Is it wrong for employers and colleges to judge a person based on their social media activity?

• Employers and colleges need to keep their nose out of our personal business.

It used to be what you did in the privacy of your own home was your own business. Even things outside of your home were not subject to scrutiny by a potential employer unless they knew you. If you got drunk and did something stupid it didn't usually follow you the rest of your life. This is not the case anymore, and it has caught a lot of unknowing people off guard. Technology has made it possible, and now they can judge you on your whole life.

• Yes, social media activity should be private.

Employers and colleges should not judge a person based on their social media activity. This is private activity. Phone calls and other correspondence is general not subject to review unless their is possible criminal. Social media activity should have the same levels of scrutiny. The First Amendment is still in place in this country.

• It is wrong to look into social media

Although social media does portay parts of your life it only posts the more glamorous parts of your life. Before college you are in high school, and that is a hard place to fit in. So what if you do go to parties and happen to post a picture or someone else posts a picture. If you have good grades and scores than shouldn't that be weighed greater than your social media?

• It is wrong to look into social media

• It is wrong for employers to judge a person based on their social media activity.

While I believe it is acceptable for colleges and potential employers to look at an applicant social media activity, I do not believe they should pass judgement based on what they find. An applicant should always be judged on the quality of work they produce while on the job or during class and should not be judged for what they do when they are not working.

• Social Media can reveal how: one values privacy, how tactful or radical this person is, how much constraint does this person have on his language.

First, A potential employer can check how this person values his / her privacy. If this person keeps family photos to himself and friends, or has his mucentire photo portfolio set to public. It reveals a persons personality or tactfulness through their posts or status updates. It can reveal that this person openly curses enemies in his Facebook wall and has said posts set to public ( bunch of red flags for the employer ). A good workmate or potential employee understands the power and danger of social media while a careless one sets everything to public and has no self-control online. This also gives insight on one's tongue. If this person openly curses at people on social media ( you coax your fingers to type it in, don't say its an accident) he is much less a viable employee choice than one who knows what to keep private and one who knows how to keep his social media account organized. So, it is actually good for employers to judge people by their social media accounts as it gives them insight to another part of a persons personality spectrum.

Who would you prefer to hire, if they both have the same resume

1:

Has everything set to public even NSFW pictures and pictures of people who don't want their faces to be shown online to strangers ( friends, relatives ).

Talks about his problems with specific people ( tagging them even ) with comment mired with cursewords

Freely comments his own opinion on the posts of his friends or family

Prone to using racisct or homophobic slurs in his status updates.

2:

Keeps important photos or posts private

Never speaks about sensitive topics online

Never / Rarely swears in his social media posts

Most of his posts are unseen ( assuming you, the employer is not his friend on FB )

So who did you choose? The first? Second? Whichever, you have made a judgement based on their social media account and activities performed by them which is, according to your opinion, is "wrong".

• I don’t think it’s wrong for employers and colleges to judge a person based on their social media activity.

I don’t think it’s wrong for employers and colleges to judge
    a person based on their social media activity.
    You can actually tell a lot about a person from their online
    identity. A potential employer can avoid
    a lot of embarrassment by doing its due diligence and researching the history
    of its future employees.

• No it's not, It is a matter of personal responsibility.

Anything a competent HR staff can find via Google search is fair game (Hill, 2012, para 10).” It is a matter of personal responsibility to ensure that you are not posting inappropriate content. A company’s image is shaped by the conduct of it’s employee’s at work, at home and online. If one of the representatives of a company is hurting the organization, the management should be allowed to prevent it. 2012

The information posted online can cause unspeakable damage. A soldier may post a deployment details or a upcoming mission that could get his platoon killed if read by the wrong person. There is no taking back the information you put on the internet. It is childish to expect that we should not have to be held accountable for what we say. Being an American we are free to speak have freedom of religion, and the right to spend our money how we wish. Imagine that you get paid on the first of every month and spend your money by the 3rd. It is your business how you spend your money but you will have to live with the results until the next payday. This is much the same as the first amendment. You may speak however you wish but you will have to live with what you have said for the rest of your life. Social media can be a tool to secure employment if used properly. Kim Cardashian has a fan base of 7million followers. Having a Facebook or Twitter account offers its users a broader amount of influence in the world. Kim Cardashian has an excellent opportunity to advertise every time she clicks her mouse. It is unfair that a company should not be allowed to make decisions about employment on the basis of a employee’s Facebook content when employee is harming the organization. The user agreement on social networking sites reserve the right to redistribute your content to the online community unless you enable a security setting to limit such distribution.

If you do not want to broadcast a message don’t send it; there is no rule that says we have to use social networking sites. The contents of our networking should be self policed checked for accuracy before it is posted. Just like writing a collage paper you can get into trouble for posting inaccurate information or someone else’s information on Facebook. In fact intentionally slandering or discrediting someone especially dishonestly is illegal and you can get sued for it if caught. It boils down to the golden rule treat others the way you wish to be treated. I would not post information someone else unless I asked them first and I expect that they would not do that to me either. In the same way we should post abut a third party, to include our employer without asking permission first.

• No, it is not wrong for employers and colleges to judge a person on their social media activity.

Unfortunately, companies are gathering information from social networking sites about employees. There could be issues with employees using social media outlets inappropriately that could affect the reputation of the company. An employer should have rights to maintain its credibility which could be impacted by an employee's lack of good judgement of what they say and do online. But employers should not take it so far as to invade their employee's personal privacy. An online article quotes, “Job seekers applying to Maryland's Division of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall (McCullagh, 2012, para 2)." Once a message has been posted on a public forum it is no longer personal however. The messages posted on Facebook may not be intended for your manager but, if a message is intended for a specific audience it should be delivered to that audience and not a larger group. Maybe the message is intended for everyone except your manager in which case the content of your message is harmful to the organization you work for. Social networking is not correspondence. Correspondence by definition is sent to a recipient. If a community receives your message it becomes public knowledge and is fare game for any and all to look at including the employer. The employer is not violating the first amendment by looking at your Facebook page. You have the right to speak anything you want, that does not mean you won't be judged for what you say. It only means that the government will not take legal action against you for what you say. If I tell my next door neighbor that I wish his dog would die. It would ruin our relationship, no matter how free I am to speak my mind. I still have to live next to my neighbor and with the consequences of my statement. This is no different on a social media site. If I tell the online community that my company has the lowest safety standards in the industry I could do great damage to my company’s reputation. Potentially, my post could put my company out of business depending on who reads what I have written. Forbes.com quoted Christian Miller in saying, “Any candidate worth considering should be smart enough to set their privacy settings in order to hide all content from any potential employer."

• It Is Not Wrong At All

You can tell a lot about a person from their social media activity. If the information is online, then it is fair game for potential employers or colleges to use to evaluate you. Why would you put something online if you did not want people to see it? I have no problem with these tactics at all.