• Its not about me but about my family

Why should I get left behind on advancing employment of which would help me support my family better. Because of a quota? I'm more qualified and someone else sweeps in and gets the position that is less fit for the position? This is exactly the same as racism. How can racism be fought with racism itself?

• We need to fix this.

People should be hired due to their merit not due to their ethnicity. It is only hurting Americans by using this horrid practice. Why must we futher divide our country and beat down the ones who worked years to be screwed by the system in place. Now is the time to act.

• We need to fix this.

• We need to fix this.

• We need to fix this.

• We need to fix this.

• No, I do not support Affirmative Action

Reason 1: It makes people dependent on their race to get government handouts and special privileges rather than working hard and achieving the American Dream
    Reason 1 Rhetorical Device (Rhetorical Questions): If the main point of Affirmative Action is to help minorities, why is the US government making them lazy and depending on race? In addition, another use of Affirmative Action is to break the color barrier. If that is the case, why are we making people dependent on their race to get jobs and get into colleges/universities?
    Reason 2: It is unfair to colored people because they are getting lower scores, but getting placed into classes/jobs that they cannot succeed in.
    Reason 2 Rhetorical Device (Logic): In the year 2015 an average score on the SAT for a white person was 1576 and for an Asian-American it was 1654 but, for people of African Descent, that number is 1277 and for Hispanic/Other, the average score is 1344. (SAT Score Source)
    Conclusion: We cannot keep setting up minorities to fail, we need to get them the extra help they need without giving them handouts and without letting them rely on their race to get special privileges

• End affirmative action!!!

In addition to having an outdated system, the people working within government offices are not qualified, they all have a very low level of intelligence, have become bureaucrats, their performance is never reviewed and would never be hired in any corporate company. 90% of government employees were hired based on Affirmative Action and have no previous job experience. THEY ALL NEED TO BE FIRED! Hire people with Corporate Experience! END AFFIRMATIVE ACTION!!!

• End this now

Affirmative action is basically lowering the bar for blacks and hispanics because they're too stupid. Everyone knows that. Just because these blacks and hispanics are too stupid to get into a college doesn't mean we should set the bar lower for those degenerates. There is an inequality for jobs not because the employers are racist, it's simply because blacks and hispanics are just genetically stupid. I mean like honestly, they look like homo erectus or homo ergaster or something like that. They are a burden on society and should be treated that way. We shouldn't be bolstering affirmative action. The sad thing is that blacks and hispanics are still stupid and STILL can't get into a college cause they are too lazy. They prob go into community colleges or some crap like that.

• End this now

• Do not forget the Past.

I am a Black female third generation college student. Many others like myself can not say this. My mother and grandmother both hold bachelors and masters degrees from prestigious universities. I currently attend the University of Maryland. When my grandmother wanted to come to this school in the 1940's the state of Maryland paid for her to attend college elsewhere rather than have her attend a white school. Why should I not get slightly more preference when applying to the very school my extremely qualified grandmother was denied because of her race? You all say that the past is the past. I am sorry but that is false. You say that whites should not suffer for their ancestors? Why should I as a Black student have to suffer for what your ancestors did to mine? Black people suffer every single day as a result of slavery and Jim Crow laws.I Could be a 7th generation graduate, but I can not because Blacks were not allowed to read let alone attend college that far back. Think about things like legacy scholarships at colleges. Black students can never get those because the people before us like myself were not even allowed to attend the college in the first place. Every day Whites reap the benefits of my ancestors free labor. Wealthy now because of slave money. How dare you suggest that this is "reverse racism". Affirmative Action is not about just letting any minority get into a school or have a job. It is about giving QUALIFIED applicants a chance that they will not have otherwise. After 400+ years of institutionalized racism against us do not tell me that I do not deserve a TINY bit of preference when I am equally qualified. So all I am asking for is affirmative action to help my people where Whites have nearly ruined us. I hope no one tries to take away the one advantage we have ever received in centuries in this country. "Be black, shine, aim high"-Leontyne Price

• No it needs to stay

Racism still exists today and though not many may be out and upfront about it, people still judge us based on the fact that we are black, and having a black president doesnt justify racism not existing. So many people have a hatred for others because they aren't like them in one way or another and im not saying blacks are excluded, because they arent't but take a look at this society and you'll see how messed up it is

• No

There a too much as a risk to end affirmative action while there are still inequality in schools and jobs. We need to continue with Affirmative action as it gives opportunities to the people who weren’t able to get the best in learning. Affirmative action should go on as is until this problem changes.

• Not by A Long Shot

No, it is not time to end affirmative action. Society still struggles with bigotry and racism. We still struggle with inequality among races and genders. Until people are able to act responsibly and maturely by accepting one another as equals, and grant equal education, employment and pay to all regardless of race or gender, we will continue to need affirmative action.

• Racism isn't over

Just because we have a black President doesn't mean that racism is officially over in America. Affirmative action is not the best way to level out disparity, of course, as so much of the problems with race are actually class problems that still exist. However, ending it will be a symbolic loss.

• How many people have experienced discrimination

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people that have voted "yes" on this question are those who have not experienced discrimination. However, there's still enough in the news at this moment that illustrates the discrimination that exists in the workplace, communities, and schools. Just take a look at the Paula Deen legal claims, the questionable nature of why Trayvon Martin was pursued by Zimmerman, the youtube video of how a black male was treated differently than whites when it seemed they were all stealing a bike in a neighborhood. Do you think these biases don't transfer to hiring decisions and other areas that are influenced by the affirmative action laws? If you want affirmative action to go away, don't discriminate, and encourage others not to discriminate. When we, as a society, no longer stereotype people based on their color of their skin, gender, and other bases for discrimination, then it will be time to get rid of affirmative action laws. Not the other way around.

Posted by: JBUX
  • No

-Pamela Williams MGSC
    Fall 2012

• Expand Affirmative Action to Hebrew Jews

What is good for white males will be great for Hebrew Jews. Hebrew Jews are taking vastly more power and positions then their numbers justify. Why is Israel America's number one dead beat welfare queen, per capita in the world. We need to limit the number of Hebrew Jews when they are over represented, by quota. By the way, what is the "right" quota? When to we arrive in happy, happy equality land? How many women, blacks, Hebrew Jews, immigrants are TOO MANY? I want to know what the correct quota is so I know when we arrive. Can ANYONE tell me what the RIGHT quota is? Anyone?

• No, but AA needs to be applied in a limited and morally consistent manner.

I am a "person of color" who grew up under very modest circumstances. I received some aid based on my background. However, my children are growing up with most of the advantages of the greater society. I do not want them to apply for special advantages. Instead, I used the leg up I received to educate them to be smarter and more mature than I was at their ages. They are. All three took AP Calculus as Freshman and had out of sight GPAs and transcripts.

Affirmative action should serve the poor and powerless first. If your parents and grandparents went to prestigious universities, then conventional AA should not apply to you. It very well may be that private elites may recognize the slight of your parents/grandparents and provide you assistance as someone who would otherwise be with them. But the bulk of AA should be directed at those skilled who but for lack of funds and the rolodex are lacking in opportunity to make something of themselves.

While I do not have the privileges of the wealthier, connected kids I went to school with (degrees from Top 5 universities), the purpose of AA was satisfied and the bulk of the gap was closed. The rest is up to me. If I did not close any wealth gap, then it is on me. I did not choose to make a ton of money, but my kids grew up comfortable and with far greater advantages than their peers.

AA has become a crutch for far too many. It annoyed me to no end on college to listen to rich people of color playing the victim card at every turn. They are frauds gaming the system. While I will always argue in favor of an AA that gives a leg up to those born without silver spoons, I am equally as passionate about ending AA for those that already have considerable privilege.

Finally, as to race, I think the primary target of AA should be class. Second, should be zip code. Third, should be parental education. Fourth should be parental employment. Fifth, should be family situation. Subsumed in these five is race. It does not need to be a separate category. In fact, I believe it should not be. A poor kid from a broken family whose parents never got behind middle school and never achieved professional success deserves that leg up regardless of race. In approaching AA in this manner, the stigma associated with AA and race will be lifted in a manner in which almost all will agree.

• Affirmative Action Forever (Or Until Racism Ends)

Let's put it simply. Affirmative action is not a hand-up, boost, or extra bonus points for admission to a job or institute of higher learning. That framing of affirmative action is a lie.

Affirmative action is a check on a system of resource distribution. We live in a racist society that distributes resources in racist ways. Affirmative action is a policy that forces society to deal with that distribution.