Is it mainly the fault of a government when women and young girls get sold into abusive marriages and/or prostitution?

Asked by: weegie
  • It is a difficult topic I think

Which is why I wrote it up as a question in the first place. Obviously society and tradition play an important role in certain countries. There are countries where the dowry practice is still happening, like in India ( though I think it is has been illegalized) and countries in Africa where some people believe sex with a virgin will get rid of HIV/AIDS. Then there are the criminals who earn money by selling and shipping women and girls around like they're cattle. I'm just wondering where are the governments in all of this? Is it just me who feel like the majority of the help these women sometimes get come from foreign organizations? Looking forward to reading your opinions and insight on this topic.