• The opposing arguments don't make sense.

I'm assuming the first "sport" you think of is either football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, or any other than requires physical activity. However. NO WHERE does it say you have to be in a fit condition (or "pretty") to be in a sport or the activity you are doing to be a sport. As a reminder, bowling is a sport. So is ping pong. So are golfing and -believe it or not I am correct (http://www.Ballooninghistory.Com) - ballooning. It does not take physical work, strength or endurance to be a sport, but physical/mental skill. Marching band may not be as much as a workout as football, but it combines both mental coordination, physical memory and a learned march that you have to perform. The band has practices for the music and for the marching show that take hours after school and some schools even have the band show up months before school even begins. I know some kids might not be "pretty" and some may be fat, but they have learned that skill and if they are a good players and marchers, then they are a part of out team. Even if I am biased because I am in a marching band, most of my friends that are not agree, with me. On another point, it is by definition, a sport. The definition by dictionary.Com of sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" going back "athletic acivity requiring skill or physical prowness" Skill. If playing an instrument while marching backwards at 150bpm and playing sixteenth notes -and all well- is not skill, then please, enlighten me. Also, "competitive nature" yes. There are marching band competitions, and while maybe they are not so serious in the highschool level, there are DCIs and other groups that compete in national championships. If there is anything I've missed or any other arguments that you come up with, please tell me.

• I strongly disagree with the opposing arguments.

• Well, of course it is.

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Under this definition, marching band at all levels, especially DCI is a asport. This is the same reason cheerleading, dancing, etc. Are all sports. When you are competing, and exerting energy to win, you are involved in a asport.

• Depends on the Context of the Situation

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. Being that we pay twice as much as the other sports and that we CAN FUNCTION without the help of funding, it's fair that it's considered one of the fall sports. Otherwise, the only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

I DO believe marching band at the collegiate level is a sport. Everyone is willing to be there, MULTIPLE (this means more than one) shows are memorized. Ohio State does a new show EVERY WEEK. Practices are more frequent, traveling is more frequent, and being physically fit is essential to success.

In addition, DCI (Drum Corps International) is without question a sport. You spend 10 months (November-August) out of the year for the season, with you being away from civilization for 4 of those months (May-August). Practices are typically all day, and being physically fit is a requirement. I plan on auditioning for a few corps within the next few years, and it has been more physically demanding than anything else I have ever done. Plus, you PAY to be in DCI (around $3,000), which is definitely different than getting paid for other sports.

So, in the right context, marching band is definitely a sport.

• In the Right Context

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. The only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

• Definition of sport-an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

1. ) -an activity involving physical exertion. If marching and playing and instrument at the same time is not physical exertion I don't know what is.
    2. )skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Well we do go to competitions and we do play for the entrainment of others.

• I am a marching band participant.

I saw someone on here post the argument: "Marching band is for fatties, Anime freaks, Lesbians, And gays. If marching band wasn't a sport then they wouldn't be fat! " Part of this is true. Most of us in my band are LGBTQ+ and we love anime but the was this is said is rude and disrespectful. I doubt most of you idiots who oppose probably don't know what this means. But try to march backwards at 150bpm while playing triplets AND staying in time AND keeping good technique. Secondly, WE ARE NOT FAT! Band requires just as much physical exertion as football. Actually, More. Football:500cal/hr Marching band: 700cal/11min. Tell me it is not a sport! (Don't really tell me unless you have a good opposing argument. ) Plus, If you actually got to know one of us, You would learn to accept us.

• Okay, Listen up you thotties cuz this bitch is a motherfucking sport.

Okay so first off, Some of ya’lls “No” arguments are disrespectful as fuck. “Lmao you’re all fat weaboo lesbian losers who need to get a life 😂😂😂. ” is not a fucking argument sweaty. That’s some disrespectful ass shit. I don’t give a motherfucking wanker ass shit about your views on same sex marriage, But fat shaming is disrespectful as fuck. Marching band requires much physical stamina as you may be required to carry heavy objects (sousaphone, Drums, Color guard flags, Etc. ) and you need to weather the temperature as you’re out in the boiling ass heat and the freezing ass cold. Also you’ll probably end up being poured on at one point because rain. Hooray! Maybe you’ll be snowed on! The possibilities are endless! Just like that black hole in your brain that’s eating away at your IQ. Marching band also requires mental stamina since you have to either learn to play an instrument or dance/wave a flag in certain positions/flip fake rifles. You also have to memorize technique (or else you’ll have your ego brutally slaughtered by the drill instructors) as well as music and your place on the field. It’s a big ass commitment and will take up most of your time. Also we do compete and that whole “But most people don’t see it as a sport so it’s not” argument isn’t valid either. So yeah, Ya’ll can fight me about this bitch not being a sport, But in the end I honestly won’t give a shit. I just want to throw in my two cents about how some of ya’ll are some ignorant fucking cunts since you’ve never even tried it. In fact, I’ve never tried a lot of sports. I mean, Maybe football isn’t even a sport! I mean all you do pass a few pound ball around and tackle each other. You’re just some sweaty ass teenager weaboo lesbians who need to get a life 😂😂😂. (Don’t get your titties in a twist, This is an obvious fucking joke about how dumb some of ya’ll sound. )

• Marching band is for fatties and nerds.

I strongly believe that marching band is not a sport because all the anime freaks and lesbians. How is strutting around with a trumpet a sport? If it was a sport they would not be fat!!!!!!!!!!! I get that tubas are heavy but their body weight is a lot heavier. Instead of marching band camp, they need a fat camp.

• Marching Band is not a sport

Marching band is a competition not a sport. While band may not be easy, make no mistake, it is an art, not a sport. While band, specifically marching band, may require a small amount of physical fitness and coordination, there is no way that it can be considered a sport.

• Unfortunately it isn't

Marching band is music there is no competitive music, there is not much physical exertion I mean you can work hard carry that heavy instrument around but at the end of the day society doesn't view band as a sport we all have this ideal vision of sport (big muscle people,sweat,Gatorade commercials,etc.) an ideal that marching band doesn't fit into because media portrays band members as pimple faced pubescent fat kids which isn't true, a lot of people go by whatever media says but personally I believe marching band isn't a sport

• Marching band will never be a sport

It isn't physically challenging to anyone in shape. The heaviest Bras instrument is 50lbs at most, and thats the heaviest of them. The majority are much less, and 50lbs is nothing anyway. Its talent based, requires hard work, memorization and skill. It is a competition. It isn't physical though. Walking or marching with a 100lb instrument wouldnt make it a sport. It's not physically based.

• No, marching band is not a sport.

While it does require more than a minimal amount of physical activity, that doesn't automatically make it a sport. It has to do with music, so what's wrong with classifying it in a similar way to that of a choir or orchestra? Just because you can get gym credits by doing it doesn't make it a sport. Carrying a heavy instrument is far from athletic, and playing fast notes does not make it physically exerting. Requiring skill doesn't make it a sport either. Eating competitions could be considered sports by these terms: They require physical effort, require lots of skill, and are competitive.
    I think I've made my point pretty clear. I am open to other opinions though. Cheers! :)