Is it moral to have jobs that pay "under the table"?

• "The underground economy is the real economy" Ron Paul

The ninth amendment makes it very clear that you have the unenumerated right to work under the table under the Constitution. Taxes are extortion and you are preventing yourself from having your money extorted. Hopefully you can do this without needing the Oathkeepers and that you can make a decent or good living.

• Extra Income Source

Too many Americans are out of work, including myself. Therefore, we do what we got to do to bring some extra income until we find permanent employment. A lot of Americans are working under the table. It's a matter of economic survival since our government/politicians are not doing enough fixing the economy and getting the underemployed/unemployed back to work. I rather work under the table anytime than selling drugs or getting involve in other illegal activities to earn a living.

• Far more morale than the financial oppression the government and Big Business has imposed on the 99%.

We have reached a point in American history where a few things are completely apparent. Big business and the government are in bed with each other. Big business gets all kinds of tax breaks while the hard working middle class gets taxed hard. This is twice as potent because high taxes on the middle class are much more painful than high taxes on the 1% (even though their taxes are NOT high comparatively speaking). It significantly affects a middle class person's lifestyle. The US as well as big business together have declared a financially oppressive war against the middle class (Ex. Pensions gone, taxes increased, cost of living increase, inflation, etc etc...) Couple this with Uncle Sam's out of control spending it leaves the sensible American worker to conclude "Of course its moral to work off the books. Its immoral at this point to tell me I can't"

• It is moral to have jobs that pay under the table, when the federal government takes so much of one's pay check that they cannot support their family.

The average person with a low paying job cannot afford to support a family on his/her pay check, after the U.S. federal government takes its share. By the time that Social Security, Medicare, state taxes and federal taxes are deducted, there really is not much left. The argument posed by the federal government is that these taxpayers do not lose anything, as they will eventually receive tax refunds. However, waiting a year for a tax refund does little for the individuals and families that need the resources to cover everyday present expenses, such as food, medical and housing. Fifteen to twenty percent of a pay check going to the federal government severely reduces the amount available to cover just the basics, in many families. Therefore, I do not object to individuals seeking additional employment, part-time employment, or even seasonal employment that pays under the table to meet their expenses. Some would argue that businesses are cheating the federal government out of money by paying under the table. However, anyone who has started a small business knows that the state and federal regulations alone are often prohibitive to the hiring of employees. It is a two-way street that the government chooses to ignore.

Posted by: CarIoBIacken
  • If you do not believe in paying taxes then it is moral to be paid under the table.

This is a large question of the ethics behind taxation and the right of people to resist things against which they are opposed. If you do not like the way that taxes which you pay are being used by the government then you have every right to protest that by taking a job that pays under the table. However, if you are simply taking a job that pays under the table to avoid your responsibility as a public citizen to be a part of the machine that funds public life and government then you are simply a hypocrite because you want something for nothing.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Yes, it's okay, as long as the income is under $10,000/year.

If we are allowed to receive monetary gifts up to $10,000 per year, tax free, I don't see anything wrong with working under the table for an income of no more than $10,000 per year. However, if people are making big bucks doing illegal stuff under the table, then it's a different story.

Posted by: FeIBuddy
  • Honestly, I don't see a problem with jobs that pay under the table.

Yes, we're supposed to pay taxes. We're supposed to pay them so our government can go billions of dollars in debt and spend our money on things that don't matter. If I had the opportunity to be paid under the table I'd take it in a heart beat.

Posted by: LorenaH
  • Absolutely! People should choose what job they want to accept.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with paying someone under the table. Minimum wage laws have really gotten out of hand, and some employers simply cannot afford to pay people minimum wage. If I want to work at a job, but it doesn't pay enough, I can simply decline that job. I don't need the government telling me what I can and can't get paid. Minimum wage laws are alright in certain circumstances, but they have really gotten out of hand recently. I have no objection to under the table salaries.

Posted by: jaayfarley
  • These jobs don't hurt the economy they are the economy!

Let me guess you never shovled snow, cut grass, or racked leaves for your next door neibergh either. They are what we go to when theres nothing now. So yes I think there good the government been stealing from us long enough.

• The current taxes are ridiculous, especially considering where the bulk of it is going.

It is moral. I can fully understand why a person would not want to pay their taxes, considering that most of it is going to a hopeless war that no one wanted. A lot of people's taxes go elsewhere and they never see that money again. Some people are considered way too rich for any kind of assistance from the government, and have to pay for their children's college education out of their pockets. Very few people have that kind of money, but the government doesn't care. They would rather spend some more on a pointless war.

Posted by: 4uncLife
  • It is dishonest.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
    Not a single person on the planet is above the laws of the land.
    It is right to be honest and report your income.
    It is wrong to be dishonest and accept payment under the table.
    Extenuating circumstances, in which people argue that they are in need, do not change the act from being dishonest.
    If it is dishonest, then it is immoral.

• fuck taxes!

I'm as supporting as they come when it comes to giving to my community and country but I'm not about to pay 15 ridiculous taxes just so some money grubbing little parasite can get his hands on it! The government is nothing but a bunch of pencil pushing Moran's who can't balance their own check book let alone handle my money in a moral and upstanding manner.

• I do not believe that it is moral or ethical to have jobs that pay under the table, since not paying the appropriate taxes on those jobs ultimately opts a person out of their civic duty to support their local, state and federal government.

The very term, "under the table", suggests shady dealings, and I think that that is a clear indication that most people recognize that work that goes unreported is immoral. Not reporting work allows a person to shirk their civic duty to pay taxes, social security, and other fees that help to keep the country running.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I believe that it is not only immoral to have jobs that pay under the table, but it is also illegal.

Having jobs that pay under the table allows both the employer and employee to avoid paying taxes. Under the table employment also allows for the circumvention of unemployment insurance, workman's compensation insurance, and payments in to the Social Security system, which will ultimately cost the people that are paying taxes. Paying under the table also allows for sub-standard wages and the hiring of illegal immigrants.

Posted by: OddFrancesco97
  • No, it is immoral to pay people "under the table", if this payout is not being reported.

While it is not immoral to pay people in cash, it is immoral to pay people under the table and not follow tax laws. It is immoral, and can be illegal, to hide money or income. The same goes for not paying taxes. Not following the law, in general, is a crime. Knowingly committing a crime, in most cases, is immoral. Everyone should try their best to be a law-abiding citizen. This is the morally right position to take. If a law seems unjust, there are legal ways to address this. But, no one is exempt from following the law, even as it pertains to income, taxes, and the reporting of both. To show disregard for the law, while others are fully subject to it, is immoral.

Posted by: gnorknik
  • Having a job that pays under the table is wrong, because people who have those jobs are receiving the benefits of taxes, without paying them.

In some instances, people may find themselves in a situation where they are able to make money with an "under the table" job. For some people, that may be just a few dollars, here and there, while others may get full-time income from their "under the table" job. Nevertheless, people with these jobs do not pay taxes, yet, they send their children to school, have access to emergency services, and more that are paid using other peoples tax money.

Posted by: AccurateDalton53
  • It is immoral to have hobs that pay "under the table", due to our income tax laws.

It is immoral to have hobs that pay "under the table" because the law requires that you pay about 7% of your income into Social Security and Medicare, and your employee match that contribution. By not paying into Social Security and Medicare, you are sabotaging the programs, and that is harmful to yourself and to others. Getting paid under the table also affects your tax liability and could potentially reduce your earned income credit.

Posted by: jackprague94
  • It is not moral to have jobs that pay "under the table"; everyone should pay taxes.

"Under the table" jobs are simply ones that don't pay taxes. Every citizen has the moral duty to pay their fair share of taxes. If you don't like the tax laws, you have to work within the system to change them or move to a different country. Some people view avoiding taxes as their way of rebelling against the government, but this doesn't make it moral.

Posted by: R3ciP3Saye
  • It is immoral because such workers and employers are stealing from every other taxpayer.

Jobs that pay "under the table" are immoral for everyone involved. The only reasons to have these jobs is to avoid paying taxes or other obligations. By dodging these debts, both the employer and employee are making someone else pay for the services that taxes cover, rather than paying their fair share. As such, these people steal from everyone else and should be treated as common thieves.

Posted by: P4cBran
  • No, I do not agree that it is moral to have a job "under the table".

It is not moral to have a job "under the table." The reason that people have under the table jobs is to avoid paying taxes, or because they are working illegally. People work and pay taxes, and those taxes allow people to have access to many things, like school for their children, and social support programs. People who are avoiding paying taxes are not contributing to these programs.

Posted by: Lopez111