Is logic the only viable way to solve an unknown?

Asked by: Apparelled
  • Logic, what keeps moving us forward.

Logic, we should have to think about our problems, not jump into them blindly.

" No Problem Can Withstand The Assault of Sustained Thinking " - Voltaire

What is man without our brain? Our brain power is what makes humanity special, our ability to think and use logic is our biggest strength, let us it.

• Opposing arguments are opinions; things like "my truth is not your truth" or arguments thatdont realize that logic includes any kind of realization and pseudo-realization.

Without going into dictionary definitions I am going to make a collective definition for logic, of my own.

Logic is the act of seeing cause and effect between two things. The more cause and effect you see, the more you are aware of the limitations of your knowledge. It sounds silly to say that "only through logic you can - -" but it is what I will use to complete a sentence.

Only through logic are you able to become aware of the extent of the limitations that your current assumptions have. The universe itself is described by extremely complicated functions of displacement, velocity and force.

You may argue that the following is a circular argument, but it if you were to establish it as such, you do debate for the motion that nothing is worth arguing because "no finitely long argument 100% exhausts all conditions in 100% cases".

I will disregard that assumption for the text to follow, and I will not further a discussion with someone who would drag on to the former.

Even if constants of the universe change and some information is spatially and time-wise out of our reach (in other universes and whatnot) it is indubitably correct that our universe does not have a set of rules chaotically changing enough for these to prevent us from seeing connections between things to such a high extent that eventually with enough time we would likely decipher the rules of the universe to an extremely high extent. This "very high extent" is what I denote as "the unknown".

Arguing with the slight support things such as "infinite time" and "non-zero increase in knowledge over non-zero unit time" might exhaust the debate further, but all in all the trend is clear.

Logic is the act of establishing cause and effect relations between things. Our universe is not chaotic enough, and our most brilliant minds reliable enough, to establish it so that we continue to come closer to great answers about the nature of our universe by means of logic alone.

It may be logic that happens subconsciously. It may be logic that comes to us when dreaming, tripping on LSD and whatnot.

But it does happen with logic, so I do not see a point in arguing

That logic would NOT be intrinsically the concept and the concept alone -

which again is so fundamental to us that we don't even realize it, to analogously compare I would use the concepts of 'pi' and 'circle' to this -

That enables us to even have a remote chance at solving anything that we do know. And once again I emphasize, do not limit your conception of logic to simply conscious reasoning in the present. If you want to call it a spiritual realization, then make it so to yourself. But it is still an act of logic.

Even "intuitive" and "spiritual-like" realizations ARE an act of LOGIC.

• Yeah, I mean

What the crap are we going to do with it then? If we have no evidence of something, then where do we get anything for that idea? Do we just call it unknown and leave it alone? Do we take a guess and call it good? There's gotta be some sort of reasoning. It's simple stuff.

• Logic has flaws and paradoxes

And because this is a fact, to say that an issue is solved solely because logic has proven it, is in fact an illogical assumption. It would seem that many people who lean heavily on logic see the world in black and white, as apposed to many shades of grey.

• Classical, straightforward logic is untenable in many cases

To get a clear view of an event, one must consider everything and everyone that has contributed to that event. Classical logic would hold that the First World War began because of the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. However, a straightforward procession of cause and effect would ignore the economic and colonial competition involved between the belligerent nations. Logic has its place, mainly in the fields of mathematics and chemistry. For observations regarding humanity itself, we must look further past the "appearance" of being and observe the mechanics with make up "actually" being

Posted by: Tlyr
  • Logic is flawed

Humans are flawed beings therefor logic is flawed as logic was created by humans who are a flawed race so that meens that you are not perfect you are flawed as you are debating for a flawed thing made by you who are flawed... Think on that all it takes is logic =)

• Not everyone needs to be Albert Einstein.

I fully oppose to the idea of needing logic to solve the unknown, there are plenty of different ways to solve things, depending on who you are, how your brain thinks and how you choose to work it out.

Doctors, & scientists aren't always logically correct. There are many examples of this in everyday life, I know plenty of stories, but let me share one.

There was a beautiful woman who was very popular, liked and friendly in and out of her community of friends, one day, out of the blue, she began behaving differently, her attitude had taken a downhill, she lost all self respect and most of all, she had dark vibe vibrating off her. One day her worried relatives took her to get it checked out, as they were examining her, the woman's aunt started praying for her niece's well being. As the aunt was praying the woman, who we will call Suzie started barking out unknown languages, spitting on everyone, thrashing around in her chair until her aunt stopped praying, she returned to normal.

The doctors had no clue what she had, but to make life easier for them the diagnosed her with schizophrenia based on her sudden outbursts, dramatic change of personality and their own opinion.

Suzie's aunt was beginning to get very worried about her niece and decided to take her to the church, the pastor immediately told her not to listen to the medical advice and that Suzie is possessed.

After many days of trying to exorcise Suzie, her demon was realized and the doctors were completely stunned at this miracle.

In other words, you don't need logic, this priest used his faith in God as one way to solve an unknown, but there are plenty more ways.

-excuse my grammar I am an 13 year old.

• No, wisdom is a better way.

Saying logic is the only way to solve an unknown says humans have perfect knowledge, know all things, past, present and future and can perceive all things. And to be honest humans do not know all things and will never - we aren't even able to work out in totality how our brains work (ie - we are not as intelligent as we like to think). To think we know or can know the answer to all things is conceited and is in essence saying we are God. Human logic (which is incredibly flawed) has legalised the murder millions in communist and facist societies. Wisdom, in humility, says we are imperfect beings as everyone of us has a tendancy to selfishness and a whole manner of other vices, and we do not know all things, therefore where an unknown is unsolvable it is much wiser to consult a higher logic.