Is it rude when someone rolls their eyes at you?

Asked by: dirtygabbchez
  • Rude rude rude

It's the height of bad manners and immaturity , it makes the person on the receiving end feel devalued , it's the height of rudeness , and unfortunately my son has got this perfected to an art much to my disgust , and makes my blood boil and feel sad at same time

• It was very rude to say that eye rolling is annoying for us

So first of all it may upset others if you say eye rolling is rude nah I'll say it is really cruel to say eye rollers are rude because it says they don't want your piece of test saying oh it's really mean so you can shut your mouth or else I will kill you

• Yes, of course it is

I know someone who does this all the time, and when I point it out, they say it doesn't mean anything, that it's just an expression. However, when I further discuss what they were feeling, it was a combination of annoyance, disbelief with annoyance, or contempt with annoyance. Pointing this out, the person still insists the expression means nothing but clearly the expression is matched with feelings of annoyance. However, to the point of the questions, I find it both offensive and rude because they are completely discounting what I am saying as wrong or false, regardless of what the conversation is. That's just plain bad manners - how about you try to understand before you get annoyed at something someone is saying.

• Yes of course

This is very rude. This is very rude rolling your eyes at someone because it shows that they act like if they don't care. My second cousin always does this. Would you consider this rude or is it just me.? This is also another way because they want to provoke you for you to start causing problems.

• Extremely rude and shows a lack of respect for the other person.

I thought that I had a good relationship with my sister in law until I caught her rolling her eyes behind my back. I have health problems and take a medication that mess with my memory when I have to take the med. I was at a family reunion and stumbled upon a word and when my brother (not the one married to her) said the word that I was looking for, she looked at him and made a face and rolled her eyes. I mentioned that when people make faces behind someone's back, they should be sure that they are not standing in front of a mirror at the time where the person could see them. I had always tried to go out of my way to be nice to her but when she did that it made me feel that she was being disrespectful and snooty and I have not felt the same toward her since. I am nice toward her for my brother and nephew's sake, but I no longer trust her or feel as close to her because I wonder how many times she has done this in the past that I didn't notice and how many times she will do it in the future.

• It's so rude!!!!

My "friend" meghan always rolls her eyes at me through text and calls me the b word and im sick of it. I finally called her out on it an called her a brat. I cant even go on because im so pissed at her. But i need five more words so

• Rolling eyes is not right

Rolling your eyes is not right. So stop all the eye rolling people. If you roll your eyes just keep in mind that it's inmuture and disrespectful. It can hurt people's feelings. If you roll your eyes it makes you look like a big fat brat. It's not right. Stop!

• It rude to roll eyes

It's very rude to roll eyes. It's very immature and disrespectful. It makes you want to punch the person in the face when they roll their eyes. It really doesn't make you look cool and makes you look like a big fat brat. It makes you also look selfish and not a caring person. It can be cause their jealous.

• Of course it is rude to roll your eyes

The arguments that say it isn't rude just don't make any sense to me. It's obviously the worst thing ever, but it is a rude expression. Its base purpose is to show annoyance, so how could it be nice or good or anything but rude? My dad rolls his eyes at me a lot, peractically any time I talk about anything in depth or say more than two sentences at a time. Most recently, it was after my mom went through some genetic testing. I was saying something about the results and a study I read, and he rolled his eyes at me. I asked why and he said that he was trying to watch TV. No he wasn't! We had ALL been having a discussion for at least the past thiry minutes. He talked, too! I'm not stupid. I guess I was just talking too long for his liking, but I had something to say. It always feels like a slap in the face when he does that. It makes me feel like my contributions don't matter to him and even that I don't matter to him. How can that be anything but rude?

• Rolling your eyes at somene is extremely rude, and demeaning!

To do such a thing negates the entire person. The person doing the eye rolling is showing the person speaking just how little the person who they rolled their eyes at is valued. They may as well have taken a chainsaw and cut that person down right at the knees!

• Form of Self-expression and body language

Rolling your eyes is a way to express how you are feeling. It is very much like someone crying. If I disagree with someone and for some reason I feel I can't say anything in response I will roll my eyes. Not because I'm trying to be rude, but because it is body language and a subconscious way to express what you feel. People act like it is the most awful thing in the world, but really it is just body language! It is crying, laughing, shrugging, pacing! It is what our body does to show and express emotion. If someone rolls their eyes at me, I may feel insulted, but I wouldn't consider it rude. Expressing your opinion (unless spoken in a way to purposely offend or provoke) is never rude.

• Body language is our most basic and instinctual way of showing and interpreting emotion.

Would you be less offended if someone said "I don't like what you/they just said" than if they rolled their eyes? It actually takes a lot more work for our brains to interpret and verbalize our emotions than it does for our brains to receive and display our emotions in a physical way (body language). Our very first forms of expression are all physical, and we send messages about how we're feeling from birth to death often without realizing were doing it. Think about children in particular; they typically have a limited vocabulary, and an especially limited feelings vocabulary. They aren't going to know to say "I'm disgusted", "I'm perturbed", or "I'm annoyed." They feel those things and the only way they can communicate that to you is by rolling their eyes. Now there are situations in which adults roll their eyes to add a dramatic factor, and these instances may be considered rude. However, it is important to realize that this may be the most accurate way for someone to convey their emotions in a given circumstance.

• Don't be overly sensitive

Someone rolling their eyes is the least rude action to ever make. People roll their eyes when they know they can't change your mind on something but in a way it's showing that they are acting powerless before your opinions and decisions. Calling each other names and sticking up the middle finger can beat rolling eyes out of the water any day. Someone rolling their eyes at me isn't going to illicit any anger from me.

• Rolling eyes is disrespectful and demeaning

The person rolling their eyes are showing their contempt and disrespect for the person to which they are doing this immature guesture. People have feelings and when they are disrespected due to the derisive contempt being displayed by the eye roller that person no longer will want to have any communications with that person. My wife does this to me and when I call her on it she says it does not mean anything. This is her way of attempting to gloss over the total disrespect that she has for me. My feelings get trounced upon and I do not want to have any communications with a person that has contempt for me to do such an act. This type of behavior towards me causes me to think that I am not loved and not valued for what I have to contribute to a conversation. Communications is very important to the stability and longevity of a marriage.

• Rolling eyes only considered rude!

When one person says eye rolling is rude, it shifts examination TO eye-roller and AWAY FROM why other person gets annoyed by it.! Is other person Irritated that eye-roller does not agree with something? Insecure about validity of own opinions? Being too self-absorbed? If irritated by eye rolling, examine self!

• It is usually because someone else was rude first.

I rarely roll my eyes. Usually, when I roll my eyes it's because someone else is being aggressive. Yes, I am annoyed but I'm only annoyed that the other person can't stay civil. Understanding is a two way street. The one being aggressive should try to understand me also and not just expect me to be a door mat and let him push me around.

• It is usually a response to someone else being rude first.

I rarely roll my eyes but when I do, it's usually because someone is being aggressive toward me. So yes I am annoyed but I'm annoyed because the other person isn't being civil. Understanding is a two way street and the one being aggressive toward me needs to try to understand me too, not just expect me to roll over and be a door mat.