• The opposing arguments don't make sense.

I'm assuming the first "sport" you think of is either football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, or any other than requires physical activity. However. NO WHERE does it say you have to be in a fit condition (or "pretty") to be in a sport or the activity you are doing to be a sport. As a reminder, bowling is a sport. So is ping pong. So are golfing and -believe it or not I am correct (http://www.Ballooninghistory.Com) - ballooning. It does not take physical work, strength or endurance to be a sport, but physical/mental skill. Marching band may not be as much as a workout as football, but it combines both mental coordination, physical memory and a learned march that you have to perform. The band has practices for the music and for the marching show that take hours after school and some schools even have the band show up months before school even begins. I know some kids might not be "pretty" and some may be fat, but they have learned that skill and if they are a good players and marchers, then they are a part of out team. Even if I am biased because I am in a marching band, most of my friends that are not agree, with me. On another point, it is by definition, a sport. The definition by dictionary.Com of sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" going back "athletic acivity requiring skill or physical prowness" Skill. If playing an instrument while marching backwards at 150bpm and playing sixteenth notes -and all well- is not skill, then please, enlighten me. Also, "competitive nature" yes. There are marching band competitions, and while maybe they are not so serious in the highschool level, there are DCIs and other groups that compete in national championships. If there is anything I've missed or any other arguments that you come up with, please tell me.

• I strongly disagree with the opposing arguments.

• Well, of course it is.

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Under this definition, marching band at all levels, especially DCI is a asport. This is the same reason cheerleading, dancing, etc. Are all sports. When you are competing, and exerting energy to win, you are involved in a asport.

• Depends on the Context of the Situation

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. Being that we pay twice as much as the other sports and that we CAN FUNCTION without the help of funding, it's fair that it's considered one of the fall sports. Otherwise, the only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

I DO believe marching band at the collegiate level is a sport. Everyone is willing to be there, MULTIPLE (this means more than one) shows are memorized. Ohio State does a new show EVERY WEEK. Practices are more frequent, traveling is more frequent, and being physically fit is essential to success.

In addition, DCI (Drum Corps International) is without question a sport. You spend 10 months (November-August) out of the year for the season, with you being away from civilization for 4 of those months (May-August). Practices are typically all day, and being physically fit is a requirement. I plan on auditioning for a few corps within the next few years, and it has been more physically demanding than anything else I have ever done. Plus, you PAY to be in DCI (around $3,000), which is definitely different than getting paid for other sports.

So, in the right context, marching band is definitely a sport.

• In the Right Context

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. The only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

• No it's not.

Marching band is not a sport. Period. They all think they "work out", but really, who are we kidding. They don't. They are all obese, fat, overweight, and not in shape at all. If you work out, where is your muscle? Where are your callouses from playing the fucking trumpet that is just soooo GOD DAMN HEAVY! No it's not, it's really not. Also, let's be honest. To all you bandies out there- you ugly as fuuuck. Seriously folks, why are they so unattractive?! Too fat, too skinny, pimple face, saggy tits- like seriously? EWWW. Get some acne cream, a pushup bra, and a new life, if you want to do a sport, play football. Or track, or lacrosse, or basketball or cheer. Or if your not into that then do dance or gymnastics. I don't give a fuck. You ugly ass mutherfucking nerds and geeks need to get a clue. No one likes you. That's why your not popular. That's why the only people that want to go out with you are other bandies or ugly desperate wannabees that are just looking to get laid. In conclusion, I think that marching band is not a sport simply because I think it supports poor work ethic, a lazy attitude, obesity, and unattractivenes. Also, I think you also should go to hell, and take your stupid trumpets with you.

• Marching band is for fatties and nerds.

I strongly believe that marching band is not a sport because all the anime freaks and lesbians. How is strutting around with a trumpet a sport? If it was a sport they would not be fat!!!!!!!!!!! I get that tubas are heavy but their body weight is a lot heavier. Instead of marching band camp, they need a fat camp.

• No it's not.