Is it the government's job to take care of its people?

• It is the government's job to serve its people

Governments only exist because of the people; people create governments. The government is therefore DEFINITELY OBLIGATED to serve the people. The government should be one with the people, meaning all the ideas of the people match up with the ideas of the government. A government represents the people and serves them. Many governments today are separate from the people and this is not the right way as governments are created due to the people's desires. However, if governments abuse their power and/or ignores the ideas and desires of the people, then it wouldn't be a government that serves its people. In this sense, government leaders should be working in the government completely for the people, not for money; what is the point of having a leader who is not faithful and serve the people? These ideas are of a true democracy, ideas that many 'democratic' politicians and governments either forget or ignore.
    --From a non-biased observer of the world.

Posted by: Mbhn
  • In Times of Crisis and Calamity

When things happen such as the Great Recession and natural disasters, then the government's job is most certainly to take care of its people. Assistance to recover from sudden job loss, property damage and other calamities is what the government is supposed to do. When governments interfere with the free market or start telling citizens what to do, that's when the government has overstepped its bounds.

• Yes, we elect those who we think will do what's best for us.

The government is meant to make big decisions for our country in order to do what is best for the citizens and give us the best lives possible. We do not elect people to just do jobs, we elect them to make all the major, important decisions because we count on them to care of us. A big point of political debates is for the debaters to prove to the voters that they are the best for the job they are fighting for, that they will be the best at making things better for us. We elect them to do these jobs that will better our lives and ultimately, yes, take care of us.

• Yes vary much so.

I don’t know what else it would be for if not to protect and care for its people. The only other thing it could do is leach off of, suppress or control people for its own gain. I don’t think I can even think of anything that government should do that doesn’t fall in to the area of caring for its people.

• Yes, a government's job is to take care of its people.

Yes, I believe that a government's job is to take care of its people. While most Republicans disagree with this view and dislike a government that has any major involvement in the lives of its people, the government is a huge entity which has the power to spend trillions of dollars on behalf of the greater good for the country. In a way the government is like a parent figure in that they should support their children when in need (Medicare, Social Service, food stamps), but also punish them when they behave badly (prison time/jail time). All governments' main goals should be to 1) to stay solvent 2) to have a balanced budget and 3)to take care of its people.

• Yup yup yup

Ssbk,bs dhskdg dklgh dbd d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

• Yes it is!

I think it is the governments job to take care because technically, if he is in charge of all our other things, including banks and whatnot, then technically he is 'in charge' of us. I mean, if he wasn't, then why would it be his job to be in charge of the people who arrest us for the things we've done wrong and warn us? Then YES, IT IS HIS JOB!

Btw, thanks for considering me if you read this!

• We would have nothing without them.

Without the Government we wouldn't have jobs, homes, stores, food, schools, there wouldn't be a future for your children! Also, who do you think helps us when a natural disaster strikes? Our country would fall apart within a month because banks would close, houses couldn't get built, food couldn't get transported. The crime rate would surly go up because their wouldn't be any police officers as well as the death toll increasing from mobs of people freaking out. If you want a country with no government move to a different country and see what it's like, terrible.

• No and Yes (Depends on who and how)

The best way the government can help people is to provide them with a chance to take care of themselves: getting a job. This means the government should do their part to improve growth possibilities for its country’s economy, try and create as many jobs as possible, and promote economic freedom. A powerful economy, not a powerful government, is an incentive for totally capable people to take their matters into their own hands. Only when it comes to people who are unable to take care of themselves (retired and disabled people including veterans) should the government provide directly.

• Where would we be without the government?

Without a well standing army, and a perfect standing in the world, we would be compared to smaller 3rd world countries. It's the government's job to protect us in war time, and to enforce the laws. Wouldn't that be considered taking care of us? As an American citizen, I can relate to how the government take's care of us by preventing conflicts from taking place on our land, by taking the fight to them. Isn't that enough for people to realize that they already do take care of us?

• Read the Constitution!

We need to get back to the actual reason the Founding Fathers started this "experiment" we call the United States of America. Start by reading the US Constitution. The federal government's job is to provide for the common defense of the people and to ensure all citizens receive equal treatment under the law (NOT to ensure everyone is equal!). So called "progressives" need to study history, particularly American history. Our democracy only works when the citizenry is educated, involved, and moralistic. THAT'S how you hold government responsible and accountable. Today we have politicians who are not just unpatriotic hypocrites, they are treasonous...How else to explain $20,000,000,000,000 of debt (and growing)! When a preponderance of citizens want their government to make decisions for them, we are all screwed. People need to grow up, accept responsibility, and be accountable. Above all, DO NOT trust the Federal government and the politicians (on both sides of the aisle). They do not care about you. They ONLY want your vote. Here's an idea to begin real change...Only vote for a pol who will support term limits and a balanced budget amendment. I think the only reason the US Constitution doesn't address these two issues is that the Founders didn't anticipate how futures pols could act so horribly, or how "responsible" voters could keep putting them back in office. Do you really want the swamps creatures in Washington to take care of you?

• Hand not handout

Loss in this life is inevitable, what seems to be missing today is the idea that people can recover without always asking someone else for a handout to fix the loss. Who decides which losses deserve repair , who gets helped and who doesn't . This is the real problem with this idea it makes every choice a political choice and every action suspect by others.

• People who think the government has an obligation to take care of people are people who don't want the responsibility to take care of themselves.

While it is great to want to take care of everyone, everyone has the power to do so by their own choice. Government involvement is not needed unless what you really want is to force people to take care of others against their will. Choose personal choice.. Not government coercion.

• It's not their job!

The people of America are not 'stupid' babies who can't take care of themselves. Nothing I can say hasn't been said before, but I'll say it anyway. The Governments job is to enforce laws, protect borders, and other such things. They are not supposed to take intimate care of our schools, jobs, and personal lives. This country was built upon the foundations that people can take care of everyday things for themselves. The Government is only there to take care of the things of National importance that the people can't take care of, making sure that there is good roads everywhere (Not redoing roads that are just fine), or negotiating to make sure that America's people have plenty of food, or clothing that can enter America so that the people can get what they need. If we are given everything we will ever need, then we grow lazy and if this continues then America will cease to function because nobody wants to haul everyone else's weight. So people will stop working. The Government is taking to close a stance to our personal lives, they need to remember what it was set up as years and years ago.

• Sksos sks ksk

Ksk sks sksk ksk so sksos sks,s sks sks a a wmsw is wow wow,wow wmsw is aka aka,a aid d did sisjsm I smsk idk idea is wow just iwms Wilma is wow am s fuck am the. Police sks,s kW sks sks soaps sks aka a sks ls

• I take care of myself!

It is not the responsibility of the government to provide for me. There are certain exemptions, however. I pay taxes for my children to attend school, for fire protection at home, and for police protection everywhere. I also believe in my rights under the constitution, and BIG government is the antithesis of that belief.

• I can and would rather, look after myself thanks!

I can and would rather, look after myself thanks, they can't be here all the time, they won't be here when I'm flooded, they won't be able to help me when ISIS take over the country, they are bullying arrogant megalomaniacs that should be consigned to history. A new system of democracy is needed and the old one needs to be binned!

• No why read below

Why because i believe us. U.S Americans can take CARE of ourselves without being told what is wrong with us. I know its kind of selfish but we don't need a babysitter when ever something is wrong with us. I can understand that their are some reason that we would need help. (Disorder etc...) but that doesn't mean we cant take care of ourselves, like i mean really isn't that what our parents taught us. How to be INDEPENDENT

• Not government's job

It shouldn't be the government's job to support the people because the government should be busy enforcing the laws. Other people should be making sure its people are taken care of not the government. The government has better things to do and shouldn't be wasting its time or money on this.