Is it possible to know what someone deserves just by observing their actions or would you have to live their life to know.

Asked by: steffon66
  • At a certain point, behaviors are a choice.

There are some behaviors we as a society must not ever tolerate. If a man is a pedophile and rapes small children, I am terribly sorry that he was victimized as a child and whoever knew about it and did nothing should suffer. But that does not mean I exempt him of responsibility for his actions. Simply the fact that he has been traumatized does not forever relinquish him of guilt for bad behaviors. It is most obvious in cases where people who were once victimized don't turn around and victimize others, in spite of their own trauma and increased liklihood of becoming an abuser. The reason these people exist is because at a certain point, once you are no longer in a state of duress (no one is holding a gun to your head anymore) then you are CHOOSING to enact bad, evil or violent behaviors.
    It's a tender balance to be sure. I hate the perpetrators of 9/11. I can honestly say, without knowing these men, that I hate them. I don't know what was done to them to make them desire to commit the atrocities they did. I don't understand why they hated us, indiscriminately, as much as they did. I'm sure it has something to do with them getting completely screwed over by my government at some point, or perhaps for generations even. But you know what I do know? I know there were 6 children under the age of 7 that died on planes that day. One plane carried a 2, 3, and 6 year old. I know for absolutely sure that they didn't do anything to deserve the actions of those men. I know for sure that they did nothing to deserve a death sentence.
    If I could go back in time and kill those men to prevent those children from dying, I would. Gladly. Because they made a CHOICE, to kill babies. To kill thousands of innocent, or not, human beings. I don't care what they suffered. They were grown people who were not known to be mentally ill. They made a choice. And so I can condemn them without so much as knowing their names.

You know who I don't condemn? MLK. Nelson Mandela. Ghandi. That's where you see the benefit of judging actions and behaviors. These men affected change without any violence. They made a choice. That choice was not to behave badly, in spite of the fact they they were all victimized too. I don't need to know anything outside of that. I pity both groups, but I can condemn the first without guilt.

• No. Nein. Nine.

We cannot judge their lives, or them as persons. That is up to GOD, because His justice is infinitely perfect. Our version of justice is not His way.

Jesus did not say, however, that we could not judge their deeds. A deed is good, a deed is bad, etc. GOD knows what evil is and we know what evil is. Evil is evil. Our enemy is the same.

Yes, you would have to live their life, and suffer the same guilt to know what they deserve (you can tell by watching yourself beg for mercy.)

• Why is it for us to decide?

This is an easy one. I hope I can fill the words. We have no idea of their motives by simply observing the actions. If somebody accidentally presses the accelerator and kills a pregnant mother do they deserve the punishment that society deals them? I don't think so. There was no intention of killing anyone, just to slow down. I do not need to provide any more examples to make my point. Goodnight

• I meant to use a question mark on this question lol

I say no you cannot know what someone deserves just by observing their actions. For instance most people would think that a person who tortures an animal deserves to be tortured themselves. Children who are sexually abused almost always torture animals and light fires while kids who arent abused generally dont do these things. So obviously there are causes for our will and for me to do something wouldnt be the same as you doing it. Not to mention you dont know their feelings and logic. You do most of what you do in accordance with your feelings and logic. Everybodies brain works differently and everybody has been taught different things. How can a person be punished for doing something wrong when they dont know that its wrong. And everybody has a different idea of whats right and wrong as their are tons of contradictory moralities.

Because of religion we assume that everybody who is not severely mentally ill is responsible for their actions and knows right from wrong. There are thousands of religions that all contradict each other and none stands out more than any other like you would expect one to if it were created by a perfect omniscient god. Religion makes many claims that are false and i know this for many reasons one being the contradictions. I also know this because of what ive observed and analysed. It says people know right from wrong while everybody has a different opinion on whats right and wrong therefor thats clearly all they are is opinions and not knowledges. And as time goes on we change our moralities which wouldnt happen if we knew right from wrong. Moral progress would be nonexistent if we knew right from wrong as we would have always had the morality we have now assuming we are right now but we cant be completely right. The chances are extremely against it anyways. The bible says its ok to punish children for the sins of their parents. The children have no control over their parents actions though which clearly means they arent deserving of the punishment for their parents actions. Does it sound like the person who wrote this knows right from wrong. And this wasnt just some nut case these were people who everybody listened to so if they were nutcases then everybody was a nut case and if they were nutcases then and didnt know it how do you know we arent nutcases now. Evolution doesnt work so fast that we would be completely irrational a few thousand years ago but are rational now. Anyways if i dont stop ill go on all day long about religion and i think ive proved my point so ill shut up.