Is life without parole an unfair sentence for a juvenile offender?

• First hand truth.

I am 19 now, and has been fighting court since I was 18 all that occurred when I was 16, instead of being slapped on the wrist I was beaten like a abused dog. They gave me 10 years probation and 6 months with a bracelet for a crime I committed when I was a child. I've never smoked, drank, done any drugs. This was my first time defense. Is it fair to put innocent people into these positions, ruining there lives? You tell me..

• Yes, except in extreme cases

Unless the crime was especially heinous, life without parole is a cruel and unusual sentence to hand out to a juvenile. Juveniles have underdeveloped brains and cant always be aware of the effects of their actions. While this doesn't completely excuse their actions, they should be given an opportunity to redeem themselves and get out of prison at some point.

• It is ridiculous

Kids are kids, they are not adults. They have not yet fully developed in the areas of moral reasoning and impulse control, you can't condemn them as not be able to be rehabilitated when those parts of their brains have not even developed yet.

A life sentence is much harsher for a juvenile as they have done so little living already and have so much more life left.

• Yes life without parole is unfair for youth.

Juvenile offenders should not be given life without parole as a sentence, it is unfair to them. People change all the time, especially as youth. As teens become older and turn into adults they mature, are far more educated, and understand what is right and what is wrong. That's why juveniles should not be sentenced to life without parole.

• Yes a sentence of life without parole is fundamentally unfair for a juvenile offender.

The United States' Supreme Court has ruled that sentences of life without parole are "cruel and unusual punishment" when applied to juvenile offenders. So if the sentence is "cruel and unusual punishment" it also has to be fundamentally unfair as well. Juveniles are deserving of the chance to show that they can be productive members of soceity.

• They would be denied any chance of rehabilitation.

People can change a lot between their teenage years and their mid-twenties or older. If you sentence a juvenile to life without parole, you deny the parole board the ability to take into account that the offender might be a different person when older, and possibly release them if they have changed substantially.

• No, life without parole is not an unfair sentence for juveniles.

A crime is a crime. Mature or not, they know that what they are doing is wrong. They obviously have something wrong with them to commit a crime in the first place, so they should be shown no special treatment just because they are underage. They need to learn that every action has a consequence, and they need to face that sooner or late. Second chances should not be given for youth offenders. They need to be treated the same as every other criminal in society.

I think that if a crime warrants it, a juvenile defender should not be immune to the possibility of getting a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. I think that some people have enough maturity to know exactly that the crimes they are committing are wrong.