• End reverse discrimination

As an older woman who has worked her entire life to help her husband support their children, I think it is time to end affirmative action. I am now disabled, but unable to get government assistance. I worked my body into the ground by working like a man as a machinist for twenty years. I have not ever been given the opportunity to work a desk job, because black women in South Carolina have been given these jobs for YEARS. Now that my legs and body have deteriorated I can't get SSI or Medicaid at the age of 61. I have no kids and I'm not an illegal immigrant, as explained by those same black women at those agencies.

• No, but AA needs to be applied in a limited and morally consistent manner.

I am a "person of color" who grew up under very modest circumstances. I received some aid based on my background. However, my children are growing up with most of the advantages of the greater society. I do not want them to apply for special advantages. Instead, I used the leg up I received to educate them to be smarter and more mature than I was at their ages. They are. All three took AP Calculus as Freshman and had out of sight GPAs and transcripts.

Affirmative action should serve the poor and powerless first. If your parents and grandparents went to prestigious universities, then conventional AA should not apply to you. It very well may be that private elites may recognize the slight of your parents/grandparents and provide you assistance as someone who would otherwise be with them. But the bulk of AA should be directed at those skilled who but for lack of funds and the rolodex are lacking in opportunity to make something of themselves.

While I do not have the privileges of the wealthier, connected kids I went to school with (degrees from Top 5 universities), the purpose of AA was satisfied and the bulk of the gap was closed. The rest is up to me. If I did not close any wealth gap, then it is on me. I did not choose to make a ton of money, but my kids grew up comfortable and with far greater advantages than their peers.

AA has become a crutch for far too many. It annoyed me to no end on college to listen to rich people of color playing the victim card at every turn. They are frauds gaming the system. While I will always argue in favor of an AA that gives a leg up to those born without silver spoons, I am equally as passionate about ending AA for those that already have considerable privilege.

Finally, as to race, I think the primary target of AA should be class. Second, should be zip code. Third, should be parental education. Fourth should be parental employment. Fifth, should be family situation. Subsumed in these five is race. It does not need to be a separate category. In fact, I believe it should not be. A poor kid from a broken family whose parents never got behind middle school and never achieved professional success deserves that leg up regardless of race. In approaching AA in this manner, the stigma associated with AA and race will be lifted in a manner in which almost all will agree.

• AA has morphed into something contrary to its purpose. Return it to its original intent or get rid of it.

AA is now about social justice rather than equal opportunity. Achievement gaps are widening and the explosion of junk majors is widening the income gaps. Instead of increasing the numbers of physicists, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, statisticians, etc., AA is manufacturing entire race-based industries with their own brand of illogic and nonsense. Solution: bring it back to its original intent: giving opportunity to low income, high performing kids where modest achievement gaps are modest and explicable by the modesty of their family income. Get rid of the Chief Diversity Officers; Defund ethnic studies departments and let them be subsumed into other departments with funded Chairs for the best.

• We are near racial parity in a global work place. The time has come to end Affirmative Action.

I supported Affirmative Action for over 30 years. I think it has been a huge success. Times have changed we need to change the laws. The job market is near racial parity as jobs are being filled by all races and all nationalities as companies reach for employees globally. We no longer have a local job market, the market is global, which means in a global market whites are the minority. The US and it’s citizens need to be competitive in a global market and we need to be more competitive as individuals.
    We all know that there will be massive rioting and looting in the streets once the law is changed. We already have massive rioting and looting in the streets... It’s a great time to recend Affirmative Action.
    I do not like Trump, but on this I will support the GOP, the Democrats or Trump in removing Affirmative Action from the Law books.

• End Affirmative Action

This was started to end discrimination, yet all it has done is promote it. We cannot achieve equality by taking opportunities from one race to better another. There is no reason for minorities to be given opportunities over Caucasians simply because of the color of their skin. We shouldn't support any type of discrimination regardless of what group of people it may be against.

• Don't discriminate against the Irish.

My parents are from Ireland. My family just arrived in the USA, relatively speaking. Slavery ended a century before my parents arrived in the USA, so why do I need to score twice as high on a test for the same spot as a black or hispanic student? Same deal with Asians - they are not responsible for slavery any more than the Irish. Why do we get legally discriminated against? Funny thing is - colleges give AA to Africans and Haitians and Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, etc. If AA helped African- Americans, that would be one thing, but why do some immigrant groups who just got here only have to score half as high as say the Irish or Filipinos for the same spots? What does the USA owe to Haitians? Let them blame the French for their problems. Affirmative action, or shall we say legal discrimination aganst caucasians and Asians, is why I do not vote for democrats.

• Don't discriminate against the Irish.

• Affirmative Action creates hatred of blacks, affirming its own need in a vicious cycle.

My computer training company was getting excellent evaluations from students at the Pentagon for 2 years. I was told that an 8A minority set aside company would be taking over the contract. The black lady who ran it did not have course materials ready, so it took several more months. But that created anger in me towards Affirmative Action, and sadly for minorities and women owned businesses. It is legalized discrimination. A.A. Creates a never ending vicious cycle. Affirmative Action affirms the need for itself. If she won fair and square, then fine.

• To end prejudice We MUST End affirmative action !

Affirmative action is the single largest form discrimination in history .
    Imagine if there were laws on the book that read, you must fire, lay off or cause the early retirement of white women and persons who look or act or speak differently . It would be war.
    We must hire the most qualified person for the job or situation period . Not the person who is not a white male.
    No I'm not prejudice , I'm Canadian and believe in equality for all . Not just, Females or persons of visible minority groups...
    Equality for ALL persons .
    Good bless All persons who share this tiny world .
    Treat each other how we wish to be treated our selves.

• No more discrimination

The FitnessGram™ Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly, but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal. [beep] A single lap should be completed each time you hear this sound. [ding] Remember to run in a straight line, and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark, get ready, start.

• Do not forget the Past.

I am a Black female third generation college student. Many others like myself can not say this. My mother and grandmother both hold bachelors and masters degrees from prestigious universities. I currently attend the University of Maryland. When my grandmother wanted to come to this school in the 1940's the state of Maryland paid for her to attend college elsewhere rather than have her attend a white school. Why should I not get slightly more preference when applying to the very school my extremely qualified grandmother was denied because of her race? You all say that the past is the past. I am sorry but that is false. You say that whites should not suffer for their ancestors? Why should I as a Black student have to suffer for what your ancestors did to mine? Black people suffer every single day as a result of slavery and Jim Crow laws.I Could be a 7th generation graduate, but I can not because Blacks were not allowed to read let alone attend college that far back. Think about things like legacy scholarships at colleges. Black students can never get those because the people before us like myself were not even allowed to attend the college in the first place. Every day Whites reap the benefits of my ancestors free labor. Wealthy now because of slave money. How dare you suggest that this is "reverse racism". Affirmative Action is not about just letting any minority get into a school or have a job. It is about giving QUALIFIED applicants a chance that they will not have otherwise. After 400+ years of institutionalized racism against us do not tell me that I do not deserve a TINY bit of preference when I am equally qualified. So all I am asking for is affirmative action to help my people where Whites have nearly ruined us. I hope no one tries to take away the one advantage we have ever received in centuries in this country. "Be black, shine, aim high"-Leontyne Price

• No

There a too much as a risk to end affirmative action while there are still inequality in schools and jobs. We need to continue with Affirmative action as it gives opportunities to the people who weren’t able to get the best in learning. Affirmative action should go on as is until this problem changes.

• Not by A Long Shot

No, it is not time to end affirmative action. Society still struggles with bigotry and racism. We still struggle with inequality among races and genders. Until people are able to act responsibly and maturely by accepting one another as equals, and grant equal education, employment and pay to all regardless of race or gender, we will continue to need affirmative action.

• How many people have experienced discrimination

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people that have voted "yes" on this question are those who have not experienced discrimination. However, there's still enough in the news at this moment that illustrates the discrimination that exists in the workplace, communities, and schools. Just take a look at the Paula Deen legal claims, the questionable nature of why Trayvon Martin was pursued by Zimmerman, the youtube video of how a black male was treated differently than whites when it seemed they were all stealing a bike in a neighborhood. Do you think these biases don't transfer to hiring decisions and other areas that are influenced by the affirmative action laws? If you want affirmative action to go away, don't discriminate, and encourage others not to discriminate. When we, as a society, no longer stereotype people based on their color of their skin, gender, and other bases for discrimination, then it will be time to get rid of affirmative action laws. Not the other way around.

Posted by: JBUX
  • No

-Pamela Williams MGSC
    Fall 2012

• Expand Affirmative Action to Hebrew Jews

What is good for white males will be great for Hebrew Jews. Hebrew Jews are taking vastly more power and positions then their numbers justify. Why is Israel America's number one dead beat welfare queen, per capita in the world. We need to limit the number of Hebrew Jews when they are over represented, by quota. By the way, what is the "right" quota? When to we arrive in happy, happy equality land? How many women, blacks, Hebrew Jews, immigrants are TOO MANY? I want to know what the correct quota is so I know when we arrive. Can ANYONE tell me what the RIGHT quota is? Anyone?

• Affirmative Action Forever (Or Until Racism Ends)

Let's put it simply. Affirmative action is not a hand-up, boost, or extra bonus points for admission to a job or institute of higher learning. That framing of affirmative action is a lie.

Affirmative action is a check on a system of resource distribution. We live in a racist society that distributes resources in racist ways. Affirmative action is a policy that forces society to deal with that distribution.

• Unqualified Applicants Don't Deserve Preferance

URMs with lower stats should not be accepted just because they are a minority. Should a black with a $200,000+ income be accepted over an Askan with a $40,000 annual income? Of course not! The latter is at a greater disadvantage than the former. Therefore, preference should be given based on financial need (lack of opportunity) rather than racial background.

• No it needs to stay

Racism still exists today and though not many may be out and upfront about it, people still judge us based on the fact that we are black, and having a black president doesnt justify racism not existing. So many people have a hatred for others because they aren't like them in one way or another and im not saying blacks are excluded, because they arent't but take a look at this society and you'll see how messed up it is