• Can Be Done

It is possible, in rare circumstances to remain friends after a break up. It does not happen very often, but it will more than likely evolve naturally. Pushing to stay friends with someone after a break up can be awkward and generally leads to failure. It should not be a goal.

• Obviously this is true

Where there is a will, there is a way. Simple as that. You can hang out, you can talk, have lunch, be supportive, listen, and who knows maybe even sleep together. I dont know. What I do know is that it is in the realm of possibility, right everyone? Good.

• I have before

Because of the fact that I trusted the people I wanted to be friends with I was able to stay friends with them. It wasn't easy, we didn't and couldn't move on at first, but now that we both have I know I can talk to that person easily if I need to. I don't have to be buddy buddy and hang out with them all the time. But because I wasn't betrayed by that person during the rough patches, I know I can trust them for life.

• Yes, it is

This is out of pure experience. I had a boyfriend and we broke up, but we still stayed together as friends and are very happy today. I think it is sad if you don't because if you just tried a little harder then you could probably still be friends again.

• You can make it work, you just need time to be alone.

If you broke up, it means that you were probably in each others faces a bit too much. Every person needs a little time to their selves, to think about things without anyone else there. You can still be friends without being together all the time, seeing each other twice a week or something.

• Possible, Yes. Always? No.

It really does depend on individual situations. One cannot say that it will work in every situation nor that it won't work in any. I think that the after-friendship works best in relationships that weren't very passionate to begin with; those where either the two were friends to begin with and dated 'just to see', or even met at a party, slept together for a while and realized neither of them liked it. Generally though if two people were ever in a situation where they genuinely had intense feelings for one another, even if both people loses that passion, it will usually turn to indifference.

• Sure, it's possible, but it's probably not a great idea.

Unless the relationship was very short, or very casual, it's probably not a great idea to remain friends with your exes. After all, they're exes for a reason, and they should remain a part of your past, in most cases. Often friendships with exes hold people back from seeking out new relationships.

• Can adults be mature?

If two people can be mature adults and be in control of their emotions, then there is no reason why they could not stay close. If feelings are raw, and there has not been enough time to move on from close emotions, then chances are that things will be more trouble than they are worth.

• You may have always been meant to be just friends

Perhaps romance grew out of an existing friendship, but it turned out that the two of you were not cut out for such a relationship. If the relationship is built on a solid friendship, you might be able to revert to it. It may be difficult to eliminate feelings of jealousy in the future, but the friendship might be worth it.

• You can try but is it worth it?

From my personal experience, I've tried to remain friends with some of my ex's in the past. But when I hung out with them I realized it wasn't a smart choice.

It created a lot of anxiety for me and I had to hear about their problems and new dating partners which I wasn't very happy with as I don't want to be an exes dear abby.

When someone breaks up with you sometimes the best thing you can do is keep them as far out of your life is possible. Yes you may miss them from time to time but you have a better peace of mind. Like the saying goes sometimes in life ignorance is bliss. If they were the dumped you and hurt you why would you want a constant reminder of that hurt in your life.

• You can try but is it worth it?

• It is always awkward

If you had any kind of a living and passionate relationship with another person, it can never grow into a REAL friendship. There will always be an awkwardness going on, especially when new significant others are involved. It could never be totally spontaneous and natural.
    It does not mean that you cannot stay in good terms and in touch with your ex. It can be a good thing especially with somebody you had a good relationship based on mutual trust and respect, and is a necessity if you have children together. But even then, you will never be friends, but exes who remained in good terms. It is important to make the distinction.

• Hardly ever.

Lord Byron once said "Friendship may, and often does, grow into love, but love never subsides into friendship."
    If the relationship was one of strong emotions, then moving on from that, and being just friends is nearly impossible. Unless you're really good at diffusing awkwardness which most people aren't. If it was a short lived relationship, then I think going back to being friends would be achievable, after moving on and losing the desire to be with that person. After all, being friends would mean enjoying one another's company yet wanting to still be with that person and having so close yet o far away would be emotionally painful.

• Why did you breakup in the first place?

It will be impossible to be friends with your ex because of a couple of reasons, firstly, your irreconcilable differences will keep coming back to haunt you and him. Secondly, when he gets a new girl in his life and you still have feelings for him, you will be forced to face the awkward moment. Lastly, give the other person a break and move on with your life rather than clinging on.

• There will always be feelings there.

I've never been friends with somebody after a breakup, but I know that I still have strong feelings for my ex that would make staying friends really hard on a person. Even those who are friend-zoned seem butthurt over the rejection and remaining friends with them is difficult as well. Though I wish it were possible, I don't think it is.