Is it OK for a religious person rightfully tell a non-religious person that they are wrong?

Asked by: elephunk
  • Yes, Everybody Can and Should

Yes, I completely agree, you shouldn't try to force what you believe down people's throats, and you need to respect how they feel and the opinions that they have, but when it comes down to it, any opinion (other than personal things like food preference, etc.) is either correct or incorrect, whether it be political, religious, or any other kind of opinion that is divisive among humans. This goes for whether it is a religious belief or any other belief. It is either right or wrong. And I think the goal of having opinions and sharing them is trying to find the best, correct opinions, and implementing them, doing something about them. You must respect other's opinions, but you must also try to sway others to the most correct opinion, and when others try to sway you, at least listen to determine whether your opinions are right or not. And the goal of this is to take opinions and make them into facts that everyone can agree upon, and then implement changes to make these a reality, and to make the world a better, smarter place. However, I very much believe in respecting other's opinions, and it doesn't make someone less of a person or less valuable if their oppinion isn't correct or if it is different than other opinions.

• Is it OK for a mathematician to tell a first grader that two plus two equals four?

This analogy might anger some, but the fact is that most religious people believe God exists with the same certainty that a mathematician knows two plus two equals four. It is equally (or rather, more) central to our lives that this basic fact of arithmetic. We humans were created with an innate desire to share what is good. Let us imagine I read The Lord of the Rings. My friend's favorite book is The Hunger Games. I have read both, and have no doubt in my mind that The Lord of the Rings is a better series. She has not read The Lord of the Rings. Naturally, I will want to introduce her to my favorite series. I am not going to say, "Oh, she is happy with The Hunger Games, I am not going to tell her about this wonderful series I just read." Nobody would do that, if they really loved the series and the person. Likewise, anyone who thinks they have found the truth cannot and should not abstain from proclaiming it.

• I can't see why not.

As an atheist myself, I am actually confronted with this question rather frequently. I think that every person, religious or not, has a right to speak their mind. If an individual of faith truly believes that the ideologies and arguments we propose are wrong, then they have every right to vocalize that to us. This doesn't mean that we must agree with them, but that's a different issue for a different time. For now, I would have to say that it is perfectly fine for a religious person to tell a nonreligious person that they believe them to be wrong.

• Just like believing

Being non-religious does not mean that you do not carry yourself without morality. Religion is a set of beliefs and not believing just means that your beliefs are different, not nonexistent. Telling someone they're wrong about their beliefs isn't right no matter what side of the fence you're sitting on.

• No its completely a wrong thing.

In my opinion,everyone has different beliefs and it doesn't mean that a person is nonreligious so he/she is not good.The only thing from which a person can be judged is character.So ,no one has the right to tell anyone wrong just because they are non religious.Also,it doesn't mean that if a person is religious so he/she is good because nowadays we are coming across many incidents that the religious persons are committing crimes and playing with the people beliefs and faith.

• Religion is Personal

Religion or your personal belief system belongs to you and should drive the way you live YOUR life. You can have a open conversation with someone about what you believe in, but you also need to take into account the experiences/beliefs of the other. This just comes down to respect. If you want someone to respect your beliefs or feelings about something, you must respect the beliefs and feelings of the other person. After all, isn't this what most religions teach anyway??

• This question can be flipped on to either side

Opinion and faith are complicated things. In the end a religious person will believe that they are right and that the non-religious person is wrong, and some non-religious people will be convinced by their view and believe that they are right and the religious person is wrong.
    However an unprovoked attack on another person's beliefs be it one way or the other is never okay. Don't dish out your opinion unless it was asked for, and if you have a desire to share your opinion, have the courtesy to ask first. If they say no, respect the no.
    On the other hand however, if you asked for an opinion you have no right to complain.
    Playing the victim card is something we're all really good at. It comes down to how well you are able to handle people's differing opinions.