and no sense of community. Such acts should never be committed and should not be tolerated either.

Posted by: danoneeno
  • It is never acceptable to burn an American flag as a show of protest, because of what the flag represents.

It is never acceptable to burn an American flag as a show of protest, because it represents the United States of America. Burning the flag is an attack on America. We have other legal means of registering protest. Anyone burning the flag is anti-American and should be treated as such. Americans burning the flag should be treated as terrorists.

Posted by: JamieM
  • It is never tolerable to burn the American flag.

It is never tolerable to burn the American flag. The American flag is a symbol of the United States of America. Burning the American flag is not respectful to all of the men and women who died so people in America can be free.

• Its Our Symbol of Freedom

If it weren't for what the flag represents none of us would be here or be able to even argue about this topic. Just because its in the constitution does not make it right. Think about it, if you were a soldier or veteran you would not be very happy if your fellow Americans were burning what you fought to protect just to get their point across in a protest.

Posted by: Zack
  • Its disrespectful and un-american like

I am in the service and i feel disrespected by the fact that any American citizen would dare think about burning the flag. I love the freedom we have and i will continue to fight for every American citizen alive and even those that have passed away. I feel like anyone who thinks its ok to burn the flag, should be punished if caught and should get the heck out of the united states, cause the flag is very symbolic to our freedom and i would never dare want to see it be burned.

• Not at all

Why would you burn something that represent freedom and freedom of speech. That is stupid. Our nation is a one of a kind. We can express our opinion without having to destroy something that men and woman of our nation died under. You speak of freedom of speech then burn it to the ground. That is a hiporcrit speaking. I feel sorry for the ones that died for this country and seeing what their fellow country men our doing to a flag they fought to protect. The only reason we live in a day that we live in is because they protected us.

• Leave our country!

The very freedom that one enjoys; the right to protest without being shot or imprisoned...Our veterans fought, our soldiers fight today for each and every American to have these rights among other privileges. Want to burn the symbol which represents this? Go live else where. Nobody is making anyone stay, respect those that have fought and died for freedom and for this country and LEAVE! Just go, the majority of Americans respect the flag and anyone who burns it is risking a beat-down anyway. Besides, what is one accomplishing from it anyway? Its stupid and pointless, you don't get nothing from it but disgust by others. Your not cool, your not making your point, you just look....Well, stupid. It's NEVER ok to burn the flag. Speak up for what you believe in but don't forget the ones who fought and died or who are currently risking their lives to give you that same freedom to do so.