• Yes Marijuana is a gateway drug

Certain debates have focused on whether marijuana is or is not a “Gateway” or a “stepping stone” drug. Notably, some claim that Marijuana is a drug which leads users to branch out into more dangerous substances, such as cocaine, heroin and crystal. As the drugfreeworld.Org states, the vast majority of cocaine users (99.9%) began by first using a “gateway drug” like marijuana, tobacco or alcohol. Of course, not everyone who smokes marijuana and hashish goes on to use harder drugs. Some never do. On the contrary, DPA disagrees, emphasising that Marijuana could only give benefits and that it rarely has defaults, by including that while using the medical prescriptions of marijuana, the only effects it gives is short term memory loss.

• The feeling is addictive.

I am not a "pot-hater", but I do feel marijuana is a drug; because, I truly believe it is addictive. Not the drug itself, but the high is the addictive part. One becomes hooked on the feeling of being high, and simply can't get enough of it. Eventually, they begin to rely on the feeling to relieve stress.

• Yes, marijuana is a gateway drug.

While I am not personally familiar with the influence of marijuana and its addictiveness, marijuana is a gateway drug because it is classified as illegal. In smoking marijuana, the user is defining themselves as a deviant or a criminal, ok with performing illegal activities to attain a high. I believe, in most cases, this view of one's self as a deviant who needs a fix is what allows reduction of the emotional barriers that would hinder an average law-abiding individual from taking heavier drugs. In this way, it serves as a gateway to heavier and more addictive drugs.

• Seen it happen

My father was a smuggler and my mother an addict.
    Plenty of people I have met have used hashish and not gone onto something else, but a great many have, usually due to simply being exposed to the drug "scene." As they make friends with dealers and users, they come to believe that everyday use is OK, and inevitably one of their new buddies will offer them some cocaine (etc). It only takes one person like this to bring down a whole group of others.

• Yes, marijuana can be a dangerous path to other drug use.

We've all heard the phrase, "If one is good, then two is better." The same holds true for drug usage. Of course, a one time experience isn't going to lead immediately to a lifelong residence in an opium den, but continued use of a drug that may be considered as safe becomes simply a bar that many people try to push higher and higher for the next best thing or the next bigger experience.

• Not at all

Ive seen kids smoke every day for years and years and years and then they grow up to get good jobs. Weed wont affect anything as long As you use it in moderation once in a while and not using it during ur studies. Like school and work too. .

• Marijuana Itself isn't a gateway drug.

I've smoked pot since I was pretty young. But, when I ran out of pot, I didn't just decide that I was going to go get me some crank just to get "high". I have did other drugs so I know this by experience. I did the other drugs because of my friends and my dealers (which is also a friend of mine). They did other drugs so I figured why not. But, at the same time I still smoked pot. If it was a gateway drug then I would've stopped smoking pot and got something harder and supposedly "better". I've never smoked pot and just one day decided "Hey! I want to smoke some crack". Marijuana leads you on a peaceful pathway and for anyone who needs a little more in their life than just everyday reality, I suggest smoking pot.

• No, people know the line between pot and crack

I think most understand that ganja is a relatively harmless recreational drug when used in moderation, whereas heroin , cocaine, Rx pills, methamphetamine , and others are highly addictive drugs that can ruin their life. It should be regulated like alcohol and be legal to anyone over 18, fall under DUI laws for driving and operating machinery. Unlike alcohol though, you can't OD on pot. Give yourself a serious sore throat and lung pain, but no OD deaths, few if any DUI related deaths, and few to no sexual assaults because of it

• Blame the law.

If it is a gateway drug, it's only because it was forced underground. A marijuana smoker has to do business with drug dealers, many of which deal in far more dangerous substances as well. That culture ultimately pressure them into doing other drugs. Prohibition is almost always counterproductive in this regard. By nature marijuana should no more a gateway drug than tobacco, alcohol, or even caffeine.

Posted by: Quan
  • The drug itself is not to blame

This was a hard one to answer, but I would consider myself an expert on the topic, considering I spent the past four years of my life basically studying for this exact question. The things you have to ask when you ask yourself this question are, what does the question mean by marijuana? Does it mean strictly the most basic form, someone smoking marijuana? Or does it mean someone coming into the culture of smoking pot? And the next thing you must think about is, what does it mean by gateway drug? Because if you just smoke pot I can promise you will never want to try some coke or mushrooms or anything else because "you aren't getting high enough" however it were to mean just a gateway then yes. Because smoking pot is indeed a gateway culture, doing the drug isn't was makes it that it's the illegal nature of the business. One person might want to sell the drug and build a relation ship with the person whom he buys his ounces from, in turn that person who may already be involved in many other drug will offer him a line of coke, sort of a good business gift. So what I'm trying to say is that smoking pot alone by yourself without ever being influenced by anything other than the drug will not lead you too harder drugs. However for practical purposes pot smoking culture is a gateway, so its the culture not the drug.

• This Is So Untrue

I Love These Anti Marijuana Signs And Commercials, They Make Me Laugh, I Smoked Marijuana For Years (I Do Not Now, I'm In A Position To Be Tested) And I've Never Seen Anyone That Smoked And Get Mellowed Out, Go Looking For Meth. I've Never Heard Of Anyone Going "Well Dang It, Your Out Of Pot, Guess I'll Take The Meth Then!". Marijuana Is A Gateway Drug To Peace, Tranquility And A Lot Of Giggling, Not Meth!

• No, drug dealers are just greedy.

The minimal research that "proves" that marijuana is a gateway drug is skewed because of drug dealers. If I am a dealer wh sells a variety of drugs and I have a regular buyer who only does weed, then of course I'm going to try to sell them my other stuff. Why would I continue selling cheap mary jane, when I could make a huge profit off of cocaine? You can not call marijuana a gateway drug. Doing so is the same thing as an alcoholic saying milk is a gateway drug because he drank it.

• No, not by its nature, but it can be

Marijuana is a very light drug. The only thing that makes it a gateway is its status. It is seen as "cool" and rebellious. Given this I think children will take it as a light start to see if they want to go further. Now, consider cigarettes , they are terribly unhealthy, and they are essentially drugs. Hardly ever do you see this leading to heavier stuff. ( Though it's not unheard of ) I believe weed is as bad as society makes it.