Is Mario the greatest video game character of all time?

• He is great

He is the best at everything and that is saying something because I love Kirby and Meta Knight a lot
    but Mario is the best period. I love his adventures and RPGs and I love Mario kart and Mario party too. And he beats Bowser the geatest boss of all time

• Yes mario is the best

Because he doesn't need to be cool or edgy like Sonic and does not have bloody violence like mortal combat or God of war and he doesn't need guns like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty he's game's are fun for all ages check the only reason I got into video games was of beacuase of mario I loved him with his red cap and jumping abilities and the way he was always happy going "it's a mario ". Sonic may have attitude but he's kinda of jerk,mario is the best and deserves the best, how can anybody not like his games

• He Is A God

He kicked a castle with ease He saved the universe twice He could easily defeat setve with one punch and even kill sonic He May be A all around fighter sure but His stats ar Perfect! Not To mention He has a golden tanooki form so yeah Mario da boss

• Can't Beat Mario you just CAN'T

Mario is one of a kind. From eating mushrooms to flying around to racing and fighting, Mario is truly a great game, one of the greatest games EVER! Must you ask your self can you get power ups in other games, can you unlock secret worlds or fly to different galaxies or race in caars and race under water and anti-gravidy racing in other games, anwser is NO!! Mario Is The Best And No Body Can Not Do Better!!!!

• No Other Game Is This AMazing and long of a series that is STILL growing

OK I know Mario isn't like Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat but still Mario is appropeat for children plus its fun for adults too. Mario goes from saving princess peach to being in space to playing sports and fighting like Mortal Kombat. You can't Beat MARIO never ever ever!!!1

• Hands down the best

Mario is not only the greatest, most iconic and most memorable but he is also the most powerful. The star rod granted him invincibility as well as omnipotence and his arsenal of shrooms and flowers is a deadly arsenal. Ultimately he is a childhood memory and present day heroic character.

• Of course Mario is the best!

Not only revolutioned the video game marketing, he even made the first real side-scrolling platform game of all time! And c'mon he's the videogame icon for sure! He did a lot of revolutionary things: he made tje first side-scrolling game, he did the first real 3D game with fantastic controls, hos brother Luigi made the first type of anti-gravity in Luigi's Mansion... He is the most revolutionary character of all time!

• Yes he is!

Mario was the very first VG character I ever played as! The game was Super Mario 64, the original. I have finally beaten that game, after many years. The first "Super Mario Bros." is my favorite. I have finally beaten that game too, 3 times. Mario is the best, and he always will be!

• Without a doubt!

Not only did he save the video game industry, Mario is the only character I can think of that has so many good games. His formula changes throughout almost every game. He may not be in depth, or a dynamic character, and he has the personality of a cardboard box, but his games are arguably the most fun games on the market. Mario is life, Mario is love.

• Without a doubt!

• He's a huge icon, but that's about it.

We all love playing are Mario games going from classic versions to Mario cart and Mario party. Even with his countless amount of games he has very little development. Ill admit i have fun with his games for an occasional source of entertainment. As a character though he's not even the most interesting in the Nintendo franchise. And if this debate is encompassing all of video game history i believe he ranks very low as a character being easily out done by several final fantasy characters, and even out done by other games supporting characters like the ones in chrono trigger. My resoning for this is his lack of backstory. And to prove this can anyone tell me anything about him besides hes a plumber who needs to save a princess. That's about all i have to say on the matter. And yes I know im over explaining but i just want people to understand you can't have a great character without character development.

• NO he is not

I will say that he is definitely one of the greatest characters in the video game world but to say that he is THE greatest is going out on a limb because I think that Sonic could arguably be a better character than he is not to mention Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft or even Zelda for that matter.

• Assassin Ezio Auditore

No. Ezio Auditore is the best italian video game character ever and here's why, he speak actual Italian and not just iMoma mia! And there are actual settings in Italy. Mario is a character made by Japanese that doesn't speak much Italian where as Ezio speaks a lot of Italian.

• One of the most iconic? Yes. Greatest? Doubtful.

Mario is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. He is to video games as Mickey Mouse is to cartoons. There will be some debate as to who is the greatest video game character of all time is (my vote goes to Link of the Zelda franchise...but does that matter? No, it's subjective). Many would say Mario, of course, but he is just a plumber who has mishap after mishap involving a dragon named Browser and a princess who never seems to be in the castle you are in. You can say there is no backstory, but there is. Is he the most interesting, I doubt it. Since the game is basically the same thing over and over again tossing in a whatever Yoshi is and some new characters here and there, it's no more special than any other game. It is about how you connect to characters. I connect with Zelda, some connect with Mario, some connect with whatever other game is out there say they are the greatest. Who really knows.

• No, he is a great figure, but not a great character.

Mario is an icon for video games. A legend that has passed the test of time. He is the greatest figure of video games ever. The greatest character? No. If I were to switch Mario's pixels for that of another character, the game would be the exact same. Why? Because nothing makes Mario special. He has no history or backstory compared to characters like those of Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid. He has no depth at all. So while he is a great icon, he is not a great character.