• I couldn't agree more

People are so disgusting in the way that they are. All we want are things, things, things, and even more things. My sister for example just got a new pair of sunglasses that she made my mom buy for her cause her old ones "didn't look good anymore" and the first thing she says is, " guess how much they are." Does it even matter?? There are people who literally have nothing and I know that excuse is used so so much but come on, how true? This world is full of people who want more and more and more but don't care about what it's doing to them. Materialism is a disease that the world can never find an answer to and it's sickening. I used to work at a clothing store and I just get so upset when I see grown ass teenagers in stores with their parents complaining about how they want they need and they have to have, do you need it? Does your entire life depend on it? Will the world as you know it shatter all around you if you don't get to buy that one small thing?? The answer is no. The only thing that you technically need is nourishment and water. You don't need clothes, shoes, jewelry, perfume, hair care, a car, a friggin house even. I swear to you it won't be earthquakes or tsunamis that end this world, it'll be us.

• Nowadays people can live without their parents, wife but not without there laptops and mobile.

People nowadays are more dependent on their mobiles and laptops. Cannot live in the room with their parents if there is no AC. People care about their more then their lives. Even they can break any relationship for just piece of land, bunch of jewelries, They don't have emotions for the poor if it really need the things wise man has.

• A Numbed Generation

I am only 20 years old and I can proudly say I have free'd myself of the materialistic mind I once had. I now work to go do what I want and not material posessions. It is a much healthier way to live and relatively stress free. For anyone that still lives above their means or is stuck in the mentality of constantly needing the next top brand item, I urge you to try to let go. It's a mentality that will only bring you down.

• Materialism in our society

Absolutely it is We absolutely live in a materialistic society, the western society is consumed my materialistic crap. It is bred into us to have a mortgage on a house have a nice car have a good job doing lots of hours, have toys and hobbies, as well as your kids sport and activities and many many bills to fund the lifestyle. Parents with a family barely have time to think. I often think of the current natives on tropical Islands and their relaxed lives, stress free with no bills no expectations just a basic life spending all their time with their family and each day is taken up preparing dinner, seems to good to be true.

• Materialism in our society

• People worship money

People nowadays only care about money and not others. Even families do not care about each other as our elders did. In the 21st Century only money is concerned. There are so many cases of brothers killing each other, people murdering people etc. This world is too materialistic it is horrible. People only see your money and not your goodness.

• People worship money

• Materialism has corrupted our culture.

The plague of our materialistic society is a direct result of mankind seeking satisfaction and happiness through the addiction to obtaining objects of our outward desires. Our society has been relentlessly exposed through the media to propaganda served by a capitalistic machine convincing us that the answer to our fulfillment and ultimate happiness can be purchased. It is a sad truth, really, but is a part of a system guided by monetary control.

There is nothing wrong with a hard days work in order to secure our livelihood or to experience the things in life we all enjoy, however, the machine has corrupted our culture. Our population spends the few hours of rest we have each day glued to televisions that introduce us to the next solution to our discontentment, to our hopelessness, to our need or validation, to patch our tattered egos, and to fill the void many of us have in our hearts.

• Modern peopke are materialistic

People are concerned more about money and what it can buy, these days. A lot of people feel that they can never have enough money, when they literally have too much money to spend in one life time.
    Today’s generation are taught, through media, that the only way to be completely happy is by making a lot of money, travelling the world and having all of the best and newest accessories. Women spend a lot, sometimes all, of their hard earned money on shoes, clothes, jewellery, make-up, bags, etc… and men are the same, except they spend their money on motor vehicles, clothes, television sets, guns, etc… and parents are always spending thousands of Rand's on toys and games for their children, which all go to waste as they are outdated or unusable a couple months after buying them.
    Many people think that money and materials bring happiness, which at first they do, but this joy does not last forever and will not drastically change our lives for the better. They might even end up changing our lives for the worst, as we end up using money we don’t have to pay for them or wasting money on fixing or replacing them.
    These days people are too focused on looking good and impressing others so they throw away their money, a lot of their comfort and some of their self-dignity in order to stay up date with the latest fashions and fads. People have forgotten that the most important things in their lives are not materials but are friends, family and pets. Living beings give you memories and experiences that stay with you forever and materials and objects give us happiness for a little while but can never make us feel fulfilled.
    I feel that the next evolutionary step that man will take, will not be a physical change in appearance, but rather a mental change in our egos and we will move past materials and towards selflessness, but this will probably take a lot of time and work.

• Yes, modern society is too materialistic

I have to say that I firmly believe people in today's society are too materialistic. People care less and less about each other, and more and more about what they own and what they want. It's sad if you think about it really. 60 years ago people didn't care what they wore, what car they drived, or what new things they owned - they cared about each other. People just lived life and would be friends with anyone, no matter what that person owned. Today it's much different - how often do you see extremely rich people with lots of things around middle-class people with a less amount of things? People define themselves (and their social status) on materialistic ideas.I think it's only getting worse. College kids aren't cool enough if they don't buy clothes from American Eagle, or have their own car, or spend ridiculous amounts of money on things that they want. What happened to the old days when nobody even cared? Life was about living with whatever you had and not wanting much more. That has definitely changed.
    Nigel Knop.

• All are not same

Feelings like love ,care, happiness,still exists in the society .Many people are there who does not care about material but they are bothered about their beloved ones .People are attracted towards money & material ,they are not conscious towards their society ,children as well as towards work also .THANK YOU

• Yeah but so what?

Yeah modern society is materialistic but it is so for a reason. I don't think its a problem though. Being caught up in possessions focuses our attention on the here and now. It helps us avoid heavier and deeper issues that can create fear such as death. Being materialistic is a good distraction.

• We have always been this way

It goes all the way back to 380 bc Plato hated his Greek socioty because it was to materialist then thousands of years macavellie or whatever. His views on his socioty was the same always wanting more , always wanting what you don't have then in the 70s everyone had to have the new station wagon or the big grill , my yard has to look the best. Man all the white trash people put everything on their lawn they can today is no differnt you always want what you can't have

• We like our stuff

Well no materialism isn't real. You just have to have enough stuff to be happy. So if you barely have anything your going to think materialism exists. But, say a rich person gets on here, they're not going to vote yes. I think materialism is in the eye of the beholder. As Shakespeare said. Oh yeah just go out and buy stuff, it will make you forget all about this. Lol