If we shame people and force them to hide parts of their lives we cannot bring societal resources to bear on the health problems faced by the individual. Given that many health problems are transmittable by infection, we should all be concerned about the health of everyone in our society if we want to improve general health.
Yes, LGBTQ equality is good for our health - that is, our health as human beings and our willingness to accept every person as they are. This is very important. If everyone is able to do this, and maybe one day they will, the world will be a much brighter and more healthy place.
1. Homosexually is characterized by promiscuity. Before the AIDS epidemic, a 1978 study found that 75% of gay, white males claimed to have had over 100 liftetime male sex partners. 15% claiming 100-249 sex partners, 17% 250-499 sex partners, 15% 500-999 sex partners, and 28% claimed to have had more than 1,000 sex partners! Though these levels declined, they are again rising to similar levels. This medically raises the concern over increase spread of HIV/Aids, syphilis, and other STIs.
In Australia, a study showed that 93% of lesbians have had sex with men and that lesbians were 4.5 times more likely to have had 50 lifetime male sex partners than straight females.
2. Harm to physical health: Common sex acts of gay men lead to multiple STIs and injuries, of which some are almost unknown among heterosexuals. Lesbians are at a greater risk to contract STIs. Lesbians were found by an Australian STD clinic’s study to be 3 to 4 times more likely than straight women to have sex with men that are at high risk for HIV.
3. Problems with mental health: A Dutch study of homosexual man found that: “Compared to controls who had no homosexual experience in the 12 months prior to the interview, males who had any homosexual contact within that time period were much more likely to experience major depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder, agoraphobia and obsessive compulsive disorder. Females with any homosexual contact within the previous 12 months were more often diagnosed with major depression, social phobia or alcohol dependence. In fact, those with a history of homosexual contact had higher rates of nearly all psychiatric pathologies measured in the study.78 The researchers found "that homosexuality is not only associated with mental health problems during adolescence and early adulthood, as has been suggested, but also in later life."79
4. Shortened Lifespan: The only epidemiological study to date on the life span of gay men concluded that gay and bisexual men lose up to 20 years of life expectancy.
5. Reduced Levels of Monogamy: Monogamy means longer –term sexual commitment. One study showed that 66% of gay men had sex outside the relationship within the first year while 90% of gay men in a five year relationship had sex outside the relationship.
Just because someone has inclinations at one time we label them “gay” and say that they can’t change. There is also a difference between same-sex attraction and engaging in sex with the same sex. Then anyone that disagrees with homosexuality being healthy is labeled a “homophobe” or someone that spout’s hate. White they are some who are these, we should be able to put forth views in a respectable manner without being insulted unjustly.
I don't think that equality in general is good for our health. Maybe I am taking the question a bit too literally, but when I hear about health I think about how healthy someone is doing. Equality for this group of people is certainly a moral thing to do though.
Even if there was some kind of connection between homosexuality and health, there isn't in fact many report higher rates of depression, lack of self satisifaction, and disease, this simply is a non-sequitur, Any of the opinions on the Pro side fundementally assume homosexuality is good or else they wouldn't adequately justify the proposition and the debate is not decided yet.