• Yes, but I think they should change it.

English gives students many valueable career skills such as analysis and presentation skills. However, I think that instead of just reading novels students should be reading professional documents, technical writing etc. That would better prepare them for careers. English classes should only teach 1 or 2 books a semester to introduce students to literature, but not go so obsessively into analyzing works of fiction.

• Of course it is needed

Understanding and comprehending literature is a skill that goes beyond the classroom. By understanding symbolism, it expands your critical thinking ability. Science and math classes also expand critical thinking skills, but English requires a different process to finding answers than the sciences. It is a much more creative, and arguably more applicable to real life, type of thought process. Also, there is not a book that loses it's meaning with age. The thing about books is that their messages stand the test of time. Even if they didn't, books need to be analyzed in order to gain an understanding of a time period. Books also expand your vocabulary, not to mention an understanding of grammar.

• English class is dumb

I am in an english class right now. All we are doing is typing argument essays. We don't even read that much. Only one book this year. I thought the reason for english class was based on literature. I'm really bored and I asked my teacher why we do this and she couldn't even come up with a reason. Overall I don't think englishclass is manditory.

• Is Mandatory English Class really unnecessary

I believe that English should not be a mandatory subject because....

Children should choose what they want to learn, because children have freedom to choose. Also everyone doesn't like to learn by force.

Children can learn english later on, when they have time. So I think that English should not be a mandatory subject.

Thank you for reading my reasons why I think English should not be a mandatory subject.

• I am fucking retarded

I need English so I can get smarter a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• I think English Classes are necessary.

English is not just a language that U.S.A and Britain use. English is a world wide language and is used the most in the whole entire world. Whenever you go, there will be at least one person who can speak English. To be prepared to go outside the real world, get jobs, and do things like that, English is very important. In conclusion, I think mandatory English classes are necessary.

• English class should not be mandatory

I think English class shouldn't be mandatory unless the student wants to be a professional writer. From middle school to high school all we do is read novels and we should have already learned how to read and write so whats the point of taking up 4 classes just for reading, When students could be taking classes for their job they want to have later in life?

• English class is dumb

• English class is dumb

• English class is dumb

• English class is dumb

• English class is dumb

• I believe that English should not be a mandatory subject because....

• Share no benefit to advanced students.

The students that score much higher than average eg. 12.9 reading and writing in a 9.0 class and beyond have nothing to gain. It is no benefit to the students, no matter what type of class. If classes were on certain aspects that one could opt into then it could benefit but currently it is not.