• The opposing arguments don't make sense.

I'm assuming the first "sport" you think of is either football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, or any other than requires physical activity. However. NO WHERE does it say you have to be in a fit condition (or "pretty") to be in a sport or the activity you are doing to be a sport. As a reminder, bowling is a sport. So is ping pong. So are golfing and -believe it or not I am correct (http://www.Ballooninghistory.Com) - ballooning. It does not take physical work, strength or endurance to be a sport, but physical/mental skill. Marching band may not be as much as a workout as football, but it combines both mental coordination, physical memory and a learned march that you have to perform. The band has practices for the music and for the marching show that take hours after school and some schools even have the band show up months before school even begins. I know some kids might not be "pretty" and some may be fat, but they have learned that skill and if they are a good players and marchers, then they are a part of out team. Even if I am biased because I am in a marching band, most of my friends that are not agree, with me. On another point, it is by definition, a sport. The definition by dictionary.Com of sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" going back "athletic acivity requiring skill or physical prowness" Skill. If playing an instrument while marching backwards at 150bpm and playing sixteenth notes -and all well- is not skill, then please, enlighten me. Also, "competitive nature" yes. There are marching band competitions, and while maybe they are not so serious in the highschool level, there are DCIs and other groups that compete in national championships. If there is anything I've missed or any other arguments that you come up with, please tell me.

• I strongly disagree with the opposing arguments.

• Well, of course it is.

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Under this definition, marching band at all levels, especially DCI is a asport. This is the same reason cheerleading, dancing, etc. Are all sports. When you are competing, and exerting energy to win, you are involved in a asport.

• Depends on the Context of the Situation

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. Being that we pay twice as much as the other sports and that we CAN FUNCTION without the help of funding, it's fair that it's considered one of the fall sports. Otherwise, the only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

I DO believe marching band at the collegiate level is a sport. Everyone is willing to be there, MULTIPLE (this means more than one) shows are memorized. Ohio State does a new show EVERY WEEK. Practices are more frequent, traveling is more frequent, and being physically fit is essential to success.

In addition, DCI (Drum Corps International) is without question a sport. You spend 10 months (November-August) out of the year for the season, with you being away from civilization for 4 of those months (May-August). Practices are typically all day, and being physically fit is a requirement. I plan on auditioning for a few corps within the next few years, and it has been more physically demanding than anything else I have ever done. Plus, you PAY to be in DCI (around $3,000), which is definitely different than getting paid for other sports.

So, in the right context, marching band is definitely a sport.

• In the Right Context

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. The only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

• Yes, it is!

We spend hours out in the heat. The definition of sport according to Google is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." We sure do work hard. I would say that we work harder than other sports. We also have competitions at away schools for the best drum major, overall sound, etc.

• Yes, it is!

• Marching band is a sport

Marching band is a sport because the definition of a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Marching band can be very high energy. As a guard member, I would love to see the average person backwards march 2 yard lines in 10 seconds at a 144 tempo while spinning a flag. Furthermore, marching bands go to competitions and compete against other bands for grand champion and the enjoyment of others. In conclusion, by the definition of the word sport, marching band should be considered a sport.

• Marching Band: Sport or not?

Sport definition:
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Physical exertion? Marching and playing for ten minutes straight would be considered physically exerting.
    Skill? Try playing difficult music perfectly while marching to a certain spot in a certain amount of time and keeping your shoulders square with the sideline and keeping your upper body straight so the music doesn't wobble AND marching in step.
    Competition? Look up DCI sometime. Or Pulaski. There are plenty of marching band competitions around.
    Entertainment? Watch a marching band. It's entertaining and awe-inspiring.

Technically, marching band should be considered a sport. Anything else from that is only opinion. Plus, everyone claiming that it's not a sport literally doesn't have any proof.

1-watch DCI
    2-march in a marching band
    3-tell me again that marching band is not a sport

• Marching Band Is A Sport

I am in marching band, and the definition of a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment, therefore marching band, is in fact, a sport. Physical exertion, check, a skill in which a team competes against another, check, for entertainment of others, check. MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT.

• Marching band is for fatties and nerds.

I strongly believe that marching band is not a sport because all the anime freaks and lesbians. How is strutting around with a trumpet a sport? If it was a sport they would not be fat!!!!!!!!!!! I get that tubas are heavy but their body weight is a lot heavier. Instead of marching band camp, they need a fat camp.

• Marching Band is not a sport

Marching band is a competition not a sport. While band may not be easy, make no mistake, it is an art, not a sport. While band, specifically marching band, may require a small amount of physical fitness and coordination, there is no way that it can be considered a sport.

• Unfortunately it isn't

Marching band is music there is no competitive music, there is not much physical exertion I mean you can work hard carry that heavy instrument around but at the end of the day society doesn't view band as a sport we all have this ideal vision of sport (big muscle people,sweat,Gatorade commercials,etc.) an ideal that marching band doesn't fit into because media portrays band members as pimple faced pubescent fat kids which isn't true, a lot of people go by whatever media says but personally I believe marching band isn't a sport

• Marching band will never be a sport

It isn't physically challenging to anyone in shape. The heaviest Bras instrument is 50lbs at most, and thats the heaviest of them. The majority are much less, and 50lbs is nothing anyway. Its talent based, requires hard work, memorization and skill. It is a competition. It isn't physical though. Walking or marching with a 100lb instrument wouldnt make it a sport. It's not physically based.

• No, marching band is not a sport.

While it does require more than a minimal amount of physical activity, that doesn't automatically make it a sport. It has to do with music, so what's wrong with classifying it in a similar way to that of a choir or orchestra? Just because you can get gym credits by doing it doesn't make it a sport. Carrying a heavy instrument is far from athletic, and playing fast notes does not make it physically exerting. Requiring skill doesn't make it a sport either. Eating competitions could be considered sports by these terms: They require physical effort, require lots of skill, and are competitive.
    I think I've made my point pretty clear. I am open to other opinions though. Cheers! :)