• Yes, yes, umm... Yes.

This is a very touchy topic for myself, as I'm a strong atheist.
    Religion must be questioned and even satarised as ALL religions are fundamentally flawed, always in belief and often in practice. Whether Jesus or elder god Cthulhu, criticism by means of science and logic should be used in regards to religion, in the hope that one day all adherents will vacate the church, the mosque, the synagogue, as well as the battlefield and remove the bomb strapped vest - religion hurts people.

• Criticizing religion is ok

I believe it is ok to criticize religion just as I believe it is ok to criticize secular beliefs. Nothing is protected from criticism as per the 1st amendment. It's the sad reality of life. Maybe it's not so sad though, because I love criticizing secular beliefs. When you feel something is wrong, you need to speak up

• Depends on the circumstances.

People have feelings; ideas and concepts don't. Religion, is open for scrutiny, analysis, parody, and mocking, much in the same way as political parties, because it is merely a concept without feelings fragile to criticism. But its followers have feelings that deserve to be respected. Thus, it's okay to criticize religion in contexts where it's debatable, such as a debate website, but definitely not in everyday interactions with a religious person.

• Everything is open to criticism.

Why should anything not be open to scrutiny? We must look at everything objectively, and argue against and for it. I personally feel that it is okay to criticize anything. Now I do believe that certain criticisms are not okay. It is not okay to criticize something for no reason, or for racist, sexist or otherwise unfounded criticisms.

• It's basically attacking an individual's rights.

In American (and other nations), religious freedom is the norm. When you attack a religion, or a non-believer, you are basically attacking their fundamental rights. Aside from being disrespectful to the individual, it also shows an overwhelming lack of regard for the country and its founding principles. One could even argue that any individual who repeatedly engages in attacking religion has the propensity to commit a hate crime against religious individuals. Or, where attacks are focused on non-believers, the propensity to commit a hate crime against atheists. When a person criticizes religion, their actions say more about them (as an individual) and their emotional/mental state than it offends the subject matter (religion) or its members.

• Drawing lines is not ok

If we deem that it is not ok to criticize one thing, then therefore it should not be ok to criticize anything at all. It's either all or none. You can't pick and choose what is ok, or not ok. Why should one area of belief be exempt from criticism? Is it immune? No, I think not. Religion is philosophy, and philosophy is a fluid and changing entity. These changes are cause by criticism itself. If we eliminate criticism, then we basically eliminate change.

• I'm surprised and pleased at all the intelligent responses before this one

Well, without criticism, religion gets stale and boring, just keep individuals out of it and don't get personal like some other people say, remember, you want to criticise religion, not the individuals associated with it, to keep a more objective view of it in perspective. Religion, not the person is what you are going for.

• Not only okay, but *necessary*

...For multiple reasons.

1) Religion contains opinions, beliefs and assertions about history, medicine, psychology, economics, morality, ethics, law and geopolitics. Any time we advocate about any of these things, we have an impact on our fellow man, and so we should be accountable for what we advocate.

2) An informed decision about religion must be based on criteria and critique of different faiths. So any justification of why you're a member of one faith but not some others implicitly contains a critique of other faiths. At some point explaining or promoting your faith at all is a critique.

3) Religions are full of evil ideas the faithful are very fond of. Historically, these include support of slavery, the right to mutilate infants, the subjugation of women, capital punishment, the treatment of children as chattels, the right to invade infidels, and support for draconian Bronze Age punishments including torture, mutilation and executions. If we don't criticise evil, we condone it.

And finally...

4) Religions are very adept at discouraging questions about articles of dogma. In fact, questions and disputes have traditionally been quashed with imprisonment, torture, murder and exile. If the faithful don't see challenges from outside their faith, they may never see them at all.

I hope that may be of use.

• Freedom of thinking and good sens of criticizing are useful for humanity

As living being with a thinking faculty, it it necessary to have a sens of critic which helps us think freely about many things concerning our civilization and more precisely something like religion which is on the basis of many events through the history and until now helps powerful or elite class people to control masses of those different to them .
    Religion has been used to control and enslave people to submit the entire civilization to a group of people, it has been on the basis of wars and many disastrous events in history .

• The only way to advance in knowledge is to question every base assumption.

Whether someone questions Atheism, Christianity, or a new age supernatural belief should not be deemed as offensive. If a religion or ideology does not wish to have it's base beliefs questioned, it shouldn't submit them for public review. If a religious person chooses to prosthelytize, then they are in fact opening a debate by the very act.

• Religion is simply a belief system

Most people who criticize a religion are uneducated in what they are critiquing in the first place. To criticize religion is the same as criticising any person with a belief system different to your own. It is the same problem all cultures share. They do not like what is new or different from them. People have criticized for a variety of reasons (homosexuality, ethnicity, social status) and religion is just another thing to target when you don't believe in what a person is doing. Religion helps instill morals into young people. Who is anyone to judge another or criticize their beliefs as we are all individuals and deserve the right to to think and believe what we feel.

SweetTea says2014-01-16T10:09:51.950
When I hit the "No" button, how did my remarks end up under "Yes"?
Sagey says2014-01-19T13:20:10.060
Well SweetTea, maybe God disagreed with you. :-D~

BTW: If anybody wants to hear how Irrational and Stupid religious Apologists are, then listen to Steve Shives readings of Apologists works.
Steve gives honest reading of their work. With very honest skeptics criticism of their work as well.
Sagey says2014-01-19T13:21:52.900
Here's a link to one of Steve Shive's readings:
SweetTea says2014-01-19T16:05:54.287
Well, Sagey, I'm inclined to think my post ended up on the wrong side because somebody at DDO was being a smarta**. But you might be right. After all, Christ himself criticized the Sanhedrin (note that wasn't the religion but its leaders). That ultimately led to his demise. Back then, nobody had religious freedom on the books as a written law. So, I stand by my initial post ... If you attack religion, today, It's basically attacking an individual's rights and it isn't okay to do. It's wrong, on a variety of levels. In American (and other nations), religious freedom is the norm. When you attack a religion, or a non-believer, you are basically attacking their fundamental rights. Aside from being disrespectful to the individual, it also shows an overwhelming lack of regard for the country and its founding principles. One could even argue that any individual who repeatedly engages in attacking religion has the propensity to commit a hate crime against religious individuals. Or, where attacks are focused on non-believers, the propensity to commit a hate crime against atheists. When a person criticizes religion, knowing that such a freedom exists, it says more about them than it offends the subject matter (religion) or its members. Don't blame religion for the bad actions taken, by a few within it. People, by human nature, sin.
Sagey says2014-01-20T01:40:34.207
Well SweetTea: Maybe you should look at it this way: Christians and Muslims for centuries have been attacking and even slaughtering non-believers and those from opposing religions for years, though non-believers (Heathens/Infidels) had been copping the worst of it, with many slayed in such events like the Inquisitions, witch hunts, and are still being massacred in Islamic countries, just for their non-belief.
Non-believers had been taking criticism, abuse and being killed for their ideals for thousands of years, so it's about time the tide had turned.
Sagey says2014-01-20T01:51:19.280
Religion has created so many problems in society that it needs to be torn apart, established businesses (churches) need to be torn down and made accountable for their devious deceptions they put on their followers.
Religion should move from being an Institutionalized affair to becoming purely a personal belief concern.
Childhood Indoctrination by organizations should cease and children left to make up their own minds in their mid to late teens.
Once all those Usurpers (Catholic and Assembly Of God) churches are gone and people simply believe in any particular God (not an Indoctrination imposed God) if they want to.

You see: Indoctrination takes away freedom of choice, it brainwashes individuals into a belief system instead of letting them choose for themselves. So Indoctrination is anti-freedom of religion.

When we achieve a truly Secular (neutral) nation where people are not Indoctrinated and thus can freely choose to believe in God or not to,
Then there will be little value in attacking religion, because only then would we be attacking personal choice.

While religion is a big business, power and money making concern of groups who Indoctrinate Innocent children and thus remove their Freedom of choice through brain-washing, then those establishments, deserve to be derided and attacked, by whatever means we can find available.
SweetTea says2014-01-20T09:04:20.300
Sagey ... I cannot speak for Islam or Judaism, but Christianity teaches us that believers will be persecuted for their beliefs. The verses, found in the Book of Matthew, come from Christ's Sermon on the Mount (as Protestants know it) or the Beatitudes (as Catholics know it),
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." So, pound away. As for indoctrination ... Don't make me laugh! If you are a non-believer, you know squat about religion or being a part of it. I never felt pressured, or brainwashed. Half my family is Protestant and half is Catholic. I was repeatedly given a choice about my faith ... When I made First Communion, my Confirmation, even in my life today. No legitimate church (a cult maybe) just pounds its beliefs into you. There are steps in the process and a person is not shuffled through them. You make those steps, when you are ready. You don't do it, unless you feel comfortable with the teachings/beliefs of the faith. That's choice, hon. What non-believers just can't seem to grasp is that people choose to have faith ... They want to experience that journey ... They actually believe in what they cannot see ... They feel it inside. Faith is like love. It requires the heart -- not hard data! You think a "Secular" nation will provide a utopia, where non-believers and believers will co-exist in harmony. Ever heard of Murphy's Law? Or this quote by Arthur Bloch, "Every solution breeds new problems"? Such a conversion would only create a new set of difficulties. Whether you want to accept it or not, those problems could be far worse than anything believers or non-believers experience today.
Sagey says2014-01-20T09:36:42.917
Yet, they got you to be superstitious, believe in spiritual beings and an afterlife, the brainwashing worked.
You are Indoctrinated, thus you are very likely far less rational and critical in your thinking skills than somebody who remained un-indoctrinated. They tried to indoctrinate me, but I realized from a very young age that the priest was an idiot, so I did not listen to him and thus avoided indoctrination by him. All priests are indeed Idiots, bar none!
Sagey says2014-05-23T03:00:19.137
It is acceptable to Criticize Astrology, Palmistry and Psychics; So it should be equally Okay to Criticize Religion, because after all, Religion Is Just Another Superstition.