Is minimalism (barefoot running) better for your health than regular running?

• Everyone in my family is barefoot!

My husband and I were raised on farms in different states. We never wore shoes, as we found them uncomfortable and finnicky. During our school holidays and weekends, we would tend to the cattle and clean the sheds, ignoring the poo and mud at the soles of our feet, knowing that they are not important. At the end of the day, we would give them a good, hard scrub to wash off the fresh manure and slime on our feet.

Our kids have been raised like this too. They literally never wear shoes outside of school. They always go outside barefoot, and inside, they are barefoot too. Occasionally, they step on dog poo, fresh cigarettes, old gum or even some vomit, but don't mind. It sounds like I am only listing negatives, but scraping your knee when you fall over can't be a reason not to run! If it is not very stinky, or it is not bleeding, they don't wash it off, as there really isn't much point, things like a squished banana comes off as you walk. Sometimes, they step on some glass, so we find where to stop the bleeding, then get home ASAP, where we disinfect it.

We've even taken them hiking. We offered to buy hiking shoes, but they declined! At the end of the day, their feet were completely covered in bindii. Their toes, the halls, arch, heel and even between the toes had bindii and mud. The thing is, they knew, but could not bother scraping or pulling them off. They never even broke stride!

It is not that bad, we were raised like this. Everyday, they end the day with a shower to wash off their jet black feet, so they can go to sleep all clean. I wear shoes in public to make us not appear ridiculous, but kids are forgiven usually for this.

We teach them to carefully survey the area. If they want to jump in a puddle, they sweep the bottom with the ball and toes of their feet. They can go anywhere, since they are so tough. Gravel, thorny grass, hot blacktop, thick mud, you name it, they can do it. They even climb barb wire and chain link fences. I tried to stop them, but they were fine, and they seem comfortable and okay stepping on the tip of a piece of cut wire. There is no point in stopping them when they are never really harmed.

Sorry for my long (almost essay-like rant) opinion. There really is no reason to stop them from doing something completely natural, as it is unhealthy to do so. They have absolutely no complaint against this, and my neighbor is just recently making her third grade daughter go out in public barefoot. She has a long way to to until she can do so in the hot sun or rain, but it is a start, and she seems a lot happier playing outside too. Maybe you should try so too.

• Yes, my entire family agrees.

• Yes, i have first hand proof.

My husband and I were both raised on farms where we would tend the livestock during our weekends and holidays. Due to the heat, we both rarely wore footwear out of school and we both just rinsed off the mud, sludge and fresh manure after a whole day of hard work. I have made my children (7, 9, and 12) adopt this idea of little to no footwear. They only wear school shoes, and formal shoes for functions etc. They never wear shoes, indoors and out. Occasionally they mag step in some dog poop or a hot cigarette, but they always ignore these things, as they are part of life. You may fall over and scrape your knee, just as you step

• It's naturally better.

Humans seem arrogantly focused on proving themselves to be better than nature. But, no matter what we do, we still find ourselves limited by the laws of physics and human traits. The truth is, the common shoe is absolutely terrible for your feet. Humans may not be meant to drive cars, or use ovens, or even have electricity. This does not mean we can't use them. Likewise, the concept of shoes is something that can be used to great benefit, provided they are designed carefully.
    Unfortunately, shoes were developed without the human body in mind. Having been a minimalist for years by this point, I've discovered that when going barefoot/minimalist I have far less foot/leg/back pain as opposed to when I'm wearing the standard type of shoe.
    I find it very hard to believe that such things are beneficial to the human body. Sure, there may be industry studies that show benefits, but there are an even greater amount of studies showing just how bad shoes can be. Because of this, I choose to go barefoot, and I feel strongly inclined to show the benefits of doing what nature intends.

• Barefoot Better For Your Health

Yes, barefoot running is better for your health than regular running in shoes. This is due to the fact that most shoes do not bend properly to the curvature of the foot, and thus cause foot and knee problems over time. Therefore, barefoot running is certainly better for your health.

• Running Is Running

I do not believe barefoot running is better for your health than regular running. The main purpose of running is to improve health, stamina, and well being. Running, either barefoot or with shoes will provide the exact same benefit. There is no reason to believe that properly fitted running shoes will cause harm, therefor one or the other is not better.