Is loan discrimination based on youthful age too common of a problem in the USA?

• I think it is.

Just because a person is young doesn't mean they are irresponsible and, many times, this is how they are categorized. If they are a college graduate or have good credit or have shown they can hold a job down for years, loan discrimination should not take place at all. Needs to stop.

• Loan discrimination based on youthful age is a problem in USA

Loan discrimination based on youthful age is a problem in USA. I am speaking from experience when I am saying this. I am only past mid 20's and have experienced loan discrimination quite a few times. The income is a factor, but the age plays even a bigger factor when applying for loans, and honestly, this is not fair to many hardworking young people.

• No, loan discrimination based on youthful age is not a common problem

Loan discrimination based on youthful age is an understandable problem. Many young people are not demonstrating maturity in financial matters and do not deserve special treatment or special loan programs. Loan worthiness is something that must be worked on over many years. Young people need more education about finances, the importance of only borrowing what is absolutely necessary, and paying their bills on time. Young people do not always understand the correlation between spending money and working to earn it. Too many loans go into default which only puts more of a burden on the responsible people who play by the rules and pay their debts.

• I don't think so

Legitimate loans, and more specifically mortgages are made based upon credit-worthiness. Generally for a lender to issue credit, there has to have been some review or credit, income. Age is less of a factor than the ability to repay, and I don't think most lenders would let youth discourage them from making what they'd consider to be a good loan.

• No, I don't believe loan discrimination based on youthful age is too common of a problem in the United States.

I believe that any bank should be free to extend a loan to whoever they wish to extend it to, If they feel that young people have a higher default rate and don't want to take the risk I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against them.