Is it safe to play football due to concussion injuries related to multiple brain diseases?

Asked by: 1020409
  • Football is not safe

Football can give you suicidal thoughts, ideas and it may give you mental issues.Some people think that High School football is just as safe as band, glee club, or choir. A parent of a High School football player is no more worried for his 16 year old son driving than his son playing football. I challenge this man, the Journal Neurology reported that football players are three to four times more likely than the rest of us to die from brain diseases. CTE is one brain disease that was recently discovered by Dr. Bennet Omalu. CTE is short for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. Some of CTE’s victims include professional football players such as Forrest Blue, Cookie Gilchrist, Junior Seau, Mike Webster and Ralph Wenzel. I think football is affecting too many people and something has to be done about it. People have to know what can happen to them if they play football, brain trauma and death!

• Football is not safe

• Football is not safe

• No its not safe

It's not safe but that does not mean it is wrong to participate or enjoying viewing American football. At the end of the day this fact is now common knowledge and players are taking a risk in exchange for large sums of money. And if they are willing to do this who are we to criticize. Joining the marines is dangerous, very dangerous however if people still want to join that's ok. Being a police officer, a boxer, a rally car driver, all dangerous. However if they are willing to take the risk then let them.

• Playing football never appealed to me

From the beginning, I was never interested in playing football. It's a more violent sport compared to sports such as basketball and baseball. I don't fancy getting knocked to the ground constantly. After I saw the film Concussion, I now have doubts about even watching football. It's like what Dr. Omalu said in the film, "God did not design us to play football".

• No it's not.

I teach at a high school, and every year I see my students who are involved in football (and other sports for that matter) take home their "waiver of responsibility for accidental death and injury" paperwork for their parents to fill out. Parents don't have to sign a waiver to send kids to my classroom, but they do have to sign a waiver to let them on the football field. This shows that the school acknowledges that there is a danger in playing a sport that does not otherwise exist at the school.

• Studies show that this is dangerous...

According to many studies done by universities all over the United States, there are 50 confirmed cases of former football players with CTE, a brain degeneration disease that has resulted in the suicide of many former NFL players. 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for this brain disease which was founded by Dr. Bennet Omalu. This is affecting people in so many ways, such as loss of family members, etc. I don't think that it is safe to play football.