Is it safe for kids to talk to strangers on the Internet?

• A lot of sites aren't safe

But this one my instincts tell me I can trust it. This site is much better than a lot of sites I've seen. Yahoo Answers has a lot of pedophiles, which just makes the site disgusting and trashy. Sodahead is up there as well. But this site is so much better.

• ... . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . ,. . .. .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . . . . .. . . .

• Talking is not good

I believe children shouldnt talk to any1 they dont know on the web for example on kik many children have talked to a stranger got harrased and pics of nudes etc were forced to be shown or shown to kids .Kids at very young ages see such things their eyes shouldnt see.Also many children make a friend on websites like kik,skype,viber etc and become addicted to talking to the stranger and tell them their secrets basically trusting them .Some children get to the point were they tell the person where they live and the person they have been talking to is not a child they are an adult who can kidnap the child or do worse

• Talking is okay, meeting isn't

The opinion doesn't ask whether it's safe for kids to meet random strangers they have met on the internet. Kids today are growing up with the internet, and they know the difference between a threat and friendly person. You are talking to random strangers on the internet by being on this site, would you not let your child be on here?

Posted by: Gomo
  • Nooo its not safe

It is common sense that it is not safe for children to chat with strangers on the internet. There are little to no protection on social media for harassment or stalking. Teenagers should know better and be educated on how to react to strangers, but that is not necessarily true. The best protection, in my opinion (I am not a a parent), is to simply teach your children about safe internet use, especially on social media. If they believe they are being stalked or sexually harassed

• Talking is not good

• No, they are not safe.

It's not safe for for kids to talk to strangers on the internet because some of these people could maybe act nice when you first talk to them, however when you begin to trust them they make you do some things bad and maybe they could they could make you to meet them somewhere and you could finally see what kind of person he or she is . The reason I'm saying this it because you should never meet or talk to someone you don't know in the internet. G.S

• No- only people they know

This is the sort of question which is difficult to answer if you're not a parent, and since I'm not I suppose my opinion isn't really significant. However, I think if and when I have children, I wouldn't want them talking to someone they didn't know- because the risk is simply too high. 9 times out of 10, it probably won't be anyone dangerous, but they could be and children are very impressionable, making them vulnerable. This is why websites like 'Facebook' are good, because you have to accept a friend request from someone before they can talk to you or view any of your personal information. And I would impress upon my children how important it is not to accept a request from a stranger. I don't agree with parents who monitor each and every little thing their children do online, that's too far- but this is a given.

• No but that doesn't mean they can't be safeguarded

Parents should teach their kids about Internet safety. They need to recognise the warning signs just like we teach kids about not talking to stranger's in person and getting into strangers cars. Talking over the Internet in supervision and safety may be wiser but it carries it's own risk. First off, never reveal your names, address, and contact details. Secondly, never post pictures or videos to public domain and don't give them out to people that ask for them. Thirdly, only add people to your friends tabs if you actually know them. Fourth, don't open messages from unknown sources. Fifth, inform an adult if you witness anything suspicious. Lastly,please feel free to call the police if you are being blackmailed online. The use of flagging is a useful tool as well.

• Common Knowledge Suggests No

It is common sense that it is not safe for children to chat with strangers on the internet. There are little to no protection on social media for harassment or stalking. Teenagers should know better and be educated on how to react to strangers, but that is not necessarily true. The best protection, in my opinion (I am not a a parent), is to simply teach your children about safe internet use, especially on social media. If they believe they are being stalked or sexually harassed they should save the chat and report it to police.

iwilldebateitall says2014-02-25T05:28:48.627
One of the most important things is to let others know where you're going when you meet a stranger. Sometimes people don't do this because they are shy or dont want to get in trouble (often with their parents). Using www.TellBuddy.com kind of fixes those problems.