Is it possible to criticize the government and be patriotic?

• Please read the Declaration of Independence. Criticism is the foundation for change and this great countries catalyst.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. "

• It's absolutely possible

The government consists of human beings. To err is human. Sometimes the government does things that go against the constitutional, social, and moral foundations of the country. Other times the government's actions spoil the international image of the country. The government must be criticized for its various mishandlings. It's utterly patriotic.

• Criticism is everywhere; just learn to deal with it

Critics is thrown at you whether you like it or not. You just need to learn to accept it, this coming from a 14 year old. As they " life is a journey where you stumble and fall."; "life is unfair."
    Both qoutes show that joy need to accept it....

• Face the fact.

When you are in power, everyone will praise you even for every stupid mistake you make and this will put an end for you to improve.
    People in power should welcome criticism to improve their self.
    Why break the mirror which shows your ugly face? When you need it Improve.

• Very possible and a true patriot!!!!!

The only ways to a successful government is when open all it institutions to (Media critics) Critics lead to correction and improvement of corruptions, bad governance, one man decisions, nepotism (Dictator tendency) in the country. In a country where there is no freedom of speech it always fall under dictatorial regime, therefore playing a full roll of critics in you country amount to be "hero" after the accomplishment of the whole game either dead or a live "Dictatorship into Democracy" (DD)

• To Question is Our Duty

It is our duty, as people to question everything that can possibly be questioned. It is our duty to look into matters that involve us and every law, regulation, war, and policy affects us. Without individual thought, there can be no democracy, to not question our president would make our president a dictator. "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" -Thomas Jefferson

• Patriotism & culture

India is popular for its culture and if no govt. Is there the culture can handle the country. Tourists come to see our culture but not government and government is not so important for us. It is defiantly possible to live without a democracy or govt. As it is just a support to couuntry

• Yeah! You can love!

If the government is doing something wrong that does not mean that you dont love your country. You cannot judge a book by its cover, in the same way you cannot judge a country by its government. India is a beautiful country, only the government is not good. I love india

• It's very possible.

It's no more impossible than being in love with someone but still being able to tell them how they've hurt you. You can love the country you live in and support it, but offer constructional criticism to the government. You have to be pretty narrow minded to say you're either 100% for it or 100% against it. Nothing will ever be 100% perfect, but you can still support those things and offer them ways to improve themselves.

• Say it how it is

You can disagree with your government's view on things and say so. That way hopefully your government will know and if enough say so, they may change their mind. This hppened many times with the GSLP. The public have been able to change the governments mind. Patriotic does not mean blinded. In a true democracy you can say what you think without fear of being called unpatriotic.

• Criticizing is Not Patriotic

I think we should support our country in what it does, without regard to our private doubts. We can work towards making our country a better place (voting, participating) but we should not openly say that what we are doing is wrong. We chose to live in this country, so we must also choose to support it

• No it is not patriotic to criticize the government.

We criticize the government. But we dont do anything ourselves very much except criticizing the government. So we must do some jobs ourselves, then and then only we have the right (according to me) to criticize the government.

• Right to remove politicians

The man in the streets has no rights the government protects itself by legalities created by themselves.

They I not made accountable for their stupid policies and actions. Tony Blair should have been arrested for going to war illegally and tried.

I have no respect for this spineless government the can't even deport a terrorist.

• It is a contradiction that baffles me.

've gotten trouble over this, but I hold my ground and have not changed my opinion. I do NOT believe anyone can truly be a genuine American if they freely criticize our country's leader. Yes, I'm talking about President Barak Obama. I was raised to respect those in authority, particularly when that authority figure represents a nation I have pledged to support. It literally disgusts me that it's become so commonplace to bash the person holding the highest office in our land - I cringe to think of where this trend will take us as a society. I do not suggest that everyone agree with our authority figures - has anyone ever consistently agreed with their parents or teachers, for example? But where has the concept of respect gone? And don't give me that old spiel about how someone has to "earn" respect. A person in a high office HAS earned the right to our respect by virtue of having been elected to that office. I've lost friends over my opinions in the past and I'm sure I will again, but sometimes a conscientious person just has to speak out, as I am doing.

Flipper72725 says2013-10-29T01:30:06.993
"The Highest Patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of ones country deep enough to call her to a higher standard."
-George McGovern