Is Led Zeppelin the best rock 'n' roll band of all time?

• Of course they are

Led zeppelin 1 was recorded 9 days after the one month anniversary of the bands lineup. That is very impressive. Jimmy page, he is a legend. Robert Plants ability to sing soft, loud, smooth, bluesy, and wail is outstanding. John Paul Jones was not only the bassist for led zeppelin. He played keyboards, cellos, and not to mention the famous recorder part on the greatest rock song in the world, stairway to heaven.

• Led Zeppelin is faaaaar superior to the Beetles.

Zep created ROCK music, period. They were each masters of their respective instruments/voice. Nobody can come close, as every band after them has only dreamed of being nearly as good. Page is a guitar virtuoso, Plant's voice is second to none, Jones' range of musical talents was operatic, and nobody can top Bonzo's drum pounding.

• Hard to tell, but kind of close.....

The Beatles are in a different category and Pink Floyd is well.... Pink Floyd... Beside these 3 bands, the rest is the second tier.... Even though I love The Velvet Underground, Traffic, Blind Faith, Cream, The Stones, all the way to the Foo Fighters, it is clear that Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Beatles rule... No matter what Rolling Stone says.. And remember that they kind of banned Led Zeppelin for about 6 years. The first Rolling Stone cover with Led Zeppelin was in the mid-70s

• You can't argue this guys, it's obvious.

People who don't like zeppelin never really looked deep into physical graffiti or three, and they only dislike them because they cant understand music, what the purpose of it is and just what it is. If you like other bands more that's alright, but you cannot honestly say one band is technically, innovatively, influentially, better than the other based off of opinion.

• There is no one else that could possibly be better

If you don't like Led Zeppelin than you need to get a life. Everybody knows they are the greatest band there really is no question about it. All I can say is that somebody needs to change the radio station of this pop crap and put on some refreshing Led Zeppelin.

• Never been remotely equaled.

Led Zeppelin had no fawning media like the Stones and Beatles. They became the greatest rock band in the world strictly based on their live performances and studio albums. After all is said and done the music is the bottom line and Ze sounds this fresh and powerful as ever

• Yes unbelievable instrumentalist

Ive been a music aficionado my whole life, ive never heard a band with as much instrumental talent as Zeppelin. Also , ive never heard a band stretch the limits as much as Zeppelin. Along with daring creativity, such a wide range of musical genres all put in one package, they had no limits.This band was not looking for approval from critics or piers. They simply did what turned them on, and in turn , turned us on.

• Influence, Chemistry, Talent, Timing, and Variety.

I'm writing this with the wishful thought that you, the reader, do not already have a preconceived and unwavering opinion of which rock band is the greatest of all time. I also truly hope you're familiar with not only Zeppelin but all the great bands during the golden age of rock.
    This isn't an easy decision by any standard. I love The Beatles, I love The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, AC/DC, Queen, Rush, Hendrix and many more. But, when there is a band with each member lingering in the realm of the Top 5 on every list regarding their specific instrument (or vocals) and they have just the right chemistry, with just the right timing. Well, in the case of the late 60's, you get Led Zeppelin. While a good portion of my favorite music originated in pre-Zeppelin times, the transition from and to is prominent. Often credited as the fathers of heavy rock, it should be noted that Zeppelin encompassed so much more than "rock" throughout their time. They also mastered elements of blues, jazz, soul, funk, and reggae. From 'Kashmir' to 'The Rain Song' and from 'Whole Lotta Love' to 'D'yer Mak'er', they could do it all. Not to mention their catalog is an absolute embarrassment of riches.
    So, I'll cut to the chase. The chemistry was sensational, the timing was impeccable, the talent was off the chart and the influence they've had on rock n' roll, I have no other choice but to deem Led Zeppelin as the greatest rock band of all time. Forgive me Beatles, I still love you dearly and you would be my #2, no hard feelings.

Thank you for reading

• No other band has achieved their level of musical sophistication as well as having a catalogue as unique and accomplished.

Sure in the decades following Zeppelin their have been metal bands who have surpassed them techniquely. Even some of their prog-rock contemporaries may have been techniquely more complex as musicians but quite simply other bands don't reach Zeppelin on their level of musicality. What I mean to say is that Zeppelin were better song writers and that is why their songs remain timeless. If you play an album by Yes for example, it is brilliant but unquestionably falls short as individual songs. If you play a later era album by The Beatles you could argue the songs are as good if not better than Zeppelins but they fall short musically and in a sense, as uncompromising artistic statements. Too often Zeppelin are compared to black sabbath and pink Floyd. Though these bands are also timeless they lack certain aspects of career fulfillment. Sabbath's late 70s work pales miserably in comparison to its early achievements. Sabbath also lacks the diversity of Zeppelin. Pink Floyd may have released musical masterpieces like the Wall and Dark side of the moon but certainly we're not as prolific as Zeppelin. In my opinion, dark side of the moon, wish you were here and the wall are pink Floyd's finest works. Animals is also incredible but is more likely to be appreciated by a true fan rather than the general public, similar to Zeppelins Presence. Taking this into consideration, Pink Floyd has either 3 or 4 defining albums. Zeppelin has 6 pretty much undeniable classic albums, that's excluding their last two. In the years to follow no other group has released 6 albums of that caliber in their career. Even artists as great as Hendrix can't make that claim, despite how profound their influence. Even 90s greats like Nirvana, Soundgarden and rage against the machine can't reach Zeppelins level of artististic fullfilment.

• Because its Led Zeppelin!!

It's Led Zeppelin!!! They have made so many bands go to shame because their music was so inspirational!!!! They took the idea of rock music and blues to a whole new level that no one dared explore. I think the best part is no matter what anyone said about them or despite their "on the road" life, in the end, it was about the music and that's how it should always be. They didn't care about the money it was all about the music. Jimmy Page with his face melting guitar solos, Robert Plant with his bluesy dark vocals, Jonsey with his bad-ass bass lines, and Bonham who was a drummer of steel. Led Zeppelin is like the Iron Man of rock music!!!!!! :D :D This is actually a debate?!?!?!

• The Leading guitarist was excellent and carried the band. Robert Plant was not a really great singer.

It's my belief that Freddie Mercury was an out of this world excellent singer with a musical range that was not used fully. The songs and lyrics were unique and catchy. The Lead guitarist though played standard rock'n roll was not outstanding among the greats like Jimi Hendriks, Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton etc.

• Led Zeppelin could never overcome bands like: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Who...

First of all, because the creativity... Zepp was essentially a covers band. They exploded, literally, the delta blues of the old afro americans, even without recognizing their credits. Second, Zepp's original songs, even though the excellent music, used to have very stupid lyrics. No one can deny that the band was formed by extraordinaries musicians but this fact isn't enough to declare this band as "the best rock 'n roll band ever". There are a lot of bands and artists who deserve this nomination: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, for instance... Iove Led Zeppelin but there are betters, undoubtedly.

• The who is... The who raised the bar. First man to ever smash their instruments on stage. First band to ever write a rock opera.

The who are the bar. There's nothing more you can do that they have not already done. How can you take legs up and has the best when all they did was remake old blues songs and sing I out lord of the rings and dungeons and dragons . Really what did Zepplin do that is so different

• They're legendary but not the greatest

I like Led Zeppelin, I really do but you gotta ask, how did they really change the game? I mean The Beatles really changed the way we look at music with songs that weren't meant to be popular such as Helter Skelter yet still are huge parts of rock history. KISS, Rush and Queen changed the way we look at concerts. Led Zeppelin is definitely a top 5 but I wouldn't call them the greatest of all time.

• They are confirmed musical thief

They are the greatest musical thief getting credits for songs they just copied and act ted like they are the real author of the songs, how many times others are claiming ownership of the songs they are pretending to have written by themselves? Is that what you call the best?

• No they're not.

It's kind of like asking who's the king of rock. Everybody knows it's elvis, like him or not. The question about best band was answered back in the 60s when the beatles came out & spawned millions of other bands in their wake. No other band has had the level of success, influence & musical growth than the beatles.

• The Closest Second

The Beatles did much more in less time. Led Zeppelin had a full decade to create their 9 great studio albums, but The Beatles had more material over 13 studio albums (Britain album count) written all in 8 years. Yes, Led Zeppelin has iconic songs and members, but The Beatles had more influence with their intellects, intelligence, performing ability, and songwriting skills. The Beatles probably inspired Led Zeppelin to become a band. I might even put forth this argument: The Beatles' acoustic songs like Norwegian Wood, Blackbird and Here Comes The Sun have certainly inspired Led Zeppelin folk songs from Ramble On, The Rain Song and Going To California. Although 1/4th of Zeppelin's catalogue is acoustic work, The Beatles covered much more genres in their work from art rock Sgt. Pepper, folk-inspired Rubber Soul, psychedelic Revolver, poppy Help!, bluesy Abbey Road, soft rock Let It Be and the assemblage of a plethora of genres in The White Album. Not taking anything away from the magnificent Led Zeppelin, but they are second on my personal list of greatest groups of all time, behind only the quintessential Beatles.

• Why??? Pink floyd is the best. Toss up between them and the beatles.

I love zepp but more innovative,revolutionary than the beatles or the floyd,,,,,,no way. Great to have on at parties, great to rock on to,but original no!!!!Just hardened blues and folk. Even deep purple brought more originality to the table. And they didn't knock of other people songs(yes i know bands take a little ,but not whole songs). I still think the zepp is great though just not the greatest.

• This band makes JOCK ROCK

Awful sounding guitar bridges, boring, oh so boring. Hit your head on a table boring. Not to mention that whiny voice. I do not understand why this band has won all the respect it has. Maybe cause the band t-shirts look cool? Or because they were told this is good music? Or because they wanted to be a musician and were told this is the music musicians respect? Never liked them, never will.

• Led Zeppelin were half of a great band.

As everyone seems to say, Led Zeppelin had one of the greatest-ever rhythm sections in all of rock music. Bonham and Jones were incredible not only in how good they sounded, but also in how they were, as players, capable of getting out of the way and providing an underlying propulsion for Plant and Page to work on. But Plant and Page are the problem; the prior is, let's face it, not a very good singer, and the latter, while a very very good guitar player, sacrificed in his songwriting actual depth for pretentious myth-making. So what Led Zeppelin end up being is a great drummer and bassist adding propulsion to shallow, nerdy (not in the thoughtful way, but in the I-can-trace-the -genealogies-of-every-LotR-character kind of way, which can be fun, but is ultimately really really stupid) totems signifying nothing other than how much Led Zeppelin rock. Art should have higher standards.