Is mental health the biggest factor to consider in regards to the Sandy Hook shootings?

• I believe so

I think it is, you can't honestly be in your right mind walk into a school and shoot children. I think a lot of it has to do with parenting too.. many parents refuse to think their own children are capable of committing such an act, and they shove a lot of warning signs off as oh my kids just extremely shy, but in reality i bet there were tons of warning signs for this Adam Lanza before he finally snapped. I'm sure if parents were more diligent in making sure their children's mental health was not a threat it would not happen as much. Instead when our kids are too hyper we shoot them up with Ritalin, or when they scream I want to kill you we shrug it off... It's called lazy parenting.. Mental illness is a real issue, and it needs to be dealt with like it is.

• I say yes but really...

we blame to much on mental health. I pretty much 100% am with BillyTheKid. People need to be held accountable for their actions! Yes the fact that he wasnt in the right state of mind is a huge factor but we shouldnt let people who say they have mental health problems like the guy in Colorado at the movies who shot those people. People who do this need the harshest punishment.

• Mental Health has Been the Key Component in Mass Shootings

The state of mental health treatment in the US has been abysmal. Health insurance companies have strict limits on treatment for mental diseases. For those that need long term care, there is insufficient facilities for treatment.
    Most state laws restricting gun purchases for mentally ill require a judicial order of mental incompetency for the restriction to take place. The majority of mentally ill persons do not have any such restrictions, such as my state, Ohio.
    There is a lot of gun violence in US due to the availability of fire-arms. Yet Sandy Hook and other mass shootings are the result of mentally ill persons carrying out their delusions with large capacity fire-arms they should not be able to acquire.
    There needs to be more mental health care workers and facilities available. Just look at the the number of chronic homeless, of which the vast majority have some for of mental illness.

• Yes, I believe mental health is the biggest factor.

Think about it. People who aren't mentally unstable don't shoot up elementary schools. You don't need a diagnosis to be unstable. Guns don't decide to kill people. It is the gun holders who are to blame. Mental health services are expensive if not covered by insurance and many people don't have access.

• Really?

So, according to the lib anti-gun wackado's on here, it is perfectly normal for someone like Lanza to murder children?

I mean, apparently that is what they are stating... blaming the gun for the actions of the individual... oh wait... it is that whole individual responsibility thing that must be confusing you folks.

So, for the sake of argument... lets say he used a machete to do his vile deed. Does that make the machete the problem?

I bet that every lib anti-gun nutjob on here believes that the local LEO's are responsible for their safety...

Liberals....Such uninformed foolishness.

• No it isn't.

Adam Lanza was just an evil man who wanted to commit some sick disgusting act before he became too cowardly to face the consequences and killed himself.

The fact that he apparently had Aspergers Syndrome has nothing to do with that either; especially when you take into consideration that people with developmental disabilities or mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of violence than the other way around.

The reason the media chose to point out any possible mental illness was to separate him from other white males who could have done the same thing.

• Agreed

I agree with anonymous that mental disabilities doesn't stand out more than anything else. How we are raised and how we teach people to do things and how to handle anger are what can relate, however no one man will ever know the full and true reasons of the shooting.

• No I Don't Think so

I think it's impossible to decide on a biggest factor when it comes to the Sandy Hook shootings. I think our culture's perception of masculinity and the unhealthy way we raise boys and deal with aggression is also a huge factor. Gun control is an issue. There are too many factors that interplay and it is far too simplistic to say one stands out more than any other.

• No, mental health is not the biggest factor.

I feel assault weapons availability is the biggest factor. Mental health surely drove this tragedy but the type of gun used was the fuel. If semi automatic rifles were not legal for the general public then maybe the gunman could have been stopped. It would have slowed down his violence. These guns give people power they should never have. There is just no need for it.

• Mental Health is NOT A Factor in This Tragedy

1. Adam Lanza was never diagnosed with a mental disorder, that we know of. He MAY have been depressed, he may have had Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of autism: a neurological disorder.
    2. Regardless, multiple studies show that those with mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrate it.
    3. “Research has shown that the vast majority of people who are violent do not suffer from mental illnesses.” (American Psychiatric Association, 1994).
    4. “Clearly, mental health status makes at best a trivial contribution to the overall level of violence in society” (Monahan, John, 1992).