• A parasite, seriously?

Yes it's wrong and not morally, it's just plain incorrect. You can't compare the growth of an organism of your own DNA in your body to become its own individual to a "parasite". I'm not saying abortion is wrong or should be banned either, but a fetus is not a parasite. Get real.

• Absolutely

Not only do I feel it is wrong in the sense, it degrades an organism, but it is not scientifically accurate at all. A parasite is an organism of a SEPARATE species, fetuses are organism of the same species. Although in SOME animals, the fetus can have side effects, it is not only inadequate to the scale of an actual parasite, but there most fetuses of a species that are completely neutral. And living off an organism does not equal parasite, millions of organisms live off others all the time and would never be considered a parasite. And parasites can survive away from their host. Fetuses usually do not have this ability.

• Yes, it is wrong to call a fetus a parasite.

The ridding of a parasite is not a catastrophe. But what if the "parasite" is a fetus? If you kill something that is going to mature into a human being, you are, in essence, killing a human; you are preventing a human from existing. And as far as terminology goes, doesn't a baby require more attention outside the womb than inside, deeming it even more parasitic? Using this mindset, a newborn is even more of parasite, which really demonstrates how absurd this mindset really is.

• Yes, it seems wrong

When I hear the word parasite I think of sickness and germs, a fetus is neither. I don't think it is appropriate to speak that way about a fetus because it could possibly be a real life child being born in very short amount of time. I think it sounds so harsh and disrespectful to call a fetus a parasite when I am picturing a baby.

• What happened to common sense?

I see that 62% of people think it's not wrong to call a fetus a parasite. Common sense should tell you that a parasite is a different species than the host, an invader that doesn't share any DNA with the host. Also if something is a parasite it's always a parasite, it doesn't just stop being a parasite at some point, and I don't know about you but I'm not getting my nutrients from my mother's body.

• A parasite is "an organism living in or on and obtaining nourishment from another organism." (Mosby's Medical dictionary). A pregnancy falls under this definition.

The fetus obtains nutrients from the mother. Oftentimes, this is at the expense of the mother's own health (morning sickness, gestational diabetes, peripartum cardiomyopathy, joint issues, urinary incontinence, anemia, depression, toxemia, HELLP syndrome, acute fatty liver, etc.). I don't see why it is such a big deal to argue against this. By definition, a baby is a parasite.

• It all depends on how loosely you define parasite.

If you distill down what a parasite is to a few sentences it would be easy to see why some would call a fetus a parasite, but that would completely ignore several reasons why a fetus is not a parasite. While a parasite and a fetus may share some similar qualities there are several significant differences. First, host-parasite relationship is one of conflict, while the mother-baby relationship is intrinsically cooperative. Host and parasite are locked in an arms race: the parasite evolves ever more complex techniques of avoidance, while the host evolves ever more complex techniques of detection and attack.But a fascinating review paper in 2010 suggests this is the wrong way to think about pregnancy--that, in fact, the cooperative choreography between mother and child is far more sophisticated:
    The trophoblast [placenta] and the maternal immune system have evolved and established a cooperative status, helping each other for the success of the pregnancy. This cooperative work involves many tasks, some of which we are just starting to unveil.

• Parasitic relationship, but not a parasite

In it's simplest form, the relationship between the fetus and the mother is a parasitic one. The fetus is a separate life form who is using the nutrients of the mother to grow and sustain itself. The problem I have is calling a fetus a "parasite". A fetus has not invaded the mother and taken up residence against the "will" of the body. There are very well organized structures designed to provide the fetus with the necessary nutrients, hormones, etc. they need. From an evolutionary perspective, a fetus is of great advantage to mother as it allows her to continue her family line. Some definitions for parasite also specify that a parasite must be of a different species, which obviously isn't the case in pregnancy.

• Science indicates the fetus is not a parasite

I see plenty of angry emotion in the pro-parasite crowd, while decrying the emotion on the other side. But what their view reveals is the same type of dehumanizing and even demonizing verbal construct the powerful have always used when they want to justify the murder of another group of human beings. One of the better articles on this :

• A fetus is a parasitic organism on a woman's body. Http://www.Dailykos.Com/story/2012/04/15/1082439/-The-fetus-is-a-parasite

While not a true parasite, a fetus is 100% parasitic on the mother's body. It is introduced via conception from outside the woman's body, it then proceeds to grow faster than any cancer by feeding off the women's blood, to the host's detriment. This is a totally parasitic relationship.

• This is not a matter of feelings

The definition of a fetus is a being that lives inside of a house and obtains nutrients from said host. Technically speaking a fetus applies for that definition. I don't understand why people are getting so angry about this. The fetus cannot feel any emotion as far as I know and cannot get offended so what difference does it make. Saying that the fetus is a product of God, [which is not a proven fact] does not disqualify the characteristics of a parasite.

• Why should our "FEELINGS" take precedence over scientific facts?

The human fetus is a parasite, by definition: " An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host. "

I have a "FEELING" that the human fetus doesn't have the ability to care about it being called a parasite, so why do we?

• Look at the definition.

"An organism which lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense."

Yep, that's a fetus. Lives in another organism and befits by taking nutrients. It doesn't give anything back. So, yep, a fetus is a parasite. I don't see why everybody is so uptight.

• I say definitely not

The baby feeds off of the mother, makes it harder for her to successfully manage her own life without assistance, and causes a great deal of pain in being removed. Anyone who thinks that this is a symbiotic or mutual gain relationship needs to check their facts. They couldn't exist without their host so they can't be considered an independent being either.

• Do you pro-lifers know what SCIENCE is?

Science is an objective way of observing and testing out theories and hypotheses to see what is true fact or a flat lie, it has nothing to with anyone's FEELINGS or humanity would still be stuck in the dark ages.

SO how does calling an non-sentient embryo a parasite is a moral wrong, when science already proved it is parasite?

Just Google: Development of selective immune tolerance towards the allogeneic fetus during pregnancy: Role of tryptophan catabolites (Review).

Extinguishing maternal immune responses during pregnancy: implications for immunosuppression.

"The placenta functions as an immunological barrier between the mother and the fetus, creating an immunologically privileged site. For this purpose, it uses several mechanisms:

It secretes Neurokinin B containing phosphocholine molecules. This is the same mechanism used by parasitic nematodes to avoid detection by the immune system of their host.[2]"

• I've never thought about this

I've never thought about this, but now that I see the question, I think a fetus is a parasite. It lives in the mother and takes things from the mother to live. I think everyone generally associates parasites with being bad. However, I think a fetus could be considered a form of a wanted parasite.

• A fetus is a parasite.

Google the definition of parasite: an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense. It doesn't matter whether it's they're different species or not. I feel a lot of people saying Yes it is wrong to call a fetus a parasite are doing so because it "feels wrong to call a fetus a parasite", but science doesn't care about how you feel. It's just a term that describes the relation between the mother and fetus.

• Science already proved fetus is a parasite.

So stop going against science to keep your pro-life opinions alive, you people are on a losing side and history will prove it.

The human fetus is a non-sentient being, anyways.

• It's the correct scientific term.

A parasite, according to terms, is something that lives off, or as part of, another living creature and using that to live themselves, without giving anything back at all. That is exactly what a fetus does until it is removed or given birth to.

So, in scientific context, that is in fact a correct term to use for a fetus. So it's not wrong.

• Not a bit

They aren't able to exist on their own until after birth so in fact they are a parasite attached inside the host. It's the same as a heart worm which can grow in many areas of a body and migrate to the heart effectively killing the host. Well a human parasite migrates out into the world and becomes a baby.