Is it hypocritical to do something and then criticize someone else for doing the same thing?

Asked by: SitaraPorDios
  • Of course it is.

That is the very definition of hypocrisy- to have a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality. How could anyone possibly vote no for this question, considering all you need is a dictionary?

And why is this tagged with "Barack Obama" and "Washington"? What do they have to do with the question?

• Look in a dictionary.

You have given the definition of what a hypocrite is. There are many dictionaries you could have used to find this out why didn't you heck it? Why don't you actually post what you actually want to say? Posting debates like this is not clever. You have said nothing about Obama but put it as a label. I assume you want to say its a hypocrite. Why don't you just say that????????

• It is hypocritical to criticize someone for doing the same thing you do,

Yes,it is hypocritical to criticize someone for doing the same thing that you have done.You really can not preach at someone for the same behavior that you exhibit.Like when you tell someone "Do what I say,not what I do".This is especially true for children who will of course bring this up time and time again.

• It depends on what you mean by "the same thing"

Two people's actions if analyzed in full are technically never "the same thing". Certain aspects would be ridiculous to argue makes a significant difference. For instance saying that adultery is OK because you wore red panties instead of blue ones like the person you're criticizing would be a very obvious copout to the point where I'd laugh expecting it to be a joke.
    But sometimes people say "you're a hypocrite" when there is some element of the case that makes it different in a significant way that the person is ignoring.