Is it immoral to emigrate while you parents are still in the country?

Asked by: Diqiucun_Cunmin
  • Our filial duty demands that we stay.

Sorry for the typo in the title. 'While his parents are alive, the son may not go abroad to a distance." (Analects 4.19) We must never forget this! Nowadays, many people think it's OK to live abroad as long as they transfer 5000 dollars back home every month. That's simply not true! 'The filial piety nowadays means the support of one's parents. But dogs and horses likewise are able to do something in the way of support; - without reverence, what is there to distinguish the one support given from the other?' (Analects 2.7) We should visit our parents regularly to satisfy their psychological needs as well. If you're living overseas, how can you visit them every weekend? Also, if we live abroad, it's hard to take care of them when they need us. If they contract an illness, for example, how can you get to them at once? My grandmother asks my father over to fix things every now and then - how can one do this when he is living abroad?

• No, it isn't

Op questions the morality of travelling abroad. The filial duty demands that children would help support the parents.
    Now, if in going abroad, the children are able to support their parents financially and ensure parents are in safe hands, it is perfectly moral.

Op does not consider the possibility of having people to look after parents in which case it still would fulfill the obligations of the children. Visiting can still be done on a frequent basis (monthly?) depending on the financial status and the geographical distance which was not considered by prop.

With the advent of the internet, video conferencing ensures parents are still able to see children on regular basis whilst the children live out their lives making advantage of the opportunities.

Seeing as it satisfies both financial and monetary support of the parents, it is morally acceptable to emigrate.

• It's your life, you live it once, do what you will

Also it doesn't specify what if your parents are a'holes. Mine are not. But some people's are. And even though my parents are OK I still have every right to move to another country if I want to. And then they could visit me every now and again. Besides that even people with OK parents sometimes need to put some distance between themselves and their parents for what ever reason i.e. finding yourself, etc...