• God Of Metal

Sabbath created the genre.Metallica perfected it.It's not at all like they are singing distorted gibberish with drop D tuning. With the melodic compositions and perfect harmony they clearly are masters of creation. James with his unique voice and rhythm skills, Kirk with his wah and killer solos, and cliff who sadly faced an untimely tragedy but not before becoming a legend of the bass. Lars by their standards lack a bit but that can be forgotten as together they created the greatest Metal band ever. Yes! Not only thrash! \m/ Rule ON!

• God Of Metal

• Yes. Revolutionized Metal with balance of thrash and melody.

Metallica is obviously the most well known metal band of all time. What made them so special was their original songs like "Fade to Black" and "One" which brought in softer elements of melody then hit you in the face with hard guitar riffs and vocals. Well all of their top heavy songs are amazing to me for some the softer balanced songs like those above had the power to bring people into the thrash metal genre as it can be an acquired taste. The more you listen to certain Metallica songs the more you dive into heavier songs like Master of Puppets and Battery. I've never felt such a powerful love for a band.

• The best of all time...

Everyone knows who Metallica is even if they don't listen to that style of Music. Album sales and longevity is what makes them the best big band ever. Just think about this. Metallicas first couple of albums never got any public play or air time. Only until the late 80s did this band really get any true air time.

• Freedom, Invention, Craft

Can't think of another band in my lifetime that's truly added something to the vocabulary of modern music, took as many risks, was as creative, touched and stayed with people - all along remaining themselves. Maybe the Pixies hit some of those marks, but Metallica are on a higher level.

• Seek and destroy

Not much is needed to be said, just as their first real hit on their debuting album seeks and destroy- so does The band in the following albums. Their best songs blow all other bands out of the water. I think most people could agree that Guns N Roses and ACDC are two other bands that could be considered, and Metallica is far superior in instrumental and "song power". Their isn't a person on the planet that doesn't hear that enter sandman or for whom the bell tolls intro or that Master of Puppets riff and instantly jam along. In my opinion they've only had two disappointing albums(St. Anger and Reload) but even those albums had bright spots to some- for me it was Fuel, Unforgiven II, and memory remains in reload. And as for me, All nightmare Long is my all time favorite Metallica song!

• For many people it is.

"best" is very subjective, but tallica's music have touched and effected more people than any other metal band. You might say they aren't metal anymore which i agree to an extent, but when they were a metal band they had the world by its balls. Everyone needs to grow and so have they.

• In- Fucking- Deed...

Apart from all the statistical success, they have a kind of beauty in their music. From the riveting tunes to the incredible lyrics. They have made the metal genre transcend the stereotype of being loud and mindless into becoming the mother of great music. They have been through their ups and downs but remain the greatest...

• Yes They are

Just go and get yourself a dvd of cunning stunts and you will understand why metallica is the best band ever. The energy , the passion , the love of the audience , let alone james's voice or kirk's riff they are simply awesome , Enough Said for Metallica , Period!

• Yes, of course they are the best metal band ever

Not only does Metallica have bigger shows than any other metal band, but their shows compare to, if not exceed, the most popular musical artists of all genre's from present day, and Metallica is old. They also have sold the most albums for a metal band, were the first band to have 5 consecutive albums debut at #1 on the billboard 200, and are the currency of constant that people use to measure other metal bands. The fact that we are talking about it in this thread is even proof enough. Also most of the people on here who say Metallica is not the best metal band are saying that because "some people like different genres of music"... That's why the topic is Best "Metal" Band not Best Band

• No, it is not.

Nothing in life can ever truly honestly be the "best". I may love the band, but my friend probably does not. The best would require everyone to agree upon it and have the same view. Music is based off a variety of tastes, that is why we have so many different genres.

• No, they are not.

Metallica, along with metal bands in general, require a specific taste for that kind of music. Personally, it is not my favorite thing to listen to. That does not mean they are bad, it just means my personality differs from someone who might like them. It would be unfair to call any one band the best band ever because there is always someone who does not like that type of music.

• Metallica is not the best metal band ever.

I love Metallica, and if you ask my husband, he would tell how much they rock. However, there are so many metal bands that fit the bill. I could name two dozen metal bands whom could be considered the best metal band ever. It is up to the listeners preference.

• Not for everyone.

No, I do not think that Metallica is the best metal band ever. They are a great band and I love a lot of their songs, and I am sure some people would consider them their favorite metal band ever. However, this is not going to be the case for everyone.