Is it wrong for atheists to try and 'convert' theists?

• Yes, it is wrong for atheists to convert theists.

I strongly believe that it is wrong for atheists to try to convert theists. Atheism is a belief in an idea just as any of the major religions. One should respect the decision to believe in whatever the person wants to believe. I don't see why Atheists who try to convert others just don't go about their own business and keep their beliefs to themselves.

• Converting for the Wrong Reasons

Religion helps to show people "another way" and/or helps them to find peace. To have someone say that you can never be forgiven and will just rot in the ground when you die just blows me away. This isn't about the stories or the Gods. It's about how people change for the better, and therefore live better. It seems wrong, Nazi-like in fact, that someone would try to convince someone else that it doesn't matter what you do, because it will all end the same way.

• Yes, and it makes Atheist look bad!

I am a Atheist and my husband is one too, but he will not stop talking about it. I come from a very religious family and I think he actually preaches to me more that my family ever did. I find it very annoying and hypocritical of him. Instead of preaching start an Atheist group that helps out the homeless or rescues animals. The hypocrisy of some atheist really bugs me and I think sets a bad tone for what being and Atheist is. Please, can't we just be a bit more humble.

• Yes, it's obnoxious.

Just like it's wrong for people who are religious to try and convert the atheists, it's equally wrong for atheists to try and convert theists. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and no one should try and tell them that what they believe is wrong. It's rude, and not necessary.

• So very wrong.

As a Christian, I can honestly say I have never tried to convert a single person to my beliefs because I respect others' right to their own belief or lack thereof. But I cannot tell you the number of times an atheist 'friend' has tried to convert me or make me see ' reason'. It is extremely patronizing to me that a fellow uni student thinks they have some thrilling insight that I'd never considered, or been too stupid to see. It's called faith for a reason, I'm not stupid, and you will not convince me that it's wrong to believe.

• Yes

It is wrong for anybody to force their beliefs upon other people and try to make them accept a different viewpoint. Atheists often complain about religious people who preach and try to push their beliefs onto them, and it is no different when the situation is flipped around. Atheists who try to push their beliefs and look down upon the views of other people are just as much in the wrong as the people they often complain about.

• Atheists misinterpret religion

A lot of atheists moan about the fact that religion tries to force people into their beliefs. What these atheists should realise is that they are trying to force people into atheism, and they should respect what others believe in. Also, the common atheist interpretation on the relationship between science and religion is rubbish. The majority of religious people accept and believe the theories of science like the Big Bang and evolution, yet atheists continue to suggest that all religious people believe that the world was created in 7 days. These stories in the Bible are just stories, that are fictional yet have a message in them, exactly like the parables of Jesus. For example, the message of the story of creation is that God created the world, he made humans in his image and it's our duty to preserve the world he created. Atheists shouldn't use common misconceptions on religion to convert others, they should observe and respect religion, just like the majority of religious people observe and respect atheism. The tiny minority of religious people who completely reject science and fact need to catch up with society, and realise that the Bible was based on the society of that time. If the Bible was rewritten for today, most of the criticisms that atheists have on religion and the Bible, would not exist.

• Atheists Misunderstand Religion

Atheism is the belief that there is no God, much like religion is based on a belief that there is a God. People argue that religion slows down scientific development but this isn't true. Most religious people, including myself, believe in science and believe in the theories of the Big Bang and Evolution. Religion gives us an idea of why life has been given to us, which I believe is to try and be compassionate so as to prove that we deserve eternal life. Most atheists look into religion and think that all religious people believe all the things in the Bible, or another religious book. The stories in the Bible are literally just stories. The story of creation isn't true, it's simply a story that gives a message, exactly like the parables of Jesus. The message of the story of creation is that God was responsible for creation, he created us in his image and he wants us to look after the world. More importantly, most atheists see religion as a society that forces people to believe what they think is right, and atheists think this is wrong. These people are hypocrites as they are doing exactly what they think religion does. They are trying to force people into atheism. We all have the freedom to believe what they want, and a lot of atheists disrespect this. The percentage of atheists that force people into their beliefs is higher than the percentage of religious people that do this.

• To do that we would be hypocrites

One of the things atheists usually say to religious people is "Stop trying to convert me you crazy prick!" Or something like that. If they leave us alone then why the hell should we not leave them alone? Stop bothering them when they're not bothering you! If you don't want theists knocking on your door trying to "spread the good news", then stop trying to convert them and stop insulting them over the internet.

• 1. Not the door to door style, I already get too many Christians trying to convert me, only consensual conversion, not forced

For example, once a random stranger interjected in a conservation a friend and I were having and started to tell us how wrong we were etc. etc. etc. See the problem was we were having a conversation when a stranger suddenly thinks they have the right to just join in and assume we must be religious people ignorant of what atheism's arguments where. I know what it is, Jason knew what it was, and we both knew of the arguments, I mean you can't step foot on the internet without seeing them all at one moment or the other. So if Atheists are talking to people etc. willingly, yeah no prob, every one gets to do it, but not door to door crap, don't force your ideals on me or my friends if we didn't ask for it or don't want it. I don't care what religion or non religion you are, you don't just get to act like you know us and start preaching your view. I often find converts to religion and people who used to be religious are the most zealous, because they found a fancy new truth they want you to know.

• Atheist have stayed quiet for too long!

People who believe things without evidence, do not help advance science. Science is mankind's only hope of long term survival. If Atheists continue to stay quiet and tolerate the nonsense brought about by faith, mankind will be doomed. It is imperative for the survival of the human race that Atheists eradicate the ignorance of evolution and science.

• No. Furthermore atheists, agnostics, secularists, and all other non-religious people should actively fight to reduce the influence of religion and any other unjustified dogma.

Faith is belief without evidence and making decisions without evidence or reason is undeniably unwise. Reason and logic are the only valid basis for a society that consistently improves itself, maximizes happiness, and minimizes suffering.

Faith is never a valid justification of anything. If faith were a valid justification, then one could justify any claim no matter how ridiculous or damaging it is. Humanity would be more healthy if it could completely eliminate and immunize itself from the effects of religion, through debate and the spread of justified information, objectivity, and intellectual honesty.

Atheists who think we shouldn't spread atheism should be ashamed of themselves. Better logic and reasoning always improves the well being of any person or society. Reason is the essence of justification and judgement. Any system of beliefs based on random assumptions (i.E. Faith or religion) therefore cannot possibly be valid, because reason *is* fundamentally validity itself, by definition.

• If you're an "active" atheist, it's your duty and burden to PROVE it.

If you're converting someone, which is HIGHLY unlikely by one person's attempt, then state why you're "right" and they're "wrong". I'm a theist and nothing is healthier than a good debate with supportive arguments, and where it's my duty as a theist to both defend and evangelize my faith, it's equally the duty of an atheist to defend their beliefs.

To simply say it's wrong for atheists to 'convert' theists puts each side in their corner, never to meet in debate. You never can MAKE anyone believe what you believe - you make your own decisions.

We need the G.K. Chesterton's of the world as much as the Christopher Hitchens.

• Why can't we?

Hey, if the obnoxious Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons can do it, what makes them superior to us, so that we can't return the favour? If they can use some random book to try and make us believe we were all created by a god and he sent his son to die so he can forgive us, why can't we actually use reason?

• Don't be hypocritical.

Look at Mormonism, for example. Mormon people spend two whole years of their lives trying to convert others to their religion. Atheism is just a different form of belief, and so atheists will try to convert others to it, just like every other religion on Earth. If you have the ability to say no to Mormonism or say no to a Jehovah's Witness, then you have the ability to say no to an Atheist when they ask you to convert. Grow up and start looking at the world through the eyes of an adult. See that not everyone has the same opinion and that not everyone is going to agree.

• Nope, it is not.

Religious people constantly attempt to convert people from other religions. If it's wrong for Atheists to try to convert theists it's wrong for theists to try to convert people from different faiths/people with a lack of faith. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech, be it theists or atheists.

• Why should you be allowed to convert an atheist to theism?

As long as it is considered "right" for a theist to attempt to convert an atheist, an atheist should have just as much right to reciprocate practice of that right. Theists are not better than atheists and should not be allowed to impose their beliefs on atheists without reasonable reciprocation. If it were wrong of theists to attempt conversion, then atheists would have no right to attempt to convert; but this is not the case.