• It just doesn't seem to work anymore

The general idea of marriage is two people coming together and saying that they love each other so much that they are willing to spend the rest of their lives at each others side. But I do think that it has some inherent problems.
    The first problem I see with marriage is the entire lifelong bound thing. No one of us can see into the future and it's impossible to predict where you will be in X amount of years. This includes your love life, I know when you have been together for so many years and everything went well it feels right but that doesn't mean that the future is set in stone on this matter. This is only further backed up by how high divorce rates are in our western world, and don't get me wrong, I'm all for divorce if you feel your marriage isn't working out anymore.
    My next issue is that marriage almost feels like a social contest. Which couple will have the most impressive ceremony? Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people do not think of it like this at all but surely you have been to a happy couples marriage before and wondered exactly how much money they spend. Hell, some people go as far as going in debt just to get married. It just seems that there shouldn't be a need for people to spend so much money on saying that you will remain faithful to your significant other. And to come back on my previous issue, a divorce costs a ton of money as well next to the emotional stress they can cause.
    My third issue is how people react to marriage as 'it's the ultimate show of love to your partner'. I feel that if the both of you truly love each other so much, why would you need this ceremony? Can you not as adults come to an agreement that you both love each other and will stay with each other until one or both parties feel that it isn't working out anymore without having to go through a painful divorce process? Do you really need to know that one or two official documents claim that you are married to someone?