• I don't need the government to validate my love!

Marriage is a legal institution that only serves legal purposes. I think if you want to have a ceremony you still can do that without the need of legally marrying someone and signing a legal contract. This only complicates things later on, and puts pressure on both sides. If you love someone that love will not change wether you signed somewhere or not. Your love and commitment is internal and personal. We don't need a priest or a mulla to approve of our reunion. We are the only ones that matter in this union. Further it comes with all sorts of fees and legal processes that makes things more complicated. Many people live happily together without the need of this document!

• Marriage isn't important

Many people are still living fine even though they didn't marry. They can still upgrade their knowledge, skills, jobs, and other things. And if we marry, we can have a fight, and it costs a lot of money to be paid in the marriage. So, I think marriage isn't IMPORTANT.

• It Depends Where You Live

In my opinion, marriage is not outdated, perhaps the numbers of marriage as time goes by have gone down but marriage is definitely still relevant it is not outdated at all, people now are starting to live together first before getting married. Marriage is also a benefit for others because of financial advantages.

• Marriage is not needed

Most couples today are already living together without a marriage just fine. The costs and time it takes to get a divorce is a lot, but if you aren't married like most couples are not then you don't need to go through all of the court things that getting a divorce is all about.

• Meaningless traditional gesture that people go through the motions because they feel like the are "supposed" to do at some point in their lives

People get married without thinking about their motivations to do so. If marriage is about commitment (forget for a second divorce rates) why is it necessary to be married to make such a commitment? Couldn't two individuals commit to one another without involving the government in such a pledge to one another? I think that many get married because this is what society and their families expect from them, not because of love or any other ideal. Because if two people wanted to be together for the rest of their lives, then they certainly don't need a marriage certificate to do this.

• Absolutely outdated now

The benefits sited are easily achieved by countless modern measures making it a very steep commitment compared to its disadvantages. I am married and my husband is a good one. However, I would not wish marriage on our children. I am in quite a pickle and reversing my situation will require careful planning and will need to be executed maybe 15 to 20 yrs from now so as not to upset the current balance as my husband is an old school believer of marriage.

• Absolutely outdated today

The benefits of marriage (reproduction, repoductive health, economics, healthy relationships, companionship, legal protection of property and inheritance, etc.) albeit not 100% guaranteed by the institution, can be gained by countless different alternatives. Only the disadvantages remain. I am married unfortunately and it is quite a pickle reversing my status as my husband is not at all a bad one and is staunch about it. I have kids which make it more complicated. But honestly if my children will decide not to marry in the future, I will give my full support. I do plan to get divorced when the kids grow up.

• Absolutely outdated today

• It's Not Outdated

• Do it! Yes

No, marriage is not becoming outdated in the United States. I think that it will always be around but given the nature of humans it is going to evolve with society. More statistics have people giving up on the idea of marriage, but it doesn't have to be for everyone.

• Kill yourself peter

Dead fish is big when no hippo find 2 decent dog bones with turtle on top of mountain and nobody has a life including you George!!!Oh and dont forget my carrot is still flying in the sky with your pet cucumber in the milky way well thats all i have to say George!!!

• I don' think it is outdated

In our society many people may think that marriage is outdated but I don't think it is. I don't think it is for everyone but it is still an important concept. People give up on relationships far too easy these days, and that is easier without having to go through a divorce I suppose.

• Marriage is not a dead system.

The way I'm looking at is there's no such as a perfect system. Marriage is one of those systems. It doesn't work for everybody. Especially, for the ones that believe in "we are just mammals." I don't think it's overrated. It's beautiful to see a married couple making it last, learning about each other, arguing with each other, and unconditional love for one and another. I think the reason why it's "overrated" because of what we see across all media platforms. Celebrities divorcing after a few months, multiple marriages, film and TV glorifying the single life.

I was engaged, she broke up with me after a year of being engaged. Luckily for me I wasn't bitter. Learned that some people don't value marriage as much as others. I look at marriage differently now. I don't take it as a joke. What's worse is I think people truly don't understand how to make it work. That's why we have such high divorce rates. People think they know what they want or fantasy of what they want. That usually leads to a divorce when they don't see the whole picture. For myself she wasn't ready and it took her a year to figure it out. So I think marriage is still out there and you can make it work with the right person but I could definitely say it's harder to know for sure from the other person side. This does not mean it's overrated. Just no one is ready when they're ready. But what makes marriage great is knowing that there's someone there with you to be there with you for the rest of your life. There's no definition or perfect marriage it's just your marriage. And I think that's what makes it even more special.

• No its not

The first marriage is recorded in the book of Genesis, at the creation of the first two human beings, Adam and Eve.
    “And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made He a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man” (Gen. 2:21-23).
    Verses 24-25 further reveal that God also created sex: “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife [not common-law or live-in partner]: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.”
    God saw everything that He had created and said it was “good”—including marriage and sex, which was created for the sole purpose of the marriage relationship between man and woman—to unite them as “one flesh” and to allow them to show love toward one another.

• God given institution

We try to change and deny the institutions of marriage, the family, and the Church...But if you look at this sensibly, and if people are committed and really willing to work at it, marriage is best for everyone. As humans, we desire relationships. This is the best model to maintain and grow in relationships.

• I would disagree

Many people rush into marriage and dont have the job to support their needs. People should receive a good income and be happy with the place they are living before they consider getting married. If people would wait a few more years before marriage they may be more likely to stay with their signifiant other.

• No. The benefits of marriage are well documented.

Cross culturally, marriage is a universal human institution and in every known society brings together men and women into a public, not private union.

Marriage provides definite health and financial benefits to couples and their children. Married individuals are generally more happy than their cohabitant or single counterparts.

Marriage is our most basic social institution for protecting children. It is the relationship that every known human society depends on for raising the next generation and insuring the future well-being of the society.

What needs to happen is for the social sciences to bring into the main stream their findings on benefits and path to successful marriages. Marriages can evolve with urbanization, gender equality, partner selection, and alternate support structures.

• Still a dream

Even if a lot of marriages ends in divorce, it is still a little girl's dream to have a beautiful wedding, and later in life they still want a big wedding, but also the comfort of knowing that they will stay together forever. I hope people don't give up on marriage, despite the bad statistics.