• Affirmative Action creates hatred of blacks, affirming its own need in a vicious cycle.

My computer training company was getting excellent evaluations from students at the Pentagon for 2 years. I was told that an 8A minority set aside company would be taking over the contract. The black lady who ran it did not have course materials ready, so it took several more months. But that created anger in me towards Affirmative Action, and sadly for minorities and women owned businesses. It is legalized discrimination. A.A. Creates a never ending vicious cycle. Affirmative Action affirms the need for itself. If she won fair and square, then fine.

• To end prejudice We MUST End affirmative action !

Affirmative action is the single largest form discrimination in history .
    Imagine if there were laws on the book that read, you must fire, lay off or cause the early retirement of white women and persons who look or act or speak differently . It would be war.
    We must hire the most qualified person for the job or situation period . Not the person who is not a white male.
    No I'm not prejudice , I'm Canadian and believe in equality for all . Not just, Females or persons of visible minority groups...
    Equality for ALL persons .
    Good bless All persons who share this tiny world .
    Treat each other how we wish to be treated our selves.

• No more discrimination

The FitnessGram™ Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly, but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal. [beep] A single lap should be completed each time you hear this sound. [ding] Remember to run in a straight line, and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark, get ready, start.

• AA Is Racist

The entire point of Affirmative action was to make men, women, whites, blacks, and everything in between equal. The best "PERSON" for the job should be the only determining factor, and not some racist quota that needs to be filled. If I'm on the top floor of a burning building and in need of rescuing, then I want the most qualified person to rescue me. That should not mean a female, that doesn't have the same physical requirements as a male, is the most qualified. I'm not getting any lighter so I don't see the logic in the double standard. If you can't do the job, you can't do the job! End of story.

• Affirmative Action is Reverse Racism

The entire point of Affirmative action was to make men, women, whites, blacks, and everything in between equal. Now, qualified whites aren't getting jobs they deserve because they want to make the jobs seem equal and hire an unqualified black, just because their black. I belive we should look at how qualified a person is, not the color of their skin or gender.

• Reduce Quota Targets

There are not enough qualified minorities to fulfill each colleges quota. As a result, each college is chasing to few qualified applicants and must accept lesser quality candidates which sets those candidates up for relative failure. Colleges should put the students needs first, not their quotas, and therefore base thier admissions to help minority applicants choose a school where they can excel based on their abilities. http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2015/08/a-dubious-expediency-how-race-preferential-admissions-policies-on-campus-hurt-minority-students

• Denied a job because I was white

A few years after graduating college with a degree in Computer Science, I applied for software engineering positions at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). At the time they were looking for developers to work on climate models. I repeatedly applied for positions that I met all stated requirements of. Over and over for 2 years I applied, without getting so much as a phone interview. A few years later I met an HR manager from NCAR and asked why I couldn't even get an interview despite meeting or exceeding all the stated requirements and having worked in the field for years. He informed me that he could not hire a Caucasian male unless he already met the required racial diversity requirements within the organization. He would keep positions opened for months if not a year until a qualified minority applied and the position was filled. This was particularly irritating since I had served our country as an Infantryman in the Army before college. Discrimination has no place in our society and reverse discrimination is no better than any other kind. Affirmative action and racial quotas are nothing more than organized discrimination. It is time for it to end. College and job applications should not include name or race identifications. Use a SSN or passport number so race and gender can not be considered. Succeed on your merits, not your race or sex.

• It's all whitey's fault

My momma is a crackhead and i dont know my daddy . I think he a dealer. I saw him at the sto' one day wit my mama, he wuz tryin to sling some dope to da chitlins. I dont need no learnin to be no hustla cept what i git from da streetz.

• It's all whitey's fault

• Afggdfgsdfg dfgd dfg

Asfgf dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfgdfg dfg dfg dfg dg dfg df gdfg dfg dfgd fg dgg dfgdfg dfgdgdgd gd gdfgdfgdfg dfgdf ddfg dfgdfgdfg dfgdfgdfgdfgdfg dfg dg dg df gdfgdfgdgdfgdfgdf g gf g g f f g g g g g g g g g g g

• Do not forget the Past.

I am a Black female third generation college student. Many others like myself can not say this. My mother and grandmother both hold bachelors and masters degrees from prestigious universities. I currently attend the University of Maryland. When my grandmother wanted to come to this school in the 1940's the state of Maryland paid for her to attend college elsewhere rather than have her attend a white school. Why should I not get slightly more preference when applying to the very school my extremely qualified grandmother was denied because of her race? You all say that the past is the past. I am sorry but that is false. You say that whites should not suffer for their ancestors? Why should I as a Black student have to suffer for what your ancestors did to mine? Black people suffer every single day as a result of slavery and Jim Crow laws.I Could be a 7th generation graduate, but I can not because Blacks were not allowed to read let alone attend college that far back. Think about things like legacy scholarships at colleges. Black students can never get those because the people before us like myself were not even allowed to attend the college in the first place. Every day Whites reap the benefits of my ancestors free labor. Wealthy now because of slave money. How dare you suggest that this is "reverse racism". Affirmative Action is not about just letting any minority get into a school or have a job. It is about giving QUALIFIED applicants a chance that they will not have otherwise. After 400+ years of institutionalized racism against us do not tell me that I do not deserve a TINY bit of preference when I am equally qualified. So all I am asking for is affirmative action to help my people where Whites have nearly ruined us. I hope no one tries to take away the one advantage we have ever received in centuries in this country. "Be black, shine, aim high"-Leontyne Price

• No

There a too much as a risk to end affirmative action while there are still inequality in schools and jobs. We need to continue with Affirmative action as it gives opportunities to the people who weren’t able to get the best in learning. Affirmative action should go on as is until this problem changes.

• Not by A Long Shot

No, it is not time to end affirmative action. Society still struggles with bigotry and racism. We still struggle with inequality among races and genders. Until people are able to act responsibly and maturely by accepting one another as equals, and grant equal education, employment and pay to all regardless of race or gender, we will continue to need affirmative action.

• How many people have experienced discrimination

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people that have voted "yes" on this question are those who have not experienced discrimination. However, there's still enough in the news at this moment that illustrates the discrimination that exists in the workplace, communities, and schools. Just take a look at the Paula Deen legal claims, the questionable nature of why Trayvon Martin was pursued by Zimmerman, the youtube video of how a black male was treated differently than whites when it seemed they were all stealing a bike in a neighborhood. Do you think these biases don't transfer to hiring decisions and other areas that are influenced by the affirmative action laws? If you want affirmative action to go away, don't discriminate, and encourage others not to discriminate. When we, as a society, no longer stereotype people based on their color of their skin, gender, and other bases for discrimination, then it will be time to get rid of affirmative action laws. Not the other way around.

Posted by: JBUX
  • No

-Pamela Williams MGSC
    Fall 2012

• Affirmative Action Forever (Or Until Racism Ends)

Let's put it simply. Affirmative action is not a hand-up, boost, or extra bonus points for admission to a job or institute of higher learning. That framing of affirmative action is a lie.

Affirmative action is a check on a system of resource distribution. We live in a racist society that distributes resources in racist ways. Affirmative action is a policy that forces society to deal with that distribution.

• Unqualified Applicants Don't Deserve Preferance

URMs with lower stats should not be accepted just because they are a minority. Should a black with a $200,000+ income be accepted over an Askan with a $40,000 annual income? Of course not! The latter is at a greater disadvantage than the former. Therefore, preference should be given based on financial need (lack of opportunity) rather than racial background.

• No it needs to stay

Racism still exists today and though not many may be out and upfront about it, people still judge us based on the fact that we are black, and having a black president doesnt justify racism not existing. So many people have a hatred for others because they aren't like them in one way or another and im not saying blacks are excluded, because they arent't but take a look at this society and you'll see how messed up it is

• Racism isn't over

Just because we have a black President doesn't mean that racism is officially over in America. Affirmative action is not the best way to level out disparity, of course, as so much of the problems with race are actually class problems that still exist. However, ending it will be a symbolic loss.