Is it true that you cannot serve God if you are pursuing riches on Earth?

• Matthew chapter 6, verse 24, one of the few verses of the Bible I like

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

Some think that becoming wealthy is God showing favor on them but once gotten cannot part with material things and excessive comforts. I believe to truly seek God one must give up everything but the bare essentials. Most people are not going to reach nirvana, or heaven, or whatever your religion calls spiritual salvation, as money and capitalistic greed has taken over their lives and seek money more than they seek God. Most cannot see this, that they are slaves to the pursuit of money

• You can seek riches for God

This argument assumes that all acquiring of riches is done for oneself, but if one acquires riches to serve God, then obviously that person can both serve God and pursue riches at the same time. However, this would not be true if the person is pursuing riches for their own self.

• This is kind of broad.

The "yes" answer I see uses a Christian verse to justify their viewpoint, but I believe in God and I don't think it's wrong to pursue happiness. Either way I don't think any God really put his/her children on this planet to just have them sit around and do nothing, I think he put us here to pursue happiness of some sort and that includes making money in today's society.

• Tell that to a Jew!

Have you ever heard of a Jewish monk or nun, living a simple life in a monastery or convent? No. That’s because Jews believe that true spirituality is involved in life, not a denial of life, and to enjoy life to the full you need money - and lot’s of it. Many Jews believe it was wrong to punish Bernie Madoff for his $50 billion ponzi scam because in making and spending a lot of money he was praising God.