Is it fair that women footballers who play in the WSL, earn on average £26,752 a year, whilst men in the Premier League earn £2.64m?

Asked by: BrendanW24
  • Mens football is more popular

Mens' football is much, much, much more popular than women's football. Therefore, the men's soccer industry is larger and makes more money. This in turn leads to each team in men's football making more. This finally leads to each man getting payed a lot more than each woman in football.

• Is very yes

Simply put, women's soccer is overshadowed by men's soccer to a very large degree. Men's soccer players get much more international recognition than women's soccer players, and it seems like only the US cares about it. It makes sense that women would be paid less- women in soccer aren't noticed by most people

• Men generate more.

If a man generates $5million and a woman generates $50k, it makes sense that the man will walk away with more money, as he generated more.

The fact of the matter is the majority of people would prefer to watch physical sports such a s football or hockey when men play, as it's more exciting - fast paced, hard hitting, etc. And this obviously means more money is generated toward the more viewed demographic.

• It is fair.

The disparity in the popularity of the two leagues is so great that the Premier League is considered a whole separate game from the women's. England football star Lucy Bronze said, “We’ll never get to the heights of men’s football. I think that’s so far in the distance." There just aren't enough people watching and enough sponsors to support the WSL. And the skill level of the players are on completely different levels. Of course, 27000 pounds is a bit small of a wage for a professional league player, but to compare it to the wages of players in the Premier League, one of the top football leagues in the world that attracts the best of the best in the world, is an insane thing to do.

• Women footballers deserve more pay!

Women footballers deserve more money. Although I believe there are reasons why men earn a significant amount more, I do believe the average wage for women is way too low. And I would feel harshly treated if I was a WSL footballer. Look how the girls performed at the WC!