Is Lionel Messi really better than Cristiano Ronaldo (yes) or is it that Ronaldo's attitude is the cause of his failure (no)?

Asked by: Neelabh
  • CR7 s attitude is good but u can't say that messi can't score without xavi, iniesta .........

Then how did he score in world cup 2014 he scored 4 goals 2 assists ........ Xavi and iniesta was playing for spain ...... Messi is not depending on xavi or iniesta ........ I know ronaldo is 2nd highest goal scorer in WC but what did he do in 2014 WC .If he is good he has to score in WC so its true that messi is better ....... He broudht argentina to the finals of WC 2014 ........

• He is better then Ronaldo

"Purely technical" as Cruyff described Messi, while Ronaldo is more of a player of strength, who needs the team to play good around him,set up for him otherwise he can't score. Messi is way better than Ronaldo. I cant see him as a good team player, and his goals are set up by others,so he just almost needs only a touch to score. On the other side Messi is brilliant with ball and exciting to see every one of his touch.

• He is better then Ronaldo

• Speak for yourself

The failure in world cup was due to an injury theres no 2 ways qbout it. In the last season Messi too had a poor run in between but you blame that to the injuries dont you? But thats not the point.As pointed out Ronaldo is the complete player as in strength, headers and all that and yes he does seem to play a little too selfishly but he wants to score goals! Why shouldnt he? And when there is the need for the team to score he sure plays like a team player.As for his goal stats I believe if ronaldo had joined in as earlyas messi he too would have made a record.I mean messi is a truly great player too but only his weaknesses of strength and all that holds him back.In a 1 on 1 I bet the strength of Ronaldo will be the only thing that makes him win..

• Messi is by far better Ronaldo is the most crappest player I've ever seen

Messi has won the Ballon 'Dor in 4 Consecutive ecations while ronaldo only twice. Secondly. Messi has scored more goals than anyone in one year with a record of 91 goals and Ronaldo is no where near that and when ronaldo plays he over exaggerates when his tackled. Personally a professional soccer player does not need the skills that ronaldo have cause most of them don't work messi'a dribbling skills is much more simple but much more effective and in the 2014 World Cup Messi and the albiceleste have reached to the finals after 24 long years and almost got his and the albiceleste'so hand on the World Cup and while ronaldo and Portugal got eliminated in the first round which is humiliating and pathetic and for Those who say he had and injury that just another excuse just to defend yourself so finally Messi is by far better than ronaldo and the best in the world in the past last six years and still is today. JUST ADMIT IT messi is better

• Yes he is

Yes I think that he is the better soccer player because he seems to be more of a disciplined player than Ronaldo and because of that he seems to be more composed out their on the field which is the way their supposed to be. In order to be effective one must be patient.

• You've answered your own question.

Being a world-class professional football player is not just about raw skill and ability. Mentality and attitude are massively influential in a player's ability to go out onto a football pitch and play well. Being "good" at football isn't just about having ability; how you apply that ability and make the most of it is also a key factor to consider. Ronaldo, whilst fantastically talented, often possesses an air of arrogance about him that, in my opinion, does sometimes affect his ability to make an impact during a game.

In terms of skill, I would say that Ronaldo is probably a more complete (not necessarily better) player than Messi. When I say complete, I mean he is better-rounded; for instance, he is stronger than Messi, has better shooting ability, is better in the air, and can cross the ball better (all of this being, of course, my opinion). However, Messi is far more of a team player, in that he links up with his teammates more effectively, and probably has the best ball control in the world at this moment in time.

In rebuttal to another answer's issue with Messi have played in only one country, whilst this may be true, it doesn't mean that Messi is unproven as far as playing against foreign teams and tactics is concerned. Messi has scored 59 goals in 79 Champions League appearances over the course of his career (an average of 0.75 goals per game). Ronaldo, on the other hand, has scored 51 goals in 98 Champions League appearances (an average of 0.52 goals per game). Now, I'm not trying to compare the two players in this instance, but I am simply refuting the notion that Messi is unproven against teams from leagues outside of Spain.

In conclusion, I believe that a good player is not purely about the level of skill or potential attributed to a player, but also the way in which they apply their skills, as well as their ability to win football matches for their team. Messi, in my opinion, does this better than Ronaldo. I believe you answered your own question, as you seemingly highlight in the question Ronaldo’s “failure”, suggesting that you accept that Messi has been more successful than his rival.

• Neck on Neck, but I Think Messi has the Lead!

Ronaldo may be a better striker, but Messi is a better all around player. Messi will move and give balls to other team mates much more willingly than Ronaldo because Messi just wants to win the game. Don't get me wrong Ronaldo is a phenomenal player! But I just believe that Messi is more of a team player. So my vote goes to Messi

Ronaldo Strengths
    Ronaldo is a very tall and stout man so potentially he could shoot further away and just plow through opposing defenders. Ronaldo also has very good shots and he has pretty good dribbling skills.

Messi Strengths
    Messi is a smaller guy, but he is very fast! Messi has amazing dribbling skills, great touch, he makes good runs, great finisher, and he will get greedy with the ball in the box, but he will also pass it when he needs to. Since Messi is smaller he has a little advantage because he can slip through people and get to spaces with no problem.

• Messi is the best

Mesi is the best in th world... He is doing hard work .. He is magician.. And he broken al the record nd won 4 ballon do,r while ronaldo just won 3.. And messi has given goals penalties to neymar and assisting his goals while ronaldo did. Not because he want that only he will score .. Ronaldo play for him.. While messi play for the team .. And win 5 trophies in this year and scores 2 goals against bayern munchen and 1 assists .. That,s why he is best than cr7..!

• His dribbling skills

(1) it does not matter how many defenders you are
    (2) check most of his matches he has complete dribbling
    (3) he dont just fall like christiano whenever he has a ball or when he get head on with his rival or defender
    (4) he even started to beat his rival long time his titles they mean a lot to his career
    (4) he is younger than his

• Ronaldo is better

He is much more complete than Messi. Messi struggles without iniesta and xavi. 1.. This is the most obvious one I think and that is, Ronaldo can hit the ball equally well with both feet while Messi SURE can’t. That gives Ronaldo more mobility on the wing and can trick opponents with the use of either feet for dribbling. The plus point Messi has is that, he is so good with his left foot that he hardly requires the use of his right foot in any situation, but still, when we talk about the best, two footed ability is certainly a thing Ronaldo can rely upon to out shine Messi because there will always be situations where Messi would have to cut back on the ball while Ronaldo would just use his left foot to shoot or pass. A lethal weapon to wrong foot the keeper which is the key to scoring goals when one does not have the accuracy of Zidane or Beckham.

• Ronaldos better than messi

He is way better and has a better back story showing what hes gone through. He is also just better in a way if they had a 1v1 ronaldo would win. Its his attitude on the field that holds him back from the best player in the world at this moment in time

• Is it the stats or the reputation?

After seeing Sep Blatter speak we can clearly see how opinion has ruled the minds of people over facts. People say Ronaldo isn't a team player while Messi is, but Ronaldo was bought for the purpose of scoring goals. They bought him because he can do this. The other argument is look how he takes care of himself, or look at his attitude. No one here has lived with him, so we can't say how he is. I'd also like to point out Messi. People say he is a team player because he has Xavi and Iniesta, but they give him the ball all day long! Messi does hog the ball and people don't look at it that way because they hold a good image of him in heir mind. Yes this is my opinion, but with the opinions that have been circulating around I'd hope you would listen to mine. I hold Messi as a great player, he truly is, but I believe he wins the Balon D'or every year because he comes off as a more humble person. I believe the skill and influence a player has on the pitch should speak, not his life outside of football.

• Its ronaldo's attitude

My first and foremost important argument is the headline itself --ITS RONALDO'S ATTITUDE AND NOT HIS FOOTBALLING SKILLS THAT ARE THE CAUSE OF HIS FAILURE.
    To explain this stance I would like to ponder over the point that he himself in an interview with CNN accepted this clause.
    Secondly if you look into his performance for the year 2012 you will find that he had won with Real Madrid La liga 11-12,copa del ray 11-12 and also helped them reach the semi-finals of the uefa champions league.In the International UEFA Euro 12 he helped Portugal reach the semi-finals keeping in mind his invaluable contribution against netherland.
    This brings me to my final argument which i hope will surely convince the opposition. Ronaldo unlike Messi has played in Portugal,England and Spain and has proved worthwhile everywhere.On the other hand Messi has since the age of 13 played in Spain only and has adapted to play only in the soils of Spain which is proved by his under performance in the World Cup. T0,conclude I would like to say that Messi's luck was good till now but soon his luck will run out and he will get under the shadows of the mighty RONALDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ronaldo is best

There really isn't anything that messi can do that Ronaldo can't. On the other hand there's a number of things that Ronaldo can do that messi can't. For example, crossing, heading, and taking penalties. Ronaldo can also strike a dead ball better and use knuckle ball technique to do it.

• Messi sucks dicks

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro GOIH (born 5 February 1985), known as Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese pronunciation: [kɾɨʃtiˈɐnu ʁuˈnaɫdu]), is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays for Spanish club Real Madrid and the Portugal national team. He is a forward and serves as captain for Portugal. By the age of 22, Ronaldo had received Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year nominations. The following year, in 2008, he won his first Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year awards. He followed this up by winning the FIFA Ballon d'Or in 2013 and 2014. In September 2015, Ronaldo scored his 500th senior career goal for club and country.[4]

Often ranked as the best player in the world[5] and rated by some in the sport as the greatest of all time,[6][7][8][9] Ronaldo is the first Portuguese footballer to win three FIFA/Ballons d'Or, and the first player to win four European Golden Shoe awards. In January 2015, Ronaldo was named the best Portuguese player of all time by the Portuguese Football Federation, during its 100th anniversary celebrations.[10][11] With Manchester United and Real Madrid, he
    Ronaldo began his career as a youth player for Andorinha, where he played for two years, before moving to C.D. Nacional. In 1997, he moved to Sporting CP. In 2003 he signed for Manchester United for £12.2 million (€15 million). In 2004, he won his first trophy, the FA Cup. In 2007 and 2008, Ronaldo was named FWA Footballer of the Year, and was named the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year. In 2009 he won the FIFA Puskás Award for Goal of the Year. He became the world's most expensive player when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid in 2009 in a transfer worth £80 million (€94 million/$132 million). His buyout clause is valued at €1 billion.[12] In May 2012, he became the first footballer to score against every team in a single season in La Liga.[13] Ronaldo holds the record for most goals scored in a single UEFA Champions League season, having scored 17 goals in the 2013–14 season.[14] In December 2014, Ronaldo became the fastest player to score 200 goals in La Liga, which he accomplished in his 178th La Liga game.[15] He is the only player in the history of football to score 50 or more goals in a season on five consecutive occasions.[16] In September 2015, Ronaldo became the all-time top goalscorer in the UEFA Champions League with 82 goals, and in October 2015 he became Real Madrid's all-time leading goalscorer.

Ronaldo made his international debut for Portugal in August 2003, at the age of 18. He has since been capped over 100 times and has participated in 6 major tournaments: three UEFA European Championships (2004, 2008 and 2012) and three FIFA World Cups (2006, 2010 and 2014). Ronaldo is the first Portuguese player to reach 50 international goals, making him Portugal's all-time top

• Stats prove the fact

Ronaldo is better because in the past 2 seasons hes scored more goals with a better ratio.Ronaldo has been better with winning double the amount of honours in the past two seasons than messi . Messi is good but ronaldo scores more goals in less match and has goood pace.

• Ronaldo way better than Messi

Messi is a Barcelona player. Ronaldo can play anywhere in the league and score a hat-trick. Messi has been fed by Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta and has been in Barca since 12. He shows his true colors in internationals. Best player in FIFA world cup 2014 was a disgrace as mentioned by his compatriot Maradona. It is the media who goes into his innocent baby face that makes him look like LORD in football. Messi can never succeed outside Barca. Every dog is a lion at home. Look how versatile Ronaldo is! Anywhere he goes, he brings Magic! He is arrogant and hot tempered for sure! But that's his personality and it has nothing to do with football. If attitude was to be taken into account, you would never say Cantona, Zidane to be great players. Great players do have attitudes that they use to succeed.

• No he is not better

Because cristiano ronaldo is a complete player because he kicks with both legs, also can use header really good,Has skills for making a goal. Also he runs faster than messi and has alot of abilitys in a game. Plus messi took steriods. Cristiano had to practice to be really good at soccer.

• No he is not better