Is it illogical to be an Atheist and be a citizen of the United States?

Asked by: cbcullen84
  • Founded on Religious persecution!

The arch enemy of the atheist is the religious beliefs of devout believers of all faiths practicing their various religions in the united states. I am sure it is maddening for them to try and muster enough hate for all the religions. Atheist would be happier moving to communist china or better yet North Korea. The desolate unhappy demeanor of the country would foster well to atheist looking for unpracticed religion. I feel bad for individuals that denounce a higher power and walk through life only trying to become worm food. Sorry if your atheist but if you could just move to another country and leave its masses that do participate in religion alone or just simply go to church and give it a shot. What do you have to lose by attending a couple times a month.

• The fundamental principles of the United States are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

This is indisputable truth, the Bill of Rights are aligned with these same principle rights, as is the Constitution of the United States. These principle rights were defined by our forefathers as "Unalienable rights" - not transferable to another or capable of being repudiated: inalienable rights.

Our forefathers also identified and acknowledged the sole origin of these rights as "Man's Creator" www.Archives.Gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.Html‎

If a U.S. Citizen acknowledges his lawful unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as a citizen of the united states, then they consequently acknowledges "Man's Creator" as the origin of these rights and therefore acknowledges Man's Creator - Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness comes from nowhere but the Declaration of Independence in the United States, any reference is consequently originated from the same.

On the other hand, if a U. S. Citizen does not acknowledge Man's Creator then they consequently cannot acknowledge Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness as referencing these principles consequently acknowledges the Declaration of Independence, doing so consequently acknowledges the Declaration in it's entirety including the acknowledgement of Man's Creator.

Atheism - 1. The doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. Disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

If a citizen of the U.S. Believes that there is no God, then by logic...Any reference to their unalienable rights would be a direct contradiction of their belief . One cannot acknowledge something that they do not believe in without acknowledging that they believe in it, therefore invalidating their disbelief.

One might argue that the Declaration of independence is inaccurate in it's acknowledgement of a Creator however, the validity of the document is not in question as it currently solidified in U.S. Law.

I make no reference to what should be, only what is.

• It takes time.

Freedom of religion adds nothing that freedom of expression does not already cover. Sure, the founding fathers were wrong about something....It was hundreds of years ago! Give them a break and drop the Schwarmerei about our constitution. It has been amended; it has been improved. Which it will be again in time. Freedom of religion dignifies religious thought over every other notion. Freedom of religion is illogical and redundant, and will disappear over time. It'll take time but it is inevitable. People are too lazy to put up with useless practices.

• Atheist immigrant to be awarded citizenship following public outcry http://www.Rawstory.Com/rs/2013/06/20/atheist-immigrant-awarded-citizenship-following-public-outcry/

Wow, where do these silly questions come from?

I think they are created by the mindless!

What does atheism have to do with being a citizen of the United States?

Before you read this, please note that the requirement to “Swear to God” under oath has been deemed a violation of the U.S. Constitution and have been eliminated. You do not have to swear an oath to God, e.G., “so help me God,” in any legal proceeding, including joining the armed forces, police, FBI, or to becoming a citizen of the USA or swearing under oath in court.

“In God we Trust” was adopted as the official motto of the USA in 1956 to replace “E pluribus unus (which means “one out of many”) which was adopted in 1782 and written by Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin, all Deists. In “God we Trust” was first put on coins in 1864 and paper currency in 1957. The original Pledge of Allegiance (written by Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister, did not contain the words “one nation under God.” Bellamy’s verse said:

“I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

Because of many religious fanatics in Congress, religiously fanatical Presidents, and groups like “Knights of Columbus”, “In God We Trust,” “one nation under God” have been added. Our founding fathers are turning over in their graves. It is all BS, we need to fight all these sick mindless religious fanatics or they will destroy America.

The United States Oath of Allegiance (officially referred to as the "Oath of Allegiance," 8 C.F.R. Part 337 (2008)) is an oath that must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens.

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

“For people who are not religious, the words "on oath" can be replaced with "and solemnly affirm", and the words "so help me God" can be omitted.”

On average, atheists are much smarter than religious folks.

“Study Suggests Atheists Smarter Than Christians”

• Atheism and logic have no bearing on citizenship.

Some of the greatest minds our nation has to offer, either in history or present, are atheists. American science, philosophy, the arts, policy, and education, etc., all owe some debt of gratitude to the minds of atheists. Logic has nothing to do with citizenship to be an American citizen, and belief or lack thereof have nothing to do with citizenship.

• Its illogical to suggest that an Atheist isn't a citizen of the United States.

To found a nation based on religious freedom means that you respect religion, the practice thereof and yes, the right to not practice or believe in a belief system that is based on absolutely nothing but stories recorded in a book.

The OP makes mention of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Being that all men are created equal, they are so free to choose whether or not they wish to subscribe to a religion, deity or none at all. That is the essence of the pursuit of happiness - for some, their "god" makes them happy. For others, such as myself, the pursuit of truth and the right to be left free from those imposing their values on me is paramount to my happiness.

Freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion.

• Another poster said the foundations of this nation are based on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And I agree!

To THAT end, its logical that some of us pursue happiness without religion or some synthetic deity who wags an angry finger at us when we "sin."

I am an atheist and a proud (well not under Obama) citizen of this country. I don't think there is a religion or "god" figure that allows me these pursuits, but rather, they are pursuits guaranteed of all people as part of the human condition.

Its illogical to say atheists are less or are not citizens of the united states. Freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion.

• Not at all.

One of the wonderful things about being a citizen of the United States is that we are allowed the freedom of choice when it comes to religion. One can be an atheist and still be a citizen of this great nation. With that being said, an Atheist needs to realize that this country was founded on Christian values as our founding fathers were Christian.

• What is this, the 1950s?

The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects an individuals freedom to practice their religion, or lack of one, as they want to. Although Americans are mostly religious, that doesn't mean atheists shouldn't live here if they want to. The United States has no official religion. Therefore it is just as illogical to live in the United States and be Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim, or anything

• Religion is not required to be an American

There is absolutely no basis for the idea that you must be religious (or, at least, not an atheist,) to be American. As to whether it's illogical... Also no basis for that idea. America is the home of many different religions and people here have a pretty good amount of freedom to believe what they want.

• What an absurd question.

The United States is a secular democratic republic, and guarantees in its Constitution the right to freedom of religious belief- which includes the freedom to have no religious belief at all.
    Of course, let's not forget that the vast majority of United States citizens are natural citizens- ie people who were BORN HERE. Religious affiliation is completely irrelevant to citizenship.

Honestly, the sophistry attempted by the OP in claiming the Declaration of Independence's single use of the word "Creator" means it is illogical for anyone of this nation to not believe in any creator is beyond belief.

• Why would it be?

Why would it be. The United States is found on the basis of religious freedom is it not? Then why is it illogical to be both an atheist and a United States citizen. I'm an atheist and I'm a United States citizen. I also plan on being an officer in the Navy after I go to the Naval Academy. Let me guess, that's illogical to when I'm an atheist.

USvet says2013-12-12T07:15:40.523
One has nothing to do with the other. Fundamental rights do not have to come from God...They can come from mans recognition of life and how we should treat each other. My father was a soldier who served his country proudly in many wars yet was an atheist. His humanity didn't come from a fear of hell but rather from his belief that we each have an obligation to live our lives in a worth while manner. And that although there is no God there is balance of the universe.
cbcullen84 says2013-12-12T07:40:09.683
There is no argument that Fundamental rights have to come from God, the principle of my argument is that our law says that they do. I'll clarify that my statements made before are not my opinion and the argument I pose is not what I think should or shouldn't be...It is simply what is.
cbcullen84 says2013-12-12T07:42:26.043
There is logic in your statement USvet - "Fundamental rights do not have to come from God...They can come from mans recognition of life and how we should treat each other". Your theory of what can be is interesting, but this opinion thread questions what is, not what could be.
cbcullen84 says2013-12-12T08:11:40.340
Since you have brought your Father's actions into this then I can only presume that the reference is to serve as a supporting argument (Example). I would pose the following hypothetical example in retort: If a Man loves the Bible but doesn't believe in God, he acknowledges God. If he refutes this acknowledgement then it can be deducted that this Man is either ignorant of what he loves or believes.

Your Father's "True faith and allegiance" to the Constitution of the United States is logically indicative of his belief in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, again these principle rights (Regardless of the endless possibilities) are in fact endowed to all Men by their Creator. So if your Father is/was an atheist then I acknowledge the idea that one can be an Atheist and still fight for the founding principles of our Country, but the question of Atheism being illogical as a citizen of the U.S. Has nothing to do with this.

Additionally, I have fought through and across the eastern deserts, met my enemy face to face and struck him down as opposed to forfeiture of my own life. I have seen the unimaginable acts against humanity first hand and have used violence of action to stop it where words could not. I know what it takes to be a Soldier and what it means to be a servant of the People of the United States, I have been and am still willing to lay it all down should the need arise and I can tell you with all that having been said...Even a decade of service to this country doesn't justify my personal beliefs, opinions or resolve. What I think is not in question.