Is it fair to have children when you cannot afford them?

Asked by: CitizenL
  • If you don't keep them

If you can't afford to care for a baby put the baby up for adoption.

From a legal standpoint I support the right to keep the baby, but morally I see choosing to keep a baby you can't afford to take care of as irresponsible. If you can't afford to take care of the kid give the kid to someone who can.

• Giving birth is a right that none can restrict.

Giving birth should be a freedom to every woman. Fair or not, women should be able to decide for themselves (+husband) if they do want a child. One can not criticize families for wanting a child even though they do not have the necessary means for keeping it alive. Giving the baby a chance to live is more responsible than preventing it from ever seeing light.

• It is a God given right

A question like that always brings about another question how much should a person make before they can have kids for me is very hard because I always thought that I can depend on grandparents to help take care of them when I was wrong I guess the government can't take care of them either they work in churches we will all be judged

• It is a God given right

One thing to ask is "how much should a person make before they can have kids?" This is a good opportunity for other family members churches and anyone else that could help to step up and show how badly they can be. And if and since there are failures than those who have failed will be judged and should be judged.

• It is a God given right

• Kids cost so much to raise and educate

How is it fair to have multiple children live off of welfare and see your children never get a decent education. Yes there are loans and such but if you have so many kids are you actually raising them right and teaching them to be healthy, smart, active members of society.

• If you can't take care of yourself you shouldn't be having children

Woman have the capability of having children but you don't have the right. If you can not support yourself without government help then you should not be allowed to have children. It's irresponsible and selfish behavior. Being a parent makes you responsible for your children. It is not my job or responsibility or anyone else's to support your children. I think it's about time that people in this country take responsibility for their actions. We should be teaching this in our schools instead of teaching them about free public handouts which is killing this nation for all those who work with higher and higher taxes.

• Having children can not be determine by your income.

Anyone should be able to take the decision to have kids or not , it doesn't matter their income but their level of commitment and responsibility to raise them. Poor people usually are not making the decision of having a family but start a family under circumstantial situation that leads to bad parenting and poor living conditions for the parents (usually the mother ) and the kids.

• It is wrong

Its not only irresponsible its cruel to the child how are you going support a child if you cant even support yourself. Before having a kid you should have a stable job, a stable education a stable partner and a stable life to raise a child that is that .

• Of Rights and Fairness

I believe that the right to give birth should not be restricted to anyone, but I also believe that raising a child you can't afford for would be unfair to the child. I would have to agree with MasturDbtor, "If you can't afford to care for a baby put the baby up for adoption." Anyone can have children, but not all are capable of keeping them. Those who find it necessary should prepare adoption plans beforehand.

• A picture is worth a thousand words.

There is an old saying " If you can't feed em, don't breed em". Many people who are working have put off having children until they can afford them. Many could afford to have a child if they weren't losing so much of their paychecks to support those who feel they should have as many children as they want, on someone else's dime. It is time to be responsible. What is the point of bringing a child into poverty which is a pretty miserable life. Another point, taxpayers cannot afford to keep supporting all of these people. Our health insurance costs a fortune because privately insured people are charged more than those on Medicaid. The hospitals have to make their money somewhere. It is time to get out of the wagon and help pull it. That means having as many children as you can afford and no more.

• NO. It is not FAIR. On a number of counts

My basic assumption is that we are talking about someone choosing to have a child, while knowing they cannot afford them. As opposed to having one accidentally and choosing not to abort.

I say NO primarily because it is unfair to the child. Remember before conception, there is no life, so no one is being deprived of life.

Bringing a child into the world knowing that the child will, in 90% of the cases, be deprived of proper security, nutrition, education and opportunity is WRONG. How can it be argued otherwise?

If someone wishes to have a child, why not take steps to obtain the resources to create a suitable environment. By doing things such as getting a proper education, a job, a partner, money in the bank and so forth. Instead of rushing out to fill personal needs for gratification and meaning.

Statistics overwhelmingly show that single mother families (I know, not the only examples) are more likely than not to have a child turn out poorly in terms of behavior, education and opportunity. These are the realities. Why buck them?

• It's your responsibility

When you give birth, you are responsible for the child, as it is a result of your own decision. The baby is not the governments responsibility. Therefore, you must be able to provide for the child financially as it belongs to you, and it needs financial support to succeed in life

• Stop Having Kids If You Can't Even take Care Of Yourself SERIOUSLY!!!

I believe that the United States government should decide if citizens should have children or not. My opinion is that having the government control who can give birth would be beneficial, it would make it so a child would not have to live in an unsafe environment due to the parents incompetence. This could also prevent a child being born with serious birth defects, this also prevents families with criminal records or with a low income that can’t even afford for themselves having a child who would live like that. If the government had a say in this there would be less homeless because most children grow up in a household that can provide for them. As said in J. Mijin Cha’s blog "People who are poor do not deserve to have children. I've seen these people with 1,2, 5 children. If you can't afford to feed them, don't have them." this is why there are more homeless in the past year, people should not have kids if they can’t provide for themselves so stop having them!

• Absolutely not, no way in h.E. Double hockey sticks

I can't believe there is ANYONE who says yes to this question. The pope just remarked the other day that people who do not have children are "selfish". Count that as the dumbest thing I have ever heard a human being say. Just when I was starting to like him.
    People who have kids on Medicaid make me sick. My fiancé and I will put in almost a decade of hard work on our careers and we probably STILL won't have enough money to have a child. I am SICK of hearing people having kids because "God" told them so. God probably did not plan ahead for overpopulation, overcrowding, global warming, massive corruption, etc, etc, etc there are a thousand more reasons why!
    I can understand a LOT of life choices- I could empathize with a drug user, I could try to understand a radical religion... I CANNOT relate to people who have kids on Medicaid and think this is the stupidest, most irresponsible thing an adult could do.

• No it is not.

I believe that it is not fair to have children when you can not support them. It is not fair to the child when they don't know why they don't have any food to eat. Also when they need something like medical reasons and they cant pay it can cause pain. A post by citizenL said,
    There is an old saying " If you can't feed em, don't breed em".

• No it's not fair at all. Its not fair because the child gets older will have to decide to get job or starve.

I agree with Juan_Pablo said " it is wrong to have children and not have the means to support them and allow them to grow". Which also creates stress for the child when older because they have school and if they have job and worrying about if there going to eat or not.

• My opinion on this particular topic is this, no one should keep their babies if they are not financially ready.

I see both sides however. Some time's things happen. When you get pregnant there is this unconditional love that you feel, and that makes it harder for the parents to put the baby up for adoption, but what they need to do is think about what's best for the baby and put themselves aside.

• Sometimes this situation is an accident.

I agree that if you knowingly had a baby that you financially could not afford then it would be extremely unfair for the child to enjoy and appreciate life because he didn't have such a great childhood. They may grow up and begin to do bad things and not be righteous. Don't bring a child in this world if you are not financially stable.