• It is outdated.

Because the “till death do us part” was created back in the days when life expectancy was low and medical care was not advanced. People were dying at a younger age so the “till death do us part” made a lot of sense during those hard times. Nowadays people live up to 80 years and change over time.

• Being married is just a signed piece of paper stating you own half of your partners stuff.

Some may argue that being married gives you benefits that you may not receive than if you were single. One way this is true is at the end of the year when you file your taxes you get a better tax break. There are other benefits you get when you are married.

• Doesn't fit with society's views

Before the modern age, people were generally more religious and so believed that marriage was something made in the eyes of whatever deity(s) they worshiped. In the Bible, for example, bad things happened when people's marriage broke up or someone committed adultery. Reflecting this, the law was harsher on things such as divorce. Now, since it is easier to divorce and the law/society doesn't condemn it as much, marriage break up is a lot more common and marriage in the first place is not taken as seriously on a "in the eyes of god/gods scale" people aren't as inclined to stick together "till death us do part". So is marriage as relevant in a society who's views don't match the vows that encourage submission (wife), monogamy and life long devotion?

• Doesn't fit with society's views

• I don't need the government to validate my love!

Marriage is a legal institution that only serves legal purposes. I think if you want to have a ceremony you still can do that without the need of legally marrying someone and signing a legal contract. This only complicates things later on, and puts pressure on both sides. If you love someone that love will not change wether you signed somewhere or not. Your love and commitment is internal and personal. We don't need a priest or a mulla to approve of our reunion. We are the only ones that matter in this union. Further it comes with all sorts of fees and legal processes that makes things more complicated. Many people live happily together without the need of this document!

• Marriage isn't important

Many people are still living fine even though they didn't marry. They can still upgrade their knowledge, skills, jobs, and other things. And if we marry, we can have a fight, and it costs a lot of money to be paid in the marriage. So, I think marriage isn't IMPORTANT.

• Marriage is a part of the culture

Marriage is not outdated, as people are changing so is marriage. There are different types of marriages. Marriages mostly are good to help you to take the situation seriously and make a decision on if you want to actually want to marry someone. It solidifies love and like I said- marriage is evolving with the future.

• It's Not Outdated

In my opinion, marriage is not outdated, perhaps the numbers of marriage as time goes by have gone down but marriage is definitely still relevant it is not outdated at all, people now are starting to live together first before getting married. Marriage is also a benefit for others because of financial advantages.

• Do it! Yes

No, marriage is not becoming outdated in the United States. I think that it will always be around but given the nature of humans it is going to evolve with society. More statistics have people giving up on the idea of marriage, but it doesn't have to be for everyone.

• Kill yourself peter

Dead fish is big when no hippo find 2 decent dog bones with turtle on top of mountain and nobody has a life including you George!!!Oh and dont forget my carrot is still flying in the sky with your pet cucumber in the milky way well thats all i have to say George!!!

• I don' think it is outdated

In our society many people may think that marriage is outdated but I don't think it is. I don't think it is for everyone but it is still an important concept. People give up on relationships far too easy these days, and that is easier without having to go through a divorce I suppose.

• Marriage is not a dead system.

The way I'm looking at is there's no such as a perfect system. Marriage is one of those systems. It doesn't work for everybody. Especially, for the ones that believe in "we are just mammals." I don't think it's overrated. It's beautiful to see a married couple making it last, learning about each other, arguing with each other, and unconditional love for one and another. I think the reason why it's "overrated" because of what we see across all media platforms. Celebrities divorcing after a few months, multiple marriages, film and TV glorifying the single life.

I was engaged, she broke up with me after a year of being engaged. Luckily for me I wasn't bitter. Learned that some people don't value marriage as much as others. I look at marriage differently now. I don't take it as a joke. What's worse is I think people truly don't understand how to make it work. That's why we have such high divorce rates. People think they know what they want or fantasy of what they want. That usually leads to a divorce when they don't see the whole picture. For myself she wasn't ready and it took her a year to figure it out. So I think marriage is still out there and you can make it work with the right person but I could definitely say it's harder to know for sure from the other person side. This does not mean it's overrated. Just no one is ready when they're ready. But what makes marriage great is knowing that there's someone there with you to be there with you for the rest of your life. There's no definition or perfect marriage it's just your marriage. And I think that's what makes it even more special.

• No its not

The first marriage is recorded in the book of Genesis, at the creation of the first two human beings, Adam and Eve.
    “And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made He a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man” (Gen. 2:21-23).
    Verses 24-25 further reveal that God also created sex: “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife [not common-law or live-in partner]: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.”
    God saw everything that He had created and said it was “good”—including marriage and sex, which was created for the sole purpose of the marriage relationship between man and woman—to unite them as “one flesh” and to allow them to show love toward one another.

• God given institution

We try to change and deny the institutions of marriage, the family, and the Church...But if you look at this sensibly, and if people are committed and really willing to work at it, marriage is best for everyone. As humans, we desire relationships. This is the best model to maintain and grow in relationships.

• I would disagree

Many people rush into marriage and dont have the job to support their needs. People should receive a good income and be happy with the place they are living before they consider getting married. If people would wait a few more years before marriage they may be more likely to stay with their signifiant other.

• No. The benefits of marriage are well documented.

Cross culturally, marriage is a universal human institution and in every known society brings together men and women into a public, not private union.

Marriage provides definite health and financial benefits to couples and their children. Married individuals are generally more happy than their cohabitant or single counterparts.

Marriage is our most basic social institution for protecting children. It is the relationship that every known human society depends on for raising the next generation and insuring the future well-being of the society.

What needs to happen is for the social sciences to bring into the main stream their findings on benefits and path to successful marriages. Marriages can evolve with urbanization, gender equality, partner selection, and alternate support structures.