Is it more appropriate to send addicts to jail, or into rehab treatment?

• Jail really helps

Jail provides time away from drugs and also already has rehab. So you are able to serve time and get help at the same time. Also, since you're in jail, you are able to spend time away from drugs. There are some prisons that have drugs but most of them do not.

• Jails have rehab

A lot of drug addicts use rehab as an excuse not to go to jail. And find ways to continue using while attending rehab. I know a lot of people who have done this. Therefore we need to be harsh, make them do rehab from the jail cell and maybe just maybe they will learn. Because right now rehab is a excuse for 98% of people

• Breaking the law.

If you take illegal drugs you have broken the law and should go to prison. If you are addicted to murdering are you sent to rehab also? Crack down on serial drug takers, they effect many people's lives and there must be harsher punishment for the use of illegal drugs.

• Give someone a second chance: Support prison rehab

Everyone deserves a second chance. If a person wants to change for the best of society, allow them to prove themselves to you. Think about those who went to jail for a crime they are innocent of. Think about the families of those in prison. And think about how prison rehabilitation can solve all of our problems dealing with overcrowded prisons.

• Jail really helps

• It is appropriate.

Its appropriate because I got admit there are some hard-headed people that will keep on doing the same thing knowing the consequence but I hear jail is a very crucial place and is not a place you would wanna be in so if people really don't want them to put their selves in misery for a piece of crack they would stop and know and to saves themselves from going haywire.

• From a cost and re-offense perspective, it is more appropriate to send addicts to rehabilitation, rather than jail.

Incarcerating an inmate burdens the taxpayer and offers no treatment for the addiction. By sending an addict to rehabilitation, rather than jail, the addict is most often able to pay for the rehab themselves, while undertaking a therapeutic solution to their addiction. With jails across the country currently overcrowded, rehab offers and ideal solution to treat the addict at a minimal expense to the public.

Posted by: DoubtfulPaul84
  • It is their own fault

What is the point of giving them help if they will carry on doing it. The chances of them stopping are higher if they go to jail. It will give them time to think about it since it is illegal. It is their own fault they started so they should legally face their punishment of jail

• They got themseves into it so they can get punished for it.

They got themselves into it in the first place so they should be punished for getting themseves into it no matter what the circumstances. They don't have to have it they caused it on themselves so they can turn their lives around on their own the same for alcoholics. Why sould we help them anyway.

• Jail or death with teach addicts

Instead of draining family funds, parents need to step up and quit being friends to their kids. It's time that kid got a dose of reality, don't protect them. You let that person destroy a family if you let them stay. It's hard, but they made every single choice for themselves. When they chose drugs, they chose jail. Don't let them think there's a way out.

• Kicking people while they are down.

Many drug addicts have tried to reach out for help and have been turned away due to financial reasons mostly. Addicts are already suffering. Most people do drugs to ease emotional pain. I know I did. I had a police officer wait for me to leave the courthouse for a DUI drug charge. He was hiding and pulled me over, based on a conversation myself and my lawyer had off the record. He also said I was "crying too much" in court. He told me to get out of the car and I said, "Why are you kicking me while I am down?" He arrested me for drug DUI number 2, and searched my car and found pills. Now I am facing felony charges. I tried to commit suicide, landed in rehab (someone finally paid attention), and thank God I'm sober and free of pain pills. But I have lost my job, home, and pets. I am a kind and loving person who gives to others. I think it's cruel to punish people that have already suffered so much.

• From an addicts perspective:

From my experience there are too many reasons why a NONVIOLENT addict needs rehabilitation instead of jail. If an addict doesn't know there is a possibility of living a drug-free life they will never stop. Not to mention the death rate of sending an addict to jail is going up, with no one to help them get sober in prison they will get out and relapse thinking there tolerance is the same before incarceration and they take a hit and overdose. Addicts need to know there is a much better way to live, not punishing them for a treatable but often relapsing disease.

• Rehab

This isn't really a yes-no question, but taking the question as "Is it more appropriate to send addicts to jail," then, I say no, it is more appropriate to send them to rehab. Jail does not give them anything beneficial, and it costs society a great deal to keep them incarcerated. Rehab costs less, and when the person is released, they will be less likely to use drugs again because they got treatment.

• Rehab, Not Jail

No, it is not more appropriate to send addicts to jail than into rehab treatment. Addicts deserve a second chance at a normal life so they should be sent to rehab instead of jail, as long they committed no crimes in obtaining their drugs. Addicts are not much different from alcoholics and deserve the same right to treatment. The failure rate is high for both addicts and alcoholics, but at least society can say they were given a chance to reform and do something positive with their lives.

• Addicts should be in rehab programs and not jail.

Drug addicts need rehab programs and not to be put in jail just for using drugs. Prison should only be for people that commit crimes. If the addicts breaks the law to support their habit, such as stealing, then they should go to prison. But just being addicted should not be grounds for prison.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • Drugs in Prison

You can put someone in an environment where they have no more rights, but at the same time you are putting them in an environment where there are drugs all around them. If they didn't have a reason to do drugs then, well they sure have a reason to do them when you put them in jail. Why not actually help people that have an addiction and put them in rehab? At least that does something other then make them feel even worse about themselves.

• They aren't criminals

They are not criminals! They are people who are sick, you wouldn't send someone to prison for having cancer would you? No, these people need to detox and go to a nice clean rehab instead of a prison where we spend hundreds of thousands on people who don't belong there

• They aren't criminals

• Free drug addicts

Unless the drug crime has to do with an individual getting physically hurt or killed they should be sent to a medical facililty to fix there drug problem.Because in most cases im guess once the addictions gone the illegal activity is gone.Putting an individual in prison is just a bomb waiting to go off again.As soon as an individual in releases from prison there habits will come back and eventully return to prison

• They need help

I think that they should get help, it cost 20 thousand a year to put them in jail and the most expensive rehab facility cost $10,000 a year. This is per person. And once they get out about half of them will use again and fail a drug test an be put back. Costing us more money.