• I also believe to an extent.....

I can only say from my experience that your appearance does make a difference depending on the person and the place. There are certain jobs for certain looks and it goes both ways. I have seen tattoo parlors that prefer tattoos and piercings as they can relate to the customers coming in to receive that kind of service as well. Dress to impress and to make your confidence match your appearance.

• It does help

I feel you should always want to be at your best most of the time, if not all the time. Your appearance is a part of that. People can sometimes see, "If he takes time on his or her appearance then, he or she just might take time on every task put before them". So that might make them want to take a chance on you and hire you.

• Response to challenging oppositions:

Those disagreeing have said 1) "Wearing expensive clothes doesn't make you rich." of course it doesn't, but it does mean you LIKE perhaps well made clothing, or highly value presentation, or ... Potentially validation. And so although it doesn't mean you're rich, it can suggest other factors of your personality. And so you still are what you wear.

• Yes it does matter

See it matters how you dress up a lot , when you go to a marriage or any function you wear ethnic and your body language changes with the traditional outfit and when going for an interview in formals your body language is something else totally different your mind set too .
    Folks you would have definitely seen dance performances , why do they wear their costumes and why not the normal skirts or a pair of jeans and a cardigan, because that is what makes a performance appealing also it gives the dancer the feeling of a dancer and there are as many different costumes for many different styles of dancing

• People are what they Wear

I believe that people are what you wear. The reason that I believe this is because when wearing certain clothes people act differently. For example, uniforms bring people together with others that wear the same uniform. Also, when relaxing people tend to wear more comfortable clothes. These examples show how people are what they wear.

• I agree to a certain extent

Clothes is a way of expressing ourselves, our feelings and our identities. It tells a story about the person who wears it. Clothes reveal which group are people in. It shows who you are, but it can also create stereotypes and rejection from another group of the society we live in

• It certainly can be true.

Yes, I think that it can be true that a person "is what they wear." People tend to wear what they are comfortable in and what suits them. For instance, I tend to wear jeans and a sweatshirt, and I think this says a lot about the fact that I'm laid-back. The same can be said about the personality of someone who dresses up more often.

• To an extent.

It is only true in the sense that your clothes can have an influence on your behavior. I wouldn't say that it changes your true character of whatnot, but it can influence your everyday actions. I have seen it when putting on my Army uniform as well as formal wear.

• If you put a shirt on a rock it is still a rock.

What you wear simply does not dictate some sort of level of advancement and/or bring you together. Places of work have come completely that JUST WORK!!!!! Rarely do you find workers who love to excel at their job because of who they may be helping or the service they are providing things have become more about quantity over quality in any way you wish to flip that. Clothing on work is nothing more than a cute outfit or a nice look, big execs and the powers that be already have their minds made up on most decisions to come especially when it comes to promoting fellow co-workers or hiring a new gal or guy to be on the team. Personally I have tons of education and the job market can care less especially since it is more about quantity over quality. So picture this you have Person A and Person B who both have graduated high school and earned 4-year degrees in the same major(lets just say the major is something in IT). Person A decides to pursue a job in the IT field and further advance their own academia and pursues Masters degree now on the other hand we have Person B who is fine with just the 4-year degree and decides to pursue a job in the IT field. Now both go apply to the same IT company and land an interview ,Person A is interviewed and it is seen by the company that Person A has a plethora of IT knowledge and is currently in her masters program acquiring more knowledge of the IT field. Person B is interviewed and has a Plethora of IT knowledge but decided not to further pursue more knowledge of the IT field. The company then meets and breaks down the candidates they all were dressed well some may have wore the entire three piece suit and very nice dresses(but who wears this on a daily) that they see as the candidate caring more and the others wore just regular ties and dress shirt or skirts with a nice blazer. The true determining factor comes down to budget and how much money is the company willing to invest in a worker who is young and may or may not stay . So most companies hire the worker who has done less in order to pay them less because someone with degrees , and even certifications is not considered because they would require more money to be paid to them because of their credentials. So it may seem like I was on a tangent but as someone who has seen first hand the hiring process and day to day work processes as a supervisor and once VP , they can give a crap about your clothing because these companies for the most part hire yes men, those who wont ask questions and under qualified workers so that they may keep the work volume high and the money low.

• I don't support that opinion of 'you are what you wear'.

I wear scrubs 90% of the time. Not only at work, but at home too. Why? Because they are comfortable. I dress in clothing that makes me feel comfortable. And if someone gets offended by comfortable clothing, that's their problem. You won't see me on any 'People Of Wallmart' pictures, but you won't see me as a fashion icon either.

• Is this true?

I understand that term isn't literal but just because I'm wearing a banana costume doesn't make me a banana? If I wear all black, does that make me a goth or do I just like the colour black? What you wear doesn't define you as a person, it's what makes you individual. Where in fabric and stitches did individuality get lost?

• No, but what you wear does send messages

Since people do judge people based on what they wear it's an important consideration but you're still not what you wear and you will not get a completely accurate understanding of a person based on their clothes. You should take the clothes to signify greater or reduced odds of traits, and then keep studying the person. Notice how conscious they seem of how their appearance might be taken. If not at all, their clothes mean less about who they are, if a great deal more about who they are OR what they are trying to portray themselves as.

• If I put a fur coat on poop, does it suddenly become something else?

What you wear doesn't really have a whole lot to do with who you are for the most part. If you're wearing nice clothes, it doesn't mean that you're rich, and it' doesn't mean that you're a good person. It just means that you are wearing nice clothes.

The clothes don't make the man, they just accentuate already existing features.

• Clothes do not change what is underneath.

While you can change the way the world looks at you when you change the clothes that you wear, there is still a person under that layer of clothing that doesn't change. You may wear the fanciest suit, but still be an uncultured person underneath that suit, or vice versa.