Is it true that the best education comes from experience not school?

• Done right, school IS experience.

I would not be where I am today if I didn't have the college experience I did. I say college EXPERIENCE, because that was what it truly was for me. I did learn many things in class and I was constantly challenged to think in new and different ways, but I also realize that the most important things I learned were learned through my experiences in my part-time job, my sorority, and my position on the student newspaper. You truly learn by DOING, not by sitting around and listening to someone else talk. When someone takes advantage of their education to the fullest extent, it becomes a well-rounded experience, not just school.

• It is true that the best education comes from experience.

It is true that the best education comes from experience. When people are allowed to actually try things out and to do them with their own hands, they understand things a whole lot more and therefore are more educated than they would be sitting at a desk in a class.

• As a student, aged 15, I agree.

Yes it is true. In school I've just been bullied, threatened, and spat on by other pupils. Just because I dress completely different. But hey, at least I'm not a sheep, and I'm my own person, who is NOT following the crowd.
    I learn by my experiences, for example, I know a certain section of first aid as my cousin has fits almost every day, my aunties child is diabetic and I give her the injections as she's too young to do it herself and her mum doesn't want to do it as she's scared of needles. And we DON'T do medical classes at school. I've also learned about law, not because of school - we have no law classes or anything. But because one day I wasn't a job which involves the law. In school they want you to look, act, think and do the same stuff, out of school you can be who you want to be and do everything you want to do without adults holding you back. In school we do nothing but learn about Shakespeare who is very boring and old fashioned and no one in my class cares about it, so they all mess around and sometimes even have fights. Yes, school is quiet pointless.

• Its not the actual schoolwork

School is in some aspects a miniature version of society. The whole experience of school will teach students very valuable life lessons. The importance of school lies not only in the things taught such as reading, writing and maths, but also in the social development of a person. Simply being a part of school, regardless of your grades, teaches one a lot and prepares the next generation to play a responsible role in society.

• Yes it is

Of course it is. Education is there for people who can not yet get a job. Pre-experience Education attempts to provide a student with as much knowledge and experience with a skill\trade or subject before they can get actually get it. If you can go directly to experience, you will learn about that skill\trade or job faster. BUT the mistakes made in learning can be dangerous.

Both have pros and cons, but both together is best. But yes, experience outweighs education by far.

• Experience is the active use of knowledge.

Sure, knowledge is important. It is definitely important to know to technicalities, facts, and basic understanding behind what you are doing. However, there is only so much you can learn from reading or being told. There is a reason doctors need to undergo a residency in order to learn how to put their knowledge to use. There is a reason that armed forces must be trained. This is called experience. I must incline myself to state that neither side is correct. It is the combination of knowledge and experience that give us the best education. However, to deny the necesity for experience would be wrong.

People will say that this is the ideal situation, but it is impractical in our current work system. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to change the system then. There is something wrong with trying to produce workers as quickly as possible, instead of as great as possible. In conclusion, it is nice to have an idea of what you're doing, but it is far more excellent to certainly know how to do it.

• Not as far as jobs are concerned.

Life experience is great but a Degree is pretty much a necessity if you want to get your foot in the door these days. Modern employers need skilled workers and the fastest and most cost effective way is college. Experience counts for a lot too, but education is more important as you need it to even be considered for most entry jobs.