Is it more appropriate to send addicts to jail, or into rehab treatment?

• Jail really helps

Jail provides time away from drugs and also already has rehab. So you are able to serve time and get help at the same time. Also, since you're in jail, you are able to spend time away from drugs. There are some prisons that have drugs but most of them do not.

• Jails have rehab

A lot of drug addicts use rehab as an excuse not to go to jail. And find ways to continue using while attending rehab. I know a lot of people who have done this. Therefore we need to be harsh, make them do rehab from the jail cell and maybe just maybe they will learn. Because right now rehab is a excuse for 98% of people

• Breaking the law.

If you take illegal drugs you have broken the law and should go to prison. If you are addicted to murdering are you sent to rehab also? Crack down on serial drug takers, they effect many people's lives and there must be harsher punishment for the use of illegal drugs.

• Jail really helps

• It is appropriate.

Its appropriate because I got admit there are some hard-headed people that will keep on doing the same thing knowing the consequence but I hear jail is a very crucial place and is not a place you would wanna be in so if people really don't want them to put their selves in misery for a piece of crack they would stop and know and to saves themselves from going haywire.

• From a cost and re-offense perspective, it is more appropriate to send addicts to rehabilitation, rather than jail.

Incarcerating an inmate burdens the taxpayer and offers no treatment for the addiction. By sending an addict to rehabilitation, rather than jail, the addict is most often able to pay for the rehab themselves, while undertaking a therapeutic solution to their addiction. With jails across the country currently overcrowded, rehab offers and ideal solution to treat the addict at a minimal expense to the public.

Posted by: DoubtfulPaul84
  • Give someone a second chance: Support prison rehab

Everyone deserves a second chance. If a person wants to change for the best of society, allow them to prove themselves to you. Think about those who went to jail for a crime they are innocent of. Think about the families of those in prison. And think about how prison rehabilitation can solve all of our problems dealing with overcrowded prisons.

• A big yes

Say yes to jail because it can help the drug addict to learn more lessons of what they did and also to be aware to the drug addict that they should not use again drugs because drugs can cause many dangerous things to them, drugs may cause of their tragic death and others.

• It's harsh but effective.

Addicts need to be , be punished for their crime, and be in a controlled environment, free from drugs. That's why jail is the perfect place for them. There should be no rehab options other than the incarceration itself, as this is jail, not a clinic. They should be able to learn or not from and learn from the life long addicts that they meet there and decide whether or not to continue down that road. If they aren't going to make it after this, they will definitely not make it in rehab either.

• Yes yes yes

Yes yesyg7 h8h g7 7hbybybyb h b h b hb h b h b h bh b h b h b h bh b h b h b h bh b h h b h b hb h b h b h b h b h b h b h

• Kicking people while they are down.

Many drug addicts have tried to reach out for help and have been turned away due to financial reasons mostly. Addicts are already suffering. Most people do drugs to ease emotional pain. I know I did. I had a police officer wait for me to leave the courthouse for a DUI drug charge. He was hiding and pulled me over, based on a conversation myself and my lawyer had off the record. He also said I was "crying too much" in court. He told me to get out of the car and I said, "Why are you kicking me while I am down?" He arrested me for drug DUI number 2, and searched my car and found pills. Now I am facing felony charges. I tried to commit suicide, landed in rehab (someone finally paid attention), and thank God I'm sober and free of pain pills. But I have lost my job, home, and pets. I am a kind and loving person who gives to others. I think it's cruel to punish people that have already suffered so much.

• From an addicts perspective:

From my experience there are too many reasons why a NONVIOLENT addict needs rehabilitation instead of jail. If an addict doesn't know there is a possibility of living a drug-free life they will never stop. Not to mention the death rate of sending an addict to jail is going up, with no one to help them get sober in prison they will get out and relapse thinking there tolerance is the same before incarceration and they take a hit and overdose. Addicts need to know there is a much better way to live, not punishing them for a treatable but often relapsing disease.

• Rehab

This isn't really a yes-no question, but taking the question as "Is it more appropriate to send addicts to jail," then, I say no, it is more appropriate to send them to rehab. Jail does not give them anything beneficial, and it costs society a great deal to keep them incarcerated. Rehab costs less, and when the person is released, they will be less likely to use drugs again because they got treatment.

• Rehab, Not Jail

No, it is not more appropriate to send addicts to jail than into rehab treatment. Addicts deserve a second chance at a normal life so they should be sent to rehab instead of jail, as long they committed no crimes in obtaining their drugs. Addicts are not much different from alcoholics and deserve the same right to treatment. The failure rate is high for both addicts and alcoholics, but at least society can say they were given a chance to reform and do something positive with their lives.

• Addicts should be in rehab programs and not jail.

Drug addicts need rehab programs and not to be put in jail just for using drugs. Prison should only be for people that commit crimes. If the addicts breaks the law to support their habit, such as stealing, then they should go to prison. But just being addicted should not be grounds for prison.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • Drug use is someone's personal business.

If someone is using drugs, its not the business of the government to throw them in jail for simply possessing and/or using the substance. Especially because that use often involves having an addiction which is an illness. I would say any crimes committed that affect other people (robbery, DUI, etc.) should lead to jail time, but not simply using a drug and committing no other crimes. Once someone has a criminal record it becomes exponentially harder to get a job, so how are they supposed to take care of themselves once they are rehabbed? Its time to change our laws.

• Rehab helps drug addicts, Prison does not

If someone is addicted to drugs, it causes them to do things that they normally would not do. Being addicted to drugs is a mental illness. Whatever drug he or she is on, takes over their brain. They are no longer thinking rationally. They are focused on getting high. It does not matter what he or she has to do just to get high.

• Addiction is a brain disease and it matters.

Scientific advances have shown that drug addiction is a chronic, relapsing disease that results from prolonged effects of drugs on the brain. The best answer is treatment, UNLESS the addiction has embedded behavioral aspects that have caused them to commit a crime. Then, they should have jail time ALONG with treatment. It's different that murdering someone, I don't understand why someone would compare the two. As someone already stated, jail time helps for a little while until one relapsing addict goes back to the drugs. It's also been proven that many drug addicts return to prison after getting out, for the same reason. Drug abuse.

• Would you arrest someone for having depression?

Drug addicts are a lot like eating disorders, and even depression. If someone attempts suicide and fails, do you arrest them? No. They end up getting sent for help- if they survive. If an anorexic skips a meal, do they get arrested? No, they are encouraged to eat. Yes, many drug addicts have attempted to seek help before, and have failed. But the same goes for any other psychiatric illness. Do I think recreational users should get arrested for possession of drugs? Yes. Do I think drug addicts should be convicted of a crime they can't exactly help? No. Anybody who understands psychiatric illness would agree. Those who are ignorant to mental disorders may not agree. Drug addiction is much more complex than just getting high. Just getting high is people who are just getting high for fun. Drug addiction stems a lot deeper.

• No Jail Time

There is always that one person in jail trying to smuggle in drugs for bail money. Putting them in a rehabilitation center would eliminate all of those possibilities. And when they're in rehab they will always have an eye on them. They could also get their life back on track faster if they went to rehab either if they went to jail. Jail is a waste of time for these cases.