Is it important for children in grades k-12 to learn a foreign language?

Asked by: Connie27
  • More Opportunities and Intelligence

I think it is important but I think students should start learning a foreign language when they start 4th or 5th grade. Foreign languages enable students to understand more about other cultures and make friends from various ethnic groups. Also, people have a higher chance of getting a job due to their grasp of a foreign language. In some business professions, people have to go abroad and it's best that they know the foreign language of that country. Also, it has been reported that kids who are bilingual tend to be smarter. In addition to that, foreign languages enable us people to understand a lot of people and appreciate other cultures.

• Yes, but maybe once they start Middle school

I think that learning a foreign language is a really important thing. Even if you don't travel to other countries, you have people traveling here that speak different languages, some of them don't even know English. If you want to be able to have a real life conversation with them, you should learn another language. Another reason why speaking another language is important is because if you are applying for a job, most of the time they would like it if you spoke more than just English just in case you get different language speaking customers.

• Yes, social and beneficial skills

Whilst applying for a job (I'm aware they are only in k-2 but its a start), having an extra language is more than very helpful. These kids should feel happy and be able to socialize with people who may not speak their language easily whether its 1 word or 1 whole language.

• Foreign languages are a crucial part of education

1) Learning a foreign language helps develop all aspects of education. There are studies which suggest learning another language does a lot to boost brain development (http://www.Sciencedaily.Com/releases/2012/10/121008082953.Htm), and neglecting this when it is increasingly easy to implement puts children at a disadvantage, especially at a time when there is a global acceptance of the necessity of multilingualism.
    2) It is necessary to function in today's world. We are becoming an increasingly global and interconnected community, and not being able to speak another language could hinder children as they grow into adults and enter a highly competitive job market. This does not have to impede on time used to teach other subjects - in Richmond West Primary School, Australia, the entire curriculum is taught in both English and Chinese, allowing students to develop a proficiency in both languages without decreasing time spent on "core" subjects.
    3) It encourages understanding. Hand in hand with learning a new language is the learning about a new culture, and a different way of life. Being able to understand different people at such a fundamental level massively eases global communication. Today, when problems are no longer kept within borders, but affect the world as a whole (an example being global warming), efficient international communication is more important than ever, and learning another language is the first step to encouraging this.

Posted by: TCE
  • The world is no longer restricted by borders

It is apparent as more businesses focus on making strides in the world marketplace, communicating with a diverse foreign clientele will become more vital. Our children are already ranked 26th in high school education which does nothing but make competing in this new environment, difficult and when you consider that most countries require their children to learn three or more languages , this further increases the challenges our children must overcome. We cannot sustain world leadership by having children who cannot compete in the world market...

• Foreign languages brings more opportunities

With the population of minorities increasing in the U.S, learning a foreign language would be very useful. Spanish is a helpful language because over 37 million people speak Spanish regularly in the U.S. Mandarin Chinese is a faster growing language in the U.S than Spanish (290% increase compared to 210%).

On a sidebar, Asia is known to have the highest populated countries in the world, correlating to more Asians coming here than any other ethnicity. Asiatic languages should be offered more in school.

If you're going to work in a bustling city, then a foreign language is somewhat necessary since most major U.S cities are fairly multicultural.

• It opens doors

I believe it is important for a children to learn another language besides the one they grew up with.
    The world does not just revolve around our said country and we should recognize that.
    Learning another language opens our eyes to another culture and gives us plenty of opportunities in life.
    If a child learns at a young age, they will be advanced in whatever career they choose, whether it be a doctor, a lawyer, a mechanic, a driver.

• Beneficial? I'm sure. Important?...

The Headline says it all. Learning a foreign language is beneficial for a child, not important. They do not need to have learned a foreign language to get a job. Is it helpful? Yes. However, will they need to use that foreign language for that job? Possibly no. Will they ever need to use the foreign language at all? Possibly no. How, then, is it important? It is simply beneficial. Not to mention, professionals hire translators for certain jobs. If that's the case, those people did not need to learn the language. Instead, they are successful paying someone to have learned the language. Would it be beneficial if the professional knew the language? Yes. Important? No.

• I have higher ambitions than translating stuff for immigrants.

It is time people stop forcing everyone to learn Spanish. If the Mexicans want to invade USA, they should learn English. George Washington would be very disappointed if he were alive today.

If they offered languages spoken by 1st world countries, like Swedish, German, Japanese, etc., I would take them. Those are beautiful countries that do not have any of the poverty issues that Spanish-speaking countries do. However, most schools only offer Spanish and French.

Or better yet, stick with English. Learning another language uses brain cells, takes away other valuable subjects (i.E., math, science, arts, etc.) and is really unnecessary. Most people keep to their own kind. I don't care iif a language has 700 million speakers, because it's not like I will get to talk to them all.

Humans are pack animals. Our brains are hardwired for sticking to one's own tribe, and not joining other tribes.

• That Is Just Plain Ridiculous!

This makes no sense what so ever. Why would we throw away time to learn about mathematics, science, history, and English to learn about a foreign language that we may never use. It would be very important to some children, yet not all. K-12! That's just silly. If it takes someone 13 years to learn a language there is something wrong with their teacher.

• For what purposes to require young students to learn other languages? In my personal opinion, learning a language of someone else isn't that important.

I speak a few languages and a few dialects, but there are no advantages except I'm able to communicate with people who don't comprehend my language. Frankly, learning a few languages/dialects are the same time was not my choice. My parents spoke different languages/dialects.

In English language, I begun learning it in 2010.

• What is the point

For a start many kids have enough trouble learning their own language.

There are so many other important things to teach in school like English, maths, science, geography, history, physics, health, religious education, physical education, swimming, arts, music, drama, technology. Who has time for languages.

Besides the languages taught in school,will get you no where. You could learn a lot more spending 3 months in a country than you could in 13 years of school.

themohawkninja says2013-11-25T21:11:39.617
It depends where you live. If your native language is English, then there isn't much point, but if your native language isn't English, then you should learn English, as that is becoming (if you don't want to say it already is) the global language.