• I think it depends, though I lean towards yes.

Historically, conscription has definitely been a form of slavery more often than not. There really can be no doubt in the matter. In more modern times, with conscripts in many countries receiving pay and benefits the issue becomes a little fuzzy. That said, I personally view any conscription outside of immediate domestic defense as a kind of slavery. For instance when soldiers are drafted for a war of aggression or to be sent to "protect" another nation rather than their own the notion of civic duty becomes flimsy at best. At that point a person is being denied their freedom, and quite possibly their life, purely for the political and military purposes of their government rather than as a way of fulfilling some kind of social contract. The Vietnam War and its draft process is a glaring example of this.

• Obviously it is

The answer is very clear it is slavery .
    Why debate on this ? You have to somehow force people to do it and take away their human rights from them. Not all the people all suitable for this kind of job because some people are born weak and some people are born strong for some people it is just a waste of time. Nobody have the right to force you join something according to human rights.

• It Is Forced Work

It is forced work, which is basically slavery. Arguably if the only penalty for refusal was a fine and those who couldn't afford it weren't then compelled to go to prison then it wouldn't be slavery, since you could still refuse although you'd have to pay up for it then. If we ever need that many people in the military we still shouldn't do slavery. Instead we should raise taxes high, very high on people who don't join and deny any college benefits but that's only if we are in a WW3 situation.

• Anytime you deny someone the freedom to choose you are introducing them into a form of slavery.

The ability to serve in a military should always be based on the desire too. When asked to give up your life and your future to fight and possibly die in a military organization you are giving up your freedom to choose. When any military institution feels that you are their soldier to do with as they please you loose your individuality and thus are considered slaves of the military complex.

• Absolutely yes it is.

You are basically being forced to learn how to kill or be killed. You're broken down and rebuilt as to be almost machine like. Thou shalt not kill doesn't apply in the military. You learn to kill whether you like it or not or risk fine and/or imprisonment, up to and including death if you refuse. And it may all be against your will. If that isn't slavery,then what is?

• Yes. Military conscription is a form of slavery.

Slavery still exists and ts name is "the draft". Call it conscription, the draft, or anything else, and the fact remains that forcing someone to do something without his or her consent is defined as slavery. Now, in certain countries, it is seen as an honor and duty to serve one's country. Even if this is the case, one must be paid for his or er services.

• Yes, it is.

Yes, I think military conscription is a form of slavery. Taking away a person's right to say no, and forcing them into something they may not want is in my opinion slavery. It isn't fair to make people go to war, or join a military against their will. Hopefully we are well past these days in our country.

• The Defenders of Conscription Don't Even Deny It's Slavery

Notice that, like advocates of censorship, those pimping the draft on here don't actually deny that it's slavery. There is no rational way to do that.

They, like advocates of chattel slavery in the South two centuries ago, simply invent justifications for the slavery they like. Even though you're never given a choice on membership, simply being born the peasant of some government means you somehow agreed to be enslaved. Hurrah!

If any idea, including a country, cannot survive and succeed voluntarily, it does not deserve to at all. Who could seriously deny that?

• Yes it is.

I don't think I even need to support the argument that concription is slavery but I need to fill in 50 words and I'm sweating it because I never made it to university so wish me luck and also I hope my opinion matters for once. If I'm made to serve in any cause, especially one I don't believe in without permission of course it's slavery.

• Punishment from being male

My country robbed me 12 months from my life. Why? Because I was born as a boy. I experienced conscription as little better than chattel slavery. I was completely unsuitable as a soldier, we received little to speak about decent military training and we were paid absolutely no salary - just a pittance for daily coffee and doughnut. I felt it simply was a punishment from being born as a boy, and I felt I was in prison. I had to serve solely because of my gender. You get 12 months in prison in my country from rape, robbery or aggravated assault. Is being a boy a comparable crime?

• You Agree as a Citizen

This is more of an abstract idea than a literal one. I'm not aware of the specific legal requirements for becoming or being a citizen. I doubt that they specifically include this, but nevertheless, that doesn't invalidate the point.

There are 18 years between when you're born and when you can be drafted. In that time, you have a choice: remain a citizen, or not. By remaining in a country, you agree to protect it. If the military conscription was a new thing, sprung on people unaware that it could possibly happen, that would be very different. But in this situation, there is an unsaid agreement. By remaining in the country (enjoying the safety, security, social safety net, and society in general) you make a choice.

So in summery: The conscription isn't forced labor, it's an agreement. By allowing someone to remain in a country (or by agreeing to remain a citizen of a country), one also agrees to protect it. No one's forcing you to stay here. You can always leave and find some anarchy where you'll be nice and safe from the draft (but not anything else).

By the way: If there was a draft, and do the cowardly thing and move to Candida to escape. It's not like I want there to be a conscription. I just don't think it's slavery.

• Conscription should be a part of citizenship.

Military conscription is nothing at all like slavery. Defending one's nation against enemies, or at least being prepared to do so, should be considered a civic duty and responsibility of every citizen. Military service also provides basic training for life, in learning how to work as a team, handle difficult people and situations, and developing leadership skills.

• It is the job of men.

All men must do it. Families and children would be god knows what in major wars without it. Allies won ww2 likely due to conscription. Most life forces fight for what is theirs so why can't we. You cannot coward down and hide on the edge of something you cannot escape.

• Part of Life

The idea that conscription is slavery is completely outdated. This idea has been inculcated by anti-war protesters for years. With this being said, conscription thrives in nations like Austria and Israel, where it is mandatory if you are a citizen. Conscription is a right of passage in these nations, and it should be here as well. To prevent the youth for taking their freedoms for granted, conscription should be enacted.

• No more than mandatory school.

Although ones right to say no to military service seems like slavery there are many benefits to being a citizen of a free country that people would never understand until those benefits were removed for a time. Freedom isn't free, people have paid for our rights some with their lives. If a person doesn't agree with the governments decision to go to war there are many jobs in the military that do not see combat. I believe people gain many important skills while in the military, whether they are in active combat or back home performing logistics, construction or a number of other tasks when the country is not at war.

• NO because it is not right

It would not be slavery because you are protecting your country.

THat, my good, amazing, perfect, joyous, great, just good friend that I have known since kinhvv idofjsko dfhsji jfhds judos fads fads fads fads ads fads ads ads fads fads ads fd afdsh b n f f g g gf

• NO because it is not right