Is it foolish to be proud of your country of origin?

• Yes, it is petty:

Nationalism is as sensible as what color socks you choose to wear. There is no superiority and therefore nothing to be proud of or take stock in; to be proud of specific elements or the overall quality of life in an area is not blind nationalism nor is it pride in the nation itself but the people contained therein. The country that you do not run that does not benefit or falter from your existence is not a project you should be able to claim you're part of or proud of.

• No it is not

It's not foolish to be proud of your country of origin. Patriotism is something that most people should have as a Core value. Jingoism though is were things get complicated and things become different, but there's a song called "Proud to be an American," for a reason. Showing pride for your nation is patriotism.

• No it is not

• Well, Yes AND No!!!

First off, I don't think it's shameful to be proud of the country you live in. Being a United States citizen, I'm grateful for what freedoms we *still* have. At the same time, it's our government that makes US look bad. Our current political system is in complete disarray. We keep electing the same idiots to run our country, they keep making up bogus laws and none of the important issues are brought to the table. We need to remember, it's "WE, The People" not "They, The Government". You have the right to change the way things are going and speak out against something. I think most people don't realize that and they just keep their mouths sealed at any subject they find too offensive.

So, am I foolish to be proud of my birthplace? I would say Ye and No to that! If our political system was changed, I would like it more.

Posted by: S.K
  • Patriotism is Justified.

It's not foolish to be proud of your country of origin. Patriotism is something that most people should have as a Core value. Jingoism though is were things get complicated and things become different, but there's a song called "Proud to be an American," for a reason. Showing pride for your nation is patriotism. 'Murica!

• No, it is not foolish to be proud of your country of origin,

However, pride can only be 'flaunted' so much. Generally speaking, depending on which country the individual is in, showing too much pride for another country than the one you're in, is disrespectful. Now if the individual is supportive of both countries, and shows pride in both, I do not see where there would be a problem.